eBay Fees?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

myboss57
Orange Master

eBay Fees?

Post by myboss57 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:24 pm

So I'm thinking of throwing my OD120 up on eBay, Craigslist is just not working out and I'm open to the idea of expanding my market and shipping if I have to. I haven't sold on eBay before, but I know there are fees associated with it. Any idea how that works or if they are astronomical? Any other things to keep in mind from any of you more salted eBay sellers??
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

waswell

Re: eBay Fees?

Post by waswell » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:55 pm

You will lose about 10% of the sale price to ebay and Paypal fees. You might not get top dollar either if you have a zero feedback rating as most aren't willing to take a chance on a newbie. If the amp gets damaged in transit you are responsible, not the buyer, so you better insure it and pack it according to the freight carriers regulations or they will deny your claim. I sell on ebay all the time but got burned when selling a Gibson ES339. Just remember you are at the mercy of the buyer. I no longer sell guitar equipment through ebay - it's craigslist or nothing.

IMHO I would continue with craigslist or have a local music store sell it for you on consignment. Too much risk in shipping high $ gear.

Good luck and keep us posted as to how it worked out.

jax510
Rocker

Post by jax510 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:06 pm

you could also try thegearpage they have an amp and cab selling forum and i think its like 5 bucks for a month to post on it or a little more for a year. just sell to someone with plenty of posts/buys. way lower fees than ebay!

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Yeah, I really might just hold off on eBay. I don't think it's worth my time. And since I never sell on there it might just sit there too!

And I definitely don't want to deal with any fees or buyer hassles, I've never had a problem with CL, so maybe I'll just keep it there.

Good point on the Gearpage! I might look into that. Thanks!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:27 pm

beats fees are ridiculous now. It's my last resort. The other thing I don't like is they don't take the fee right away. They sting you a month later.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:13 pm

Jondog wrote:beats fees are ridiculous now. It's my last resort. The other thing I don't like is they don't take the fee right away. They sting you a month later.
UGH, that would make it even worse! Looks like I'm just going to wait it out on Craigslist.
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:22 pm

I too have had a horrible time with eBay. They lured me in with their advertisement of "Special promotion, list your item for free!", then they and "You're gonna Pay, Pal," stung me with all kinds of fees later that I had no idea were coming, and held my money for a month even though the buyer received the item and left positive feedback within the week. Their customer service has been useless every time I've had to contact them, too. I personally have had such bad experiences with them I completely avoid it now just on principle of not giving them any more of my money.
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

Forrrest
Tiny Terror

Post by Forrrest » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:25 pm

you should post it in CL of other cities within a 3hour radius too. someone who wants this amp will be willing to drive for it.
someone in NewYork or Washington probably doesn't check your CL, but would glad they saw you ad.

I've seen your ad and imho your Cl ad has too much info.
keep it simple. age, any mods, price. if you want to embellish just mention how it blows away new oranges amps, needs to be heard to fall in love. get them in the door and let the amp do the talking. a buyers imagination is the best seller.
my band: https://neargrey.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:49 pm

Invin wrote:I too have had a horrible time with eBay. They lured me in with their advertisement of "Special promotion, list your item for free!", then they and "You're gonna Pay, Pal," stung me with all kinds of fees later that I had no idea were coming, and held my money for a month even though the buyer received the item and left positive feedback within the week. Their customer service has been useless every time I've had to contact them, too. I personally have had such bad experiences with them I completely avoid it now just on principle of not giving them any more of my money.
Damn, that is some bullshit man. I'd do the same thing if they did that to me! I don't use eBay too often myself, bought my SG off of there and another guitar (that I later sold cause I couldn't get on with it) and haven't had any issues. Sounds like as a seller though, it's a rough time.
Forrrest wrote:you should post it in CL of other cities within a 3hour radius too. someone who wants this amp will be willing to drive for it.
someone in NewYork or Washington probably doesn't check your CL, but would glad they saw you ad.

