new member - 1st question[s]

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

buttahz

Post by buttahz » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:25 am

Hi Everyone,
Ive only just dicovered Orange amps and am quite interested in the AD140TC head.
* Just wondering if the feature of "Silent Channel Switching" means it will be by footswitch ?

* As ive noticed the AD140 is said "There’s no FX loop, footswitch, LEDs, bells or whistles "
So yeah i was just wondering how you would switch from Clean to Dirty?

*Also, I was also just wondering [excuse my ignorance] are these suitable for very heavy down tuned metal/hardcore ?.

At the moment im currently playing a '70 Gibson SG through a Peavey 5150 II w/- Boss GE-7 EQ and trying to get the biggest ,fattest sound i can get, and im still not satisfied.

Thanks

Tibor
Orange Hero

Post by Tibor » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:41 pm

the AD140 is the customShop amp with ptp, singlechannel no leds.....
the AD140TC is the normal production twinchannel amp..footswitchable...

Why is an ORANGE, orange? If it would be Green it would be an apple....

ecto coolest
Rocker

Post by ecto coolest » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:57 am

orange on its own is definetely not suitable for very heavy down tuned metal/hardcore (crowbar?). maybe with pedals you could get the sound you are after, but there are lots of cheaper amps you could get and do the same thing.
1971 OR120 (Plexi Panel, Big Pix Only)
1994 Fender Jaguar (Seymour Duncan Humbuckers, Gibson Nashville Bridge)
2002 PPC412 (British V30s)

ryz62

Post by ryz62 » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:37 pm

Go Mesa Boogie Rectifier if you want a huge metal sound, you will be satisfied.

corduroy909
Tiny Terror

Post by corduroy909 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:28 am

I'm interested in buying an AD30TC and I havent had a chance to play through one. The dealer in my neck of the woods has Orange amps on back order. I know everybody has their own personal opinion, but I was just wondering, how big of a difference is there between the two channels? Is there any need of anykind of distortion pedals to get really dirty? And, how is the tone with the gain cranked way up? Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Jason M. Thomas
Jason

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:22 pm

I think that you can make the two channels sound identical if you want. I didn't think they were voiced differently- you can just add as much gain as you want and tinker with the tone knobs to get your sound. I like the idea that they're the same to begin so it's easy to know what to add or change for the second channel unlike my Marshall 6101 which has three totally different channels and who knows what's going on with those? They don't even have the same knob configurations for the three channels...

Leron

Post by Leron » Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:03 pm

A new matamp GTL on the other hand may come a bit closer to what you're after. No footswitch though, but they could do that for you (custom) or make it dual channel too. The newer ones are (sorry orange) cheaper, supreme low end when called for, louder (+ half power switch), higher gain (they do mesa gain at crank) etc. etc. I could go on but I will stop myself (I have one and it's great so I feel the need to praise it).

Meole
Orange Master

Post by Meole » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:18 am

There is truth to this. I have both Orange and Matamp.
Love both equally. The Matamp cost me considerably less, can be custom built to your personnel liking,
and has a little more tone at each end, but both work very well with me!

corduroy909
Tiny Terror

Post by corduroy909 » Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:05 am

Thanks for the info...I guess I just need to hear for myself, find what best suits me...u know. I will definetly let everyone know if I go Orange.

Jason M. Thomas
Jason