Micro Terror stack? Other suggestions??

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:16 pm

So, I've now decided to sell my Tiny Terror 1x10 combo too. It's just too much amp and I bought it as a practice amp for my townhouse. I, incorrectly, figured I'd at least be able to crank it somewhat on the 7watt setting, but the pour thing is stifled.

Now I've decided to try and sell it and then downgrade to a cheaper solid state amp for home jamming. Was thinking a micro terror stack would be cool, since it still has that tube pre-amp, and I could likely get a good use out of it. Any other suggestions for inexpensive home use amps? I had a Crush a while back, but something was wonky with that one and it never sounded good. I assume it was just something with the one I had (bought it from some kid off of CL, don't think it was well taken care of), I've heard decent things about them otherwise. My bassist has it now for home use, since I got the Terror. Part of me was even debating buying a cheap Line 6 Spider Jam amp again, just for the hell of it and because it would fun to mess around with all the weird onboard effects.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Micro Terror stack? Other suggestions??

Post by Jondog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:52 pm

I'm going off Orange for this one, but seriously take a look at Blackstar ID series amps. I don't care what the nay sayers say, best solid state amps I've heard. Just like a tube amp. Better than Axe fx in my opinion.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:18 pm

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm hoping to not spend more than $200, at the most. I'll have to maybe swing by my local shops and see what's what once I get my Tiny Terror sold.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:26 pm

Or you could get a decent attenuator, and keep using the Tiny Terror

EDIT: as it is the combo version using an attenuator will be a bit fiddly
Last edited by jontheid on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:07 pm

What about one of those VOX TV4 amps? They are dirt cheap and you can switch them down to 1/4 watt!

I have tried a variety of Blackstar amps and to be honest I don't get what everyone likes about them. Even the ones with the tubes sound pretty dull in my opinion.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:55 pm

I haven't thought about the attenuator, and I've never used one before anyways. But ultimately I'd like to just go with something lower powered and more suitable to my living conditions. But that is an option maybe.

A 1/4 watt would be great! Yeah, I guess suggestions are good from all of you, but ultimately we'll have our differences in what sounds good or not to us. But keeping them coming, I like hearing about amps that I might not otherwise even think to consider. Thanks!
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:20 pm

In my opinion, your TT at volume equal to an acoustic guitar sounds better than any SS amp.

Turning up is better, but even at low volume they are pretty good.

I fear you may find that whatever "better" alternative you find may not be better at all...
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:00 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:I fear you may find that whatever "better" alternative you find may not be better at all...
I'd tend to agree. I think the TT has a really solid master volume. I think sometimes the thin sound of an low volume amp lends a lot to just not being able to move the speaker honestly. Either way I hope you find something that does exactly what you want.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:11 pm

If you were to go with a Micro Terror, I don't think you'd be happy with the PPC108. It's a gimmick in my eyes. Micro Terror sounds great. I actually like the Vox Lil' night train better. Has a headphone/line out too. They can be found used $100- $200.

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:37 am

I'd tend to agree with Les Paul Lover, to be honest: stick with the TT and just turn it down a bit. If you really can't bear that or it's still too loud, then I'd say you need to forget an amp and look at something like a Line6 pod, with headphones
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:30 am

I was not happy with my TT combo as a bedroom amp, so I use a Vox Cambridge 15 and a M*rshall Micro Stack to cover low volume playing. Solid-state amps seem to deliver bass frequencies more effectively at low volumes. You can just buy the Micro Terror head first and use it as a headphone amp and then add a cab or two later. That's what I've been considering.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:05 am

If you already have a decent cab then the Micro Terror might be ok for your budget and probably the best alternative if you wanna keep some of the Orange sound, otherwise I might look at other SS combo amps personally. There's kind of a fine line where the TT starts to sound good as a low volume amp imo. It can sound very good, better than almost any SS amp at moderately loud practice volume. But if you can't get to that point of loud, I'd probably look at just getting a good SS amp.

Based on my experience, just gonna recommend good SS amps that I've owned and liked that can all be had for close to your budget. Roland Cube, Kustom KGA-65, Randall G2 series.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:58 am

Don't get me wrong, the TT sounds great even at low volumes, it just drives me nuts to have it never be able to crank it. Kind of like having a Ferrari and never opening it up. I don't know, we'll see if I end up even able to sell it. In the meantime I'll have to check out some local shops and see what's what in the lower wattage arena.
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:57 am

myboss57 wrote:Don't get me wrong, the TT sounds great even at low volumes, it just drives me nuts to have it never be able to crank it. Kind of like having a Ferrari and never opening it up. I don't know, we'll see if I end up even able to sell it. In the meantime I'll have to check out some local shops and see what's what in the lower wattage arena.

I understand your point - I want to push my AD15 harder too, it's master isn't as good as my RV50 or TT I have tried. It still sounds very good with the volume set on the 1st notch, and I practice with it that way most times. If I need to play quieter, o just don't plug in, both my LP & Vigier still sound incredible unplugged.

I use to have a SS amp - I sold it after never plugging into it after getting my RV50.... At home that was.... YMMV.

And could your TT keep yo u going after you sell your OD120?
Have you tried for practices/show?
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:30 am

kmlabs wrote:I'd tend to agree with Les Paul Lover, to be honest: stick with the TT and just turn it down a bit. If you really can't bear that or it's still too loud, then I'd say you need to forget an amp and look at something like a Line6 pod, with headphones
:wave:
Ant