NCD... again and pic of my 2 Orange rigs

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:19 am

Well after liking my first Orange 1X12 so much I decided to get another one and stack them. I was unsure how it would sound so I figured worse case I'll just use it for home practice. I went to our jam spot tonight and experimented with a whole bunch of cab configurations and to my surprise it sounded awesome with 2 1X12's stacked! I even compared against a Mesa Boogie 4X12 and liked the Orange mini stack better. Now I just need to jam with the band to see if this will be my new live setup.

DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Re: NCD... again and pic of my 2 Orange rigs

Post by rrrajo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:53 am

Noish!
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

Bensnake
Orange Master

Post by Bensnake » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:50 am

Nice! Have you compared your two 112's to a 212 cab?
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:16 am

Bensnake wrote:Nice! Have you compared your two 112's to a 212 cab?
Yep. The 2 1X12's had more thump than the 2X12. There has been a lot of debate over which sounds better all things being equal (dimensions, speakers, wood, construction), etc. between a 2X12 and 2 1X12's... after doing this test I tend to believe they are the same or so close you can't really tell the difference. Now if you'd go test this against an Orange 2X12... you'd be testing against a bigger cab so it would probably sound more full, etc. However, my personal taste isn't always that bigger is better when it comes to cabs. I don't particularly like 4X12's, I find them too beamy when you stand in front of them. I tend to like vertically stacked speakers as you can probably tell.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:54 am

thats awesome! I dig your vertical black stack too. I like stacks higher as well, since I am 6'2'' and at practice the speakers hitting my knees dont do much good.

I am thinking of getting two orange 212ppc-openback cabs and putting eminence tonkerlite neodymiums in and converting to closed back so that they are very lightweight but still passable for doom heavy rock music. I know you dig the neodymium from eminence, the lil texas.

Your stack looks to be the perfect option! Cheers :twisted:
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

saturnine
Rocker

Post by saturnine » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:45 am

That looks so nice!!

I'm actually thinking of getting a second PPC112 myself and stack them like that. Could be very convenient to bring it to smaller/medium gigs and still have a stack. On the really small gigs I could actually lend the 2nd cab to our rhythm guitar player and we'll both have very portable rigs :)
Orange RV50 MK I Head
Orange PPC412
Orange PPC112 x2
Orange Micro Terror
Ibanez TSA15H
2x Gibson SG Standard
Peter Naglitsch Custom
Fender Tele ´72 Roadworn
Fender Tele FSR Custom
Squier Tele Classic Vibe
Jackson ATX
Jackson TH-2
Hagström Viking
Pedals...

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Congrats on the cab!!!

For your next cab, you will need a L shaped one so that it can stand On top of your current set up and complete a Tetris look at the same time.... ;)

How many of those do you take out for gigs?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:09 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:...For your next cab, you will need a L shaped one so that it can stand On top of your current set up and complete a Tetris look at the same time.... ;)
Brilliant! I'm thinking that I need a 4x12 L-Cab with 3 speakers across the bottom and one up high with the head sitting on the low part. Red Bear should make a comeback with the "Tetris" line of amps. I want a Kremlin 30!

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:13 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:Congrats on the cab!!!

For your next cab, you will need a L shaped one so that it can stand On top of your current set up and complete a Tetris look at the same time.... ;)

How many of those do you take out for gigs?
Hahaha... don't give me any ideas! I actually own another 2X10 cab covered in Orange tolex, but it's not L shaped unfortunately :(

I haven't brought these 2 new Orange 1X12 cabs out to a gig yet... but I just got back from jamming with them and I'm pretty sure this will replace my live setup. It sounded great and the rest of the band agreed I should start using the 2 1X12's live.

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:14 am

Hi, there's quite a few people here use 2 1x12s ....me being one of them. I like the sound, convenience and weight they also look good and help to project the sound when used in a stack. Ive recently started using a Celestion G12H in one of the Cabs (the other has the standard V30) and first impressions are that they sound good together.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 pm

Congrats... me too,
I used two 1x12 marshall cabs exclusively in the 90s with my rack setup which sat nicely on top and did look pretty cool I thought. They presently are loaded with the V30s that came with a JMP50 combo.

I've just finally pulled two vintage G12h's from my old Orange 4x12 and installed them in the JMP50 actually and they do sound pretty nice at low levels using a hotplate so far. I've a rehearsal for a recording session Tuesday so I might leave it as is at present but I'm gonna have to try this V30/G12h combination :)
Paul.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:44 pm

everdrone wrote:thats awesome! I dig your vertical black stack too. I like stacks higher as well, since I am 6'2'' and at practice the speakers hitting my knees dont do much good.

I am thinking of getting two orange 212ppc-openback cabs and putting eminence tonkerlite neodymiums in and converting to closed back so that they are very lightweight but still passable for doom heavy rock music. I know you dig the neodymium from eminence, the lil texas.

Your stack looks to be the perfect option! Cheers :twisted:
Hmm... do you know of anyone who's tried converting the 212ppc OB to a closed back? I'm maybe considering selling the rest of my cabs and doing this as well. I could get a 2X12PPC closed back... but I keep hearing how it's awkward and heavy to carry around.

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:21 pm

I mainly got the idea from the awesome forumites here! I was the naysayer... now I dig it tho 8) RE:

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49407" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I originally thought it was not a good idea but Andy and others explained that ya it will not sound as bassy but that guitar speakers do not need a specific amount of air for closed back.

don't get the 212Ppc closed back! thats what I have, it is way too heavy if you go up stairs or have to lift a lot by yourself. 62 pounds and bulky is aweful for one person over a long period of time. I would put the neodymiums in it and it would weigh 35 pounds closed back 212.

The amount of force placed on your back under certain conditions can be surprising. Anytime you bend or lean over to pick something up, you put tremendous pressure on your lower back.

To demonstrate this, think of your back as a lever. With the fulcrum in the center of the lever, how many pounds would it take to lift a ten pound object?

When you add in the 105 pounds of the average human upper torso, you see that lifting a ten pound object actually puts 1,150 pounds of pressure on the lower back. In my line of work I have seen A TON of serious low back injuries. I lift correctly and use a back brace when lifting this bulky item. More than one million workers suffer back injuries account annually, and these account for one in five workplace injuries (Bureau of Labor Statistics). 80% of these injuries are to the low back (lumbar spine). Back injuries cost the US economy billions of dollars each year. I am glad I do not have one, I would settle for a little less or more tone with neodymium speakers; I just want to avoid getting any back injury ;)

MINIMIZING RISKS is why I want speakers that weigh 15 pounds less

My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:06 pm

Cool... seriously considering doing this to a PPC212 open back too. I probably wouldn't need to put neo speakers in it, but it would be way easier to move around than the bigger closed back version.

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Forrrest
Tiny Terror

Post by Forrrest » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:04 pm

man up guys, get the PPC412, and then get a 2nd.
my band: https://neargrey.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;