Zoom G3X suprisingly good

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

starling1
Rocker

Zoom G3X suprisingly good

Post by starling1 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:02 am

This pedal only cost me around 280$ AU, and it is suprisingly good for a multi-unit. I bought it on the recommendations of a friend, and really didn't want to. I had memories of the bad old days of zoom muli-boards (really cheap and nasty sounding effects) but I'm glad I bought this thing. The amp models are actually very good--far and away superior to the line 6. Like, they are really, really good. Cubase is rubbish, of course, but I can get around that.

Looper is great. Very easy to use. In fact, the whole thing is incredibly logical and user-friendly. I have managed to figure out what everything does and how it does and why without picking up the booklet, so far. Has tap tempo and all the bells and whistles, midi interface, usb ports/ fire port etc. REALLY good for bedroom recording, can overdub loops and everything.

I have an eventide space, and compared to that this thing is a dream. It actually has an effect which sounds very, very close to blackhole, which is pretty much the only reason I bought the space, and I will probably now sell it.

Build construction was the big surprise; this thing is sturdy, full metal casing. Stomp switches feel meaty and in no way loose or brittle. Ditto all dials and even the wah pedal/ expression pedal, which comes as standard.

Interface is sen-freaking-sational, I must say. A monkey could look at this thing and immediately understand what is happening, which is good, because I suspect I might be one.

The effects range from very good to meh. However I have spent lots of money on stomp boxes which are meh, in any case, so no disappointment there.

Best thing of all is that it works well, beyond all my hopes and expectations, with the TT. I REALLY hadn't expected that.

Still looking for a reason to hate this thing purely based on my hatred of the ZOOM brand, but not finding one...

S