Glow in the dark

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Doctor Volume
Tiny Terror

Glow in the dark

Post by Doctor Volume » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:31 pm

Ahoy, I was wondering about glow in the dark fret markers. When i play my Ovation by the fire for a little late night entertainment, I have trouble seeing where I'm at from time to time.

I just recently tried glow in the dark duct tape. I put it behind the fret dots on the neck (under the thumb). It wasn't bad, but after an hour or so, its starts peeling off.

I was wandering if anyone else has tried putting glow in the dark fret markers on their guitars with better success.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Glow in the dark

Post by bclaire » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Doubt it would be bright enough to make a difference. I've heard of guys putting in cubic zirconia in place of side markers as they catch the light and sparkle...

Doctor Volume
Tiny Terror

Post by Doctor Volume » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:40 pm

I was thinking about some glow in the dark glue (if its made) and just putting little dots on. i think it would be smoother than the duct tape too.
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:24 pm

I think the glow in the dark spot would take away from the whole romantic idea of playing in the dark by the fire.
-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:33 pm

https://fretfx.com/testimonials.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doctor Volume
Tiny Terror

Post by Doctor Volume » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:49 am

0000 wrote:I think the glow in the dark spot would take away from the whole romantic idea of playing in the dark by the fire.

I think wrong notes take away from the romantic idea. :wink:

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:40 am

Doctor Volume wrote:
0000 wrote:I think the glow in the dark spot would take away from the whole romantic idea of playing in the dark by the fire.
I think wrong notes take away from the romantic idea. :wink:
Think you've got problems? I play fretless bass. My philosophy: there are no wrong notes, just notes you may need to tastefully slide towards! :lol:

Seriously though, bit strange but if I am jamming I actually feel more comfortable playing fretless than fretted. If you get it wrong with frets it really IS wrong!

Here is another idea for you:
http://www.fretlord.com/ProductDetails. ... ode=FRTLTZ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They've thought of everything you know!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Doctor Volume
Tiny Terror

Post by Doctor Volume » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:19 am

so i've been thinking about it, which i do every now and then. either glow in the dark glue or glow in the dark paint or glue mixed with glow on the dark paint. it would be applied to the top of the neck, just behind the fret markers.

p.s. i'm tired of typing "glow in the dark"...GITD

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:10 am

GITGLO? :lol:

What about some night goggles. (NITGLO...) :oops:

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:36 am

Vigier have those as an option when ordering their guitars. Some makers even make LEDs so that you always know where you are on the neck.

If you really wanted to, you could even buy a stick of glow in the dark fret marker, and put them in place of your existing ones, by drilling them out and gluing the GITD makers there instead. Mind you, that option sort of maxes out the butchering your own guitar risk.....
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:16 am

A little subtle candle light? That's still romantic isn't it? :mrgreen:

Andy.

starling1
Rocker

Post by starling1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:08 am

I know the answer to this.

I have purchased from this seller before--a star ceiling, actually. Whatever he uses is like the thing that sticks to homer's back in the opening credits of the simpsons. Very, very bright.

Ask him to cook you up something special, he probably will. Not cheap, but very, very good.

http://www.theglowpatch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doctor Volume
Tiny Terror

Post by Doctor Volume » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:08 am

starling1 wrote:I know the answer to this.

I have purchased from this seller before--a star ceiling, actually. Whatever he uses is like the thing that sticks to homer's back in the opening credits of the simpsons. Very, very bright.

Ask him to cook you up something special, he probably will. Not cheap, but very, very good.

http://www.theglowpatch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is quite salty. I think I would be better off with a lamp and a 100 ft. ext. cord. :D

PiMaxC

Post by PiMaxC » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:10 pm

How about something like this?

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?vi ... 7527327932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doctor Volume
Tiny Terror

Post by Doctor Volume » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:36 pm

The LEDs are a great idea, but i want something a little less intrusive. I kind of have thing thing where i dont think a battery belongs in a guitar.

The GITD duct tape works well enough for what i need it for. I tried the GITD paint mixed with the GITD glue. It flakes right off.

I guess I just need to love the neck, feel the neck, and be the neck.