Strymon, this is gonna cost me...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Strymon, this is gonna cost me...

Post by Jondog » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:15 am

They are coming out with a reverb unit under the same platform as the Timeline and Möbius. Strymon Big Sky.
http://www.strymon.net/bigsky/

Gray
Orange Expert

Re: Strymon, this is gonna cost me...

Post by Gray » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:17 am

I have a BlueSky / El Capistan pair. Love love love them.

I guess the BigSky / Timeline would be the big brother equivalent. They make such great effects, one of the few 'boutique' pedal makers worthy of being called boutique.

starling1
Rocker

Post by starling1 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:00 am

I think I might have fallen out of love with strymon. I only own the Timeline, which is a great pedal, but aim to sell it for the empress superdelay vintage mod (a pedal which I regret selling very much).

Be interesting to see a review of this new puppy though. Let us know how you go with it.

Also the el capistan is a GREAT tape delay. Ditto bluesky reverb. Pretty much everything strymon do, really...

s

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:46 am

Ok it sounds really nice........ but reverb to me is more a set and forget thing?

It might be ideal in a recording studio, but for the gigging guitarist, i'm not so sure.
You can easily lose yourself in delays, but reverb???

In any case, I have a RV50 MKI, so i have the infamous crazy reverb...... So i can dial just a touch of it, or be lost in the middle of the hugest cathedral ever....... :lol: j/k, i know that strymon unit will be so much more than my reverb, but I couldn't see myself using that many reverbs presets to make it worth my while.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Post by ECWeagles » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:45 pm

I can't help feeling that this is overkill. The Timeline is a superb unit, but when they bought out the Mobius I thought there was a great deal of overlap with the Timeline. In a sense I think the same with this unit.
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:03 pm

ECWeagles wrote:I can't help feeling that this is overkill. The Timeline is a superb unit, but when they bought out the Mobius I thought there was a great deal of overlap with the Timeline. In a sense I think the same with this unit.
Really?I own the Mobius and Timeline. Completely different, main thing being one is a delay unit and the other is a modulation/filter/tremelo unit. The strymon stuff is Quality, and for that quality it's CHEAP. I sold off 5 pedals when I got the Mobius and don't miss them. Those five pedals more than paid for the mobius and now I have less cables and used up space at my feet, plus more effects than ever. The Timeline is a phenomenal delay unit, and after many units the only one I've been happy with. Honestly, I'd go for the Blue Sky unit, but for an extra $150 you get sooo much more which is just fun to mess with.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:54 pm

I'll agree with the Strymon overlap. I had the Mobius for a few days and it was essentially the same unit as the TimeLine except that the sounds were instant instead of delayed. After a few demos of the BigSky I'm feeling the same way. I can coax quite a few of these ambient type tones out of my TimeLine.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Really, my timeline doesn't provide me with what the mobius does, phasers, tremelos, vibes, rotary, +,+,+ and it certainly can't replicate classic pedals like the mobius.. The timeline does have modulations, but why shouldn't it? Alot of delay pedals do. They are the ultimate effects pedals.

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:42 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:Ok it sounds really nice........ but reverb to me is more a set and forget thing?

It might be ideal in a recording studio, but for the gigging guitarist, i'm not so sure.

In any case, I have a RV50 MKI, so i have the infamous crazy reverb...... So i can dial just a touch of it, or be lost in the middle of the hugest cathedral ever....... :lol: j/k, i know that strymon unit will be so much more than my reverb, but I couldn't see myself using that many reverbs presets to make it worth my while.
Having different reverb on different sounds is not something totally stupid. The one reverb approach is fine, that was mine for years, but being able to have a different reverb color for rythm, crunch, lead, etc is something I find now really efficient.

For eq I use modern reverb (tight and clean) with lead sounds, moreover if I have a delay on. Vintage style reverb (spring, plates) are doing very well on rythm guitar.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:40 am

Hubaxe wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:Ok it sounds really nice........ but reverb to me is more a set and forget thing?

Having different reverb on different sounds is not something totally stupid. The one reverb approach is fine, that was mine for years, but being able to have a different reverb color for rythm, crunch, lead, etc is something I find now really efficient.

For eq I use modern reverb (tight and clean) with lead sounds, moreover if I have a delay on. Vintage style reverb (spring, plates) are doing very well on rythm guitar.