I've seen your ad and imho your Cl ad has too much info.
keep it simple. age, any mods, price. if you want to embellish just mention how it blows away new oranges amps, needs to be heard to fall in love. get them in the door and let the amp do the talking. a buyers imagination is the best seller.
Yeah, I've got it posted to Philly (about 2 hrs North) and Richmond (about 2 hrs south) now, I guess I could expand that Westward too. I sort of figured that anybody within a 4 hour radius of me will do like I do with CL if there's something I want, search areas that are 4 or so hours away just to see if the item I'm looking for is at all nearby (if it's not in my city). But maybe throwing it up in NYC area would be a good idea. One serious buyer (deal fell apart, he wanted me to ship, and I told him I was nervous about it, and I never heard back) was in Buffalo, so it is getting seen at least.

I'm not sure how my ad contains too much info, but I appreciate the feedback. I may tweak it. I've never had issues selling stuff through CL before and I've sold guitars, pedals, and other amps on it in the past. I know with this sort of amp, it seems people know what it is and are either wanting/looking for one or they're not.
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:56 pm

myboss57 wrote:One serious buyer (deal fell apart, he wanted me to ship, and I told him I was nervous about it, and I never heard back) was in Buffalo, so it is getting seen at least,
It's crazy how flakey people are! I've had deals where guys said they want the item and are sending the money that day, then they drop out of contact and don't even bother to tell me they don't want it anymore. There's just no common courtesy... instead of saying "no" or telling you what's up, people just leave you hanging. I feel guilty for even changing my mind about something when I tell them in advance I won't be buying it anymore, let alone just leaving the person in the dark about the whole deal, especially something as big as a vintage amp.
TH 30
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:03 pm

Invin wrote:It's crazy how flakey people are! I've had deals where guys said they want the item and are sending the money that day, then they drop out of contact and don't even bother to tell me they don't want it anymore. There's just no common courtesy... instead of saying "no" or telling you what's up, people just leave you hanging. I feel guilty for even changing my mind about something when I tell them in advance I won't be buying it anymore, let alone just leaving the person in the dark about the whole deal, especially something as big as a vintage amp.
It really is man. It happens so much with CL, I don't know if it's just lack of etiquette or the anonymity of the internet, but it definitely sucks. I always try to respond to emails, even if it's a negative response. I had a guy ask me where I was located (city) and I told him and he's like, "oh, I'm waaay up in NJ, I guess this won't work." And I responded, "I actually will be heading up towards NJ for something this next week, if you want we can meet up." And I never got a response back. Sigh...I hate the internet. :lol: I guess he just wasn't serious. The guy was only a few hours up and right along the way I was going and everything.
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:11 am

Not to seem negative, but for me it is definitely a case of "NOT ME-Bay!", and "NO WAY-Pal"...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:02 pm

a.hun wrote:Not to seem negative, but for me it is definitely a case of "NOT ME-Bay!", and "NO WAY-Pal"...

Andy.
:lol: :lol: yeah, seems to be what I'm going with now too after looking into things.
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

woodddj
Tiny Terror

Post by woodddj » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:58 am

I sold a DSL50 head on ebay last year. the guy left pos feedback stating everything was as described, amp works 100% with no issues. so that give me the go ahead to pay my fee's and use the money to buy something else. about 30 days later, the guy sent me a email stating the amp didn't work properly and he was going to open a case against me in the resolution center. I told him to go ahead and open the case. I figured since he left pos feedback stating everything worked 100%, he didn't have a chance. man was I wrong, ebay sided with the buyer because it was within the 45 day period and I had to refund the money plus pay for shipping. I got the amp back and nothing was wrong with it. ebay can kiss my ass!! I still buy from ebay because I know im protected, but those ass clowns will not get another penny from me.

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:12 am

woodddj wrote:I had to refund the money plus pay for shipping
Man that's some BS! If they change their mind after leaving positive feedback they should at least have to pay the shipping.

I bought a refurbished iPod stereo dock on eBay and found the sound quality very poor when turned up (maybe I'm too much of an audiophile from being a guitar player, but my old $80 Wal-Mart CD player from 10 years ago sounded better), and I paid the return shipping because it technically worked. No wonder they were so eager to accept the return, they probably knew I could demand they pay the $35 shipping if I made a dispute of it.
TH 30