Looking for a low wattage amp

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Re: Looking for a low wattage amp

Post by Woodsie » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Randy Bass wrote:I'd be thinking about something like a Pod HD500 for a cover band where you have to have virtually every sound and effect available. Then you just need a clean pedal platform I guess, unless you can always run direct to the PA.
My thoughts exactly. What makes the GT100 better is the ability to switch amp channels. The Line 6 can't.
==================================================================

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:06 pm

Marshall vintage modern combo. Not to heavy and not really loud for 50 watts.
Vintage sounds
More modern sounds.
Add a boost for more extreme sounds.
Tone is everything

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:36 am

and what about the Carvin V3M ? I've only read good things about those ugly little amps.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:26 pm

The singer/guitar player in my band uses a Jet City 20w combo and it sounds pretty damn good. Quite versatile and useful for covers.

Only thing is if you get one to make sure that the speaker is plugged into the right tap should be in the 16ohm tap but ive heard of a lot of them having the speaker plugged into the 8ohm tap

great amp tho!

Good luck

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:05 pm

I would make a couple of points:

1) the RV50 sounds fantastic at low volumes. Sure,it sounds fantastic'er louder, but it still gonna take a hell of a great amp to sound better at low gig volumes. 20 or 30w is still a very loud amp.

2) Does your cover band really need to sound like the originals? Is that really a necessity? I would personally put my own unashamed stamp on them.

3) Sounds like your PPC412 is a real problem. They are huge and so heavy, I never considered one because of that. Have you considered the OB212, or just a PPC112? If you are playing small bar/pub gigs, they make a lot more sense to me. On the few occasions I played my RV50 out, I had the clean channel volume between the 2nd and 3rd notch, dirty channel gain & volume just above the mid point. Sure the amp can be a lot louder, but it already sounds brilliant like that!

Now, if the RV50 doesn't have the tone you want or need, that's another issue.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:10 am

Well, the RV and 412 are gone. Feels strange not being an Orange owner. I ruled out the Engl today. Good cleans and really good high gain. Not really good at all with the in between tones. For the money, not worth it. I had a peavey C50 on CL and was offers an Avatar 212 in trade. What good luck. I was going to order that exact cab tomorrow. I think I'm going to order the JCA212 tomorrow and see how I like it. Short money and I can always return it.

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Post by guilleonline » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:38 pm

This will sound crazy. You might even laugh. But then again...20 pr 30 watts are not really that much softer sounding. I'm pretty sure most people here would agree. You will really have to go less than 15 to perceive some sort of a difference. You mentioned more chimey of a sound. Have you ever tried a vox ac15? The combo would give you that plus great old school gain flavors. Heck if you mic the cabI would even consider a vox AC4 and throwpedalsin front that you probably already have. Run it through a 112 or 212 And you'll be amazed at the sound. Plus you'll back will love you.

Here's that little beast

http://youtu.be/9gfPRt6AiWI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is nothing like a fender clean, but there is nothing like an orange crunch

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:36 am

That little thing sounds great. I've already pulled the trigger though. I went to GC yesterday and ordered the Jet City JCA22H. $399 plus a 15% off coupon. I can't believe the reviews this thing got. It's made by Soldano. Supposedly the lead channel is designed after the SLO 100. It's been compared to a Hot rodded Marshall. Sorry for using the M word. They say it takes pedals really well too. I also bought a Boss GT-100 with another 15% off coupon. I traded an peavey amp I had for an Avatar 212. I think I got shorted a little in that deal but whatever. The cab is much smaller and lighter than the PPC212 I used to have. I can carry it with one hand. I realize that 20w will still be pretty loud but it's only 20lbs and much smaller than my RV. I can't wait until it comes in.

jax510
Rocker

Post by jax510 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:58 am

you probably won't even notice a volume difference, especially since you weren't getting the volume very high. Mostly it will be much lighter to carry around and have less bass response but I don't even know how much that will matter in a band situation anyway.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:21 am

This is just me being pedantic however the Jet City is "designed" by Mike Soldano.

Anything built by that man would cost 10x more.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:38 am

OU818 wrote:This is just me being pedantic however the Jet City is "designed" by Mike Soldano.

Anything built by that man would cost 10x more.
Well, yes. Obviously. Seriously though, I haven't been able to find even a mediocre review from anyone hats played one.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:22 pm

The GT-100 looks pretty impressive. I like that the Accel pedal lets you control multiple effects at the same time. Combining Gain and Wah adjustments at the same time is how I get the right sound for "No Quarter" with my Fender Fuzz Wah (especially the added middle section on the "Song Remains The Same" version).

What are the specs on your Avatar cab? I want pics, dammit! :D

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:45 am

I'm quite interested in the Friedman mods available for the JCA20H.

Can't find exactly how you go about getting them however.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:41 pm

It's an Avatar Traditional in black tolex and black grille cloth. It came with some old speakers that the seller said came out of an old Fender Twin clone. I have a pair of 12" Celestions (V30, G12H30) sitting around collecting dust so I threw them in. I have to rewire it because the wiring's a little suspect. All in all, I think the other guy got the better end of this trade. I could have ordered this same cab direct from Avatar, speakerless for $300 shipped. Oh well. I'll get pics up soon.

The GT-100 is pretty cool. I haven't really been able to use it. No amp at the moment. I've been messing around trying to figure out how to edit patches and assign pedals and stuff like that. Enough to make your head spin. There's a guy, Glenn DeLuane, on Youtube that makes custom patches. Universal and artist specific. They all sound incredible. He sells them but very cheap, Like $8 for 40 really cool patches. Both straight in or 4 cable hookup.

There are a bunch of mods available for Jet City Amps. Soldano has a bunch of mods too. You can order one already modded with your choice of mods. I priced one out. Once you add all the available tone mods, not including cosmetic changes, the amp goes from $400-$1200. I think Friedman sells them already modded too. I'm not sure.

Janglin_Jack
Orange Hero

Post by Janglin_Jack » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:28 am

I have great success with my Mesa Express 5:25 1x12 combo. I has two channels and four modes. I use the Blues Mode for my Clean and Crunch Mode for Marshall-esque tones. I put in an Eminence Wizard (103 db sensitivity). It is pleny loud for a bar gig small club. It needs some help at outdoor gigs.

Otherwise a 40watt Fender combo would be nice with a good pedalboard.

Mike
"...weak with evil and broken by the world."