Marshall JMP1, JCM1, DSL1

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Marshall JMP1, JCM1, DSL1

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:31 am

I've pretty much figured out that any tube amp with less than two EL84s in it sounds too thin for my tastes as a practice amp. They might work well for lead tones in a full band setting though (through the PA).

CarbonToe.
Tiny Terror

Post by CarbonToe. » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:24 am

Mrjones2004x wrote:Also really didn't like the jcm1. And I'm a 80s hairmetal guy at heart! The sl5 was shocking too. Very thin and week sounding.
I preordered and joined the waiting list for a JCM1H as I thought it would make a good pratice amp and fingers crossed would keep its value.

Previews looked good, and I was so stoked when it arrived.

But then then disapointment came, I could not dial in a tone I like (I tend to go for OR15 or TT slightly overdriven fuzzyness), it's hard to explain what I don't like about it, I'd describe it as weedy. The kind of amps other heads kick sand over! I so wanted to love this amp, its really well made and its quite hefty for its wattagebut on the sounds front it's a no.

I left it on the side for a month or so whilst I went back to my tryst OR15. Then set it up again to see if it was hype that the amp couldn't live up to and a fresh revisit would change my mind. Nope! I still think the same. I just think it needed another watt or 2, but I'm still not loving it. Every time I play it I think of boxing it up to sell on a rainy day rather than back combing my hair and helecoptering a few power chords, which on both counts is very wrong. :lol:

Lot of people swear by them, just not me!

Now the Marshall Custom Pin-Up 5 watter is another story.....that's a cracking amp......
Gear: Kurt Cobain Jaguar, Kurt Cobain Mustang, American Std Tele ('10 3burst), Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange OR15, Orange Tiny Terror HW, Vox Night Train NT15H, Marshall JCM-1H, PPC112 Cab & a Marshall Custom Pin-Up

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Mrjones2004x wrote:The jmp1 head is awesome.
I own one. Its pretty good on the low power but on 1 watt with everything on 7 is absolutely screams! Loads of bite and presence.
If you go past 8 with humbuckers it gos muddy but good with single coils. P90 absolutely scream through it.
It destroyed my TT for tone. TT was dark and fuzzy. The jmp is bright and gnarly.
Would recommend it.
The combos sound crap tho. Speakers are too small.

Here's mine.
That´s what I heard... The combos suck because of the little speakers... That´s why I was going for a head, to plug in my PPC212OB.

Another question: since it is a NMV, how loud does it get at 1W in order to get a good tube overdrive?

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Very loud.
To loud for most people at home.
Low wattage is a bit above talking level And still sound nice.

Yeah the one watt mode is pretty loud at home. I only play it on that when the misses is out lol

It starts to breakup at 3 on the volume and sound great up to 9 to me. I think 10 is a bit much and it flubs out. All the 7s is the sweet spot 8)
Tone is everything

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:06 pm

Mrjones2004x wrote:Very loud.
To loud for most people at home.
Low wattage is a bit above talking level And still sound nice.

Yeah the one watt mode is pretty loud at home. I only play it on that when the misses is out lol

It starts to breakup at 3 on the volume and sound great up to 9 to me. I think 10 is a bit much and it flubs out. All the 7s is the sweet spot 8)
Yeah, that´s my main concern... I live alone, but in an apartment, and I have already zeroed my downstairs neighbour patience with my Rocker 30. :oops:

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:09 pm

I wouldn't crank it in an apartment on 1 watt. Never. Well I cranked a TT a few years back in my flat and pissed of a whole floor of people :-)

The low wattage mode would be ideal but that's quite an expensive if you wasn't to use the full power sometimes.
Tone is everything

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Mrjones2004x wrote:I wouldn't crank it in an apartment on 1 watt. Never. Well I cranked a TT a few years back in my flat and pissed of a whole floor of people :-)

The low wattage mode would be ideal but that's quite an expensive if you wasn't to use the full power sometimes.
Yeah, I am thinking I am never going to get a good sound of it, and it is a wholle lotta money to be thrown away...

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:21 pm

Dependant what sound your after but the jmp1 ripped the TT for tone at similar volumes. The tube warmth comes at a much lower level.
I tried both in a shop booth and went for the TT but when I finally ordered it, it just didn't do good at usable volumes for home. I tested it a bit to loud for home so the TT started to get powertube breakup and started getting fat and thick. The jmp doesn't get as thick ever but it sounds better up to the same volume levels, then when the TT is pushed it go really beefy.
Tone is everything

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:55 pm

For your info.

87 db @ 1 meter on low wattage setting. All settings on 7. On volume 10 its the same

Can't test 1 watt as the misses has clients at home at present.

I talk about 78 db.
Tone is everything

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:20 pm

Mrjones2004x wrote:For your info.

87 db @ 1 meter on low wattage setting. All settings on 7. On volume 10 its the same

Can't test 1 watt as the misses has clients at home at present.

I talk about 78 db.
That seems to be preety quiet!

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Randy Bass wrote:I've pretty much figured out that any tube amp with less than two EL84s in it sounds too thin for my tastes as a practice amp. They might work well for lead tones in a full band setting though (through the PA).
I was really impressed with my Traynor Dark Horses 2 watt setting through a 12AU7. Cranked it was pretty full sounding through my cab.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:54 pm

bfitz wrote:.......You'd be better off getting one of these http://www.thomann.de/gb/marshall_fridge.htm

tone isnt great but it does have some nice features, like better beer temperatures and if you have a sandwich that needs cooling.......

B
:lol: I thought that was my job to take the mick out of the MarshallFridge.com company... :mrgreen:

I wonder if the Marshall forums get kitchen spam?
Paul.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:23 am

Never been a huge Marshall fan myself so wasn't even vaguely tempted by these expensive mini amps. Certain models over the years have certainly been fine amps, such as the old 'Plexi era' models which had real big fat classy tones. (Also really like the sounds from the 2061 20W head, though they aren't that similar at all to the bigger models despite what some people will tell you!)

But to expect those massive fat yet smooth sounds out of much smaller amps isn't too realistic. And while they do work fine for many guitarists I've never got on with the cutting upper mids of almost all more recent Marshalls.

Just not my thing I guess...
OrangePaul wrote: :lol: I thought that was my job to take the mick out of the MarshallFridge.com company... :mrgreen:

:lol:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:00 pm

a.hun wrote: I thought that was my job to take the mick out of the MarshallFridge.com company...

I bet they get their fair share....probably Orange fridge magnet spam :)

On a serious note tho, I just dont understand why these things cost so much. You could easily find a second hand JCM800 50w head for similar money and its an amp thats been on some of the best recordings of the 80's 90's and im sure more recently too. If its too loud get an attenuator or just turn it down?

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:19 pm

bfitz wrote:
[u]OrangePaul[/u] wrote: I thought that was my job to take the mick out of the MarshallFridge.com company...
Corrected!

Me, I just do it for fun, totally gratis, free, and for nothing... :wink:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!