Looking for a low wattage amp

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Re: Looking for a low wattage amp

Post by Woodsie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:24 am

I went with the Jet City JCA22H head and an Avatar 212. The head was $399, before the 15% off coupon. I traded another amp for the cab. I also bought a Boss GT-100 with another 15% coupon. The amp itself sounds really good. Nice cleans, very good gain. I can see why some new tubes and even maybe a couple of more would really open this thing up and make it exceptional. I hear this thing is a modders dream. It's very loud for 20w. The GT now. That I wasn't sure if. It took me a day or two to get comfortable and start creating patches. I found a guy who makes them and sells them for about $8 for a bundle of 25-30. Some are ok and others are spot on. I have a JTM45 patch that I can't get enough of. I'm running it straight to the fx return of the amp. Bypassing the amps preamp. The good thing is, if something were to go down in the GT, I could run straight to the amp and not sacrifice a thing.
==================================================================

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:16 am

Really cool amp! I've seen it and read some reviews but never played one. I'm sure it sounds quite nice. :)
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:21 am

Looks like a good setup. I might be tempted to ask Jet City for a "vintage" logo for the head though. It would also be cool (literally) to make a perforated metal front panel for better ventilation that allows you to see the tubes glowing through it.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:39 pm

Randy Bass wrote:Looks like a good setup. I might be tempted to ask Jet City for a "vintage" logo for the head though. It would also be cool (literally) to make a perforated metal front panel for better ventilation that allows you to see the tubes glowing through it.
I've seen people take the back panel off and put it on the front for this reason. it's just like the front but a section of the center is cut out and a grille put in.

I just ordered some new tubes from Doug's Tubes. Should be here tomorrow. I can't wait to get them in. The amp does sound really good. Good crunch and overdrive. Cleans are nice too. My only issue so far is, single distorted notes on the unwound strings are a little harsh. I'm hoping some nice tubes will fix this.
==================================================================

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:29 pm

Someone is selling one of these heads with the matching 1x12 cab on my local craigslist. It's too bad I'm not in the market for another amp, because it's a pretty good deal.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:33 pm

Sweet amp! I saw a band play a few weeks ago and the guitarist was using one of those. I dig it, and it sounded really good.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1