You have a Gsystem coupled to your TH100, haven't you?

I guess that would then make sense. If you wanted different reverb on leads or rythms or even different reverbs for different rythms, but to make any use of such a pedal, you need a MIDI controler. I guess once you have made that step, any of the Strymon offering becoes a lot more appealing because you can actually unleash its potential.

Having just gone from owning 2 dust gathering effects to 6 that I actually use in the last year, I must admit the thought of a MIDI controler is a bit frightening... :lol:

I'm sure it's got plenty of good uses and a G system or the likes would make a lot more sense than buying further individual pedals...... that said...... I dont need much more...... a reverb.... a fuzz factory...... a boost....... a......
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote: You have a Gsystem coupled to your TH100, haven't you?

I guess that would then make sense. If you wanted different reverb on leads or rythms or even different reverbs for different rythms, but to make any use of such a pedal, you need a MIDI controler. I guess once you have made that step, any of the Strymon offering becoes a lot more appealing because you can actually unleash its potential.

Having just gone from owning 2 dust gathering effects to 6 that I actually use in the last year, I must admit the thought of a MIDI controler is a bit frightening... :lol:

I'm sure it's got plenty of good uses and a G system or the likes would make a lot more sense than buying further individual pedals...... that said...... I dont need much more...... a reverb.... a fuzz factory...... a boost....... a......
I don't have a G System, just a stupid simple G-Sharp. I have also a small Nobels MS4 midi switcher (for the amp channel).

So basically, the midi controller (midimate) act like a channel switcher, with more option (eq Clean reverb, Clean chorus, Dirty dry, dirty reverb, dirty delay..).
I keep a few pedal (volume, tuner, wah, booster, distortion).

It's a very simple setup that allows me to dial a new sound and recall it as I need in seconds.

Pedals have the restriction of having 1 setup. For example it's good to be able to apply the right chorus/reverb sound for a song.
That's why now more and more quality pedals have a midi control option. Pedals are becoming small floor racks :D
the STRYMON MOBIUS is one of those, same with the impressive EVENTIDE H9.

To get the real advantage of such pedals, a midi controller is not an option, otherwise you're buying such a pedal to dial one sound!! It's like driving a sport car, and use only the first gear!!

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:49 pm

Can you guys who use a lot of reverb post some music that uses a lot of reverb? I would like to know where I'm out of the loop on it so I genuinely am curious and particularly anything live that uses a lot of reverb textures.

It's been a long time since I've used reverb outside of the studio and that was back when I had Fender amps. I play a lot more live now days than record so I've completely dropped reverb as I never felt present in the mix with it.

I have an El Cap, which is on all the time to thicken up my single coils and I have, and use a Mobius every gig for many of the songs. Probably 50-60% to get some differentiation from the other guitarist.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:01 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:Can you guys who use a lot of reverb post some music that uses a lot of reverb? I would like to know where I'm out of the loop on it so I genuinely am curious and particularly anything live that uses a lot of reverb textures.

It's been a long time since I've used reverb outside of the studio and that was back when I had Fender amps. I play a lot more live now days than record so I've completely dropped reverb as I never felt present in the mix with it.

I have an El Cap, which is on all the time to thicken up my single coils and I have, and use a Mobius every gig for many of the songs. Probably 50-60% to get some differentiation from the other guitarist.
I mainly use a spring reverb, but I like experimenting with sounds. You can do neat things with attack and decay, shimmer type sounds. It's more for adding texture and filling space than anything, just have to be careful not to muddy the sound up.

Forrrest
Tiny Terror

Post by Forrrest » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:15 pm

is it gonna bump my eventide space off my board?
my band: https://neargrey.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:17 pm

I don't use lots of reverb, in live situation it's dangerous and your sound can just get lost in the mix.
Getting the correct decay, color, etc on the correct sound saves from the muddy sound.
You can always compromise, but then you'll have to choose between a sweet springy rhythm tone and a spacy but accurate lead sound.
That's directly related with the kind of music we all play. If I'd play root blues, I'd probably go for a one button spring reverb.
Nowadays so much gear exists. Everybody can find what he needs, but we can easily be lost with all those nice appealing stuff :D