Marshall JMP1, JCM1, DSL1

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Marshall JMP1, JCM1, DSL1

Post by enricoromanielo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:18 pm

Hey guys, has anyone tried one of these little amps Marshall put out last year? They seem to be very cool (expensive though!!!). Anyway, just curious, they can be runned at 0,1 watt, and seem to be like the ultimate bedroom tube amps... Cheers

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Re: Marshall JMP1, JCM1, DSL1

Post by baytamusic » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:24 pm

I tried the JMP1 combo amp just to test a Rickenbacker at Guitar Center. I thought it sounded pretty horrible. It's a novelty item IMO.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:33 pm

I've never played one but they seem a little bit overpriced to me...

I have the Blackstar HT1R combo that is available as a head priced a bit more realistically. In all honesty though I wish I'd probably just gone out and bought a tiny terror.
Paul.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:54 pm

I think they're cool, tough to have them sound like what they're modeled after only being 1 watt. Waaaay overpriced though. The new Marshall Slash combo is awesome though. Looked one over yesterday. Switches between 1 and 5 watts.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:14 pm

Jondog wrote:I think they're cool, tough to have them sound like what they're modeled after only being 1 watt. Waaaay overpriced though. The new Marshall Slash combo is awesome though. Looked one over yesterday. Switches between 1 and 5 watts.

I was very unimpressed with the slash combo, soi can only imagine what a little piece of rubbish the 1 watt amps are
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:34 pm

OrangePaul wrote:I've never played one but they seem a little bit overpriced to me...

I have the Blackstar HT1R combo that is available as a head priced a bit more realistically. In all honesty though I wish I'd probably just gone out and bought a tiny terror.
I never really liked the Blackstars... I had a Blackstar HT-5, and it sounded... ehhhh. Kinda generic. Don´t really know how to put in words, but I was never really impressed (same goes for the HT-1).

The problem with the tiny terror is that it is not reaaaaly bedroom levels... I mean, 7 watt can get preety loud... I figure I´ll just keep plugging the Rocker 30 in a Bad Cat Leash for playing at home...

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:22 pm

enricoromanielo wrote:
OrangePaul wrote:I've never played one but they seem a little bit overpriced to me...

I never really liked the Blackstars... I had a Blackstar HT-5, and it sounded... ehhhh. Kinda generic. Don´t really know how to put in words, but I was never really impressed (same goes for the HT-1).

The problem with the tiny terror is that it is not reaaaaly bedroom levels... I mean, 7 watt can get preety loud... I figure I´ll just keep plugging the Rocker 30 in a Bad Cat Leash for playing at home...
It doesn't really feel like you are getting power tube breakup with the HT1 tho... probably because it doesn't really have any :D
I actually demoed the HT5 along side the HT1R at the time and I felt the HT1 sounded a bit more 'open' to me ... maybe it was just down to the reverb of the the HT1R verses an HT5.

I will say this though... the HT1R headphone output is exceptional IMO.
Paul.

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:14 am

i did a bit of reading about the ht1 vs the ht5.

the 5's got 2 channels, the drive channel not being capable of clean thru to overdrive with the gain low.

the 1's a single channel and is capable of clean thru to overdrive allowing for those break up tones most of us feel at home with.

reverb in a small practice amp where you're playing alone is a nice touch too!
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:52 am

Still can't decide... I mean, a relative of mine agreed to bring one of those little amps to Brazil (since here the prices are like prohibitive!!)... I was kinda set on the JCM1, but now I kinda want the JMP1 as well... I can't help but think that the JCM1 will sound a lot like the SL5 (and the SL5 has more features, and Marshall will probably put out a head model, which I prefer).

Really thinking of pulling the trigger on the JMP1... It does sound amazing!!

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:15 am

Have you played one in person? I'm telling you man, they sound lame. It's just not worth that kinda coin. Put your money elsewhere. A Rocker 30 with the volume down low sounds better. Do what ya want though.

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:27 am

baytamusic wrote:Have you played one in person? I'm telling you man, they sound lame. It's just not worth that kinda coin. Put your money elsewhere. A Rocker 30 with the volume down low sounds better. Do what ya want though.
Really? That lame?? Damn... No, I haven't played them, no store here in Brazil stocks them... I've just seen some videos on youtube and read some (nice) reviews. But I think you are right... It's kinda crazy to spend so much money on an amp without trying if first. Its just that GAS can make you do some really crazy stuff with you...

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Dave666
Orange Hero

Post by Dave666 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:31 am

baytamusic wrote:Have you played one in person? I'm telling you man, they sound lame. It's just not worth that kinda coin. Put your money elsewhere. A Rocker 30 with the volume down low sounds better. Do what ya want though.
Once you played the Rocker30, no other amp will sound better, especially when playing rock, heavy rock, that's why I don't even bother trying other amps....
Orange Rocker30C loaded with a Creamback 65
Zilla Super Fatboy 2x12 loaded with Creamnback 65's
Gibson Flying-V - PRS Mira S2

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:42 am

The jmp1 head is awesome.
I own one. Its pretty good on the low power but on 1 watt with everything on 7 is absolutely screams! Loads of bite and presence.
If you go past 8 with humbuckers it gos muddy but good with single coils. P90 absolutely scream through it.
It destroyed my TT for tone. TT was dark and fuzzy. The jmp is bright and gnarly.
Would recommend it.
The combos sound crap tho. Speakers are too small.

Here's mine.
Tone is everything

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:49 am

Also really didn't like the jcm1. And I'm a 80s hairmetal guy at heart! The sl5 was shocking too. Very thin and week sounding.
Each to there own tho.
I love thunderverbs (best amp in the world IMO) and hate rockerverbs (worst tube amp I've heard) but that's my opinion. :D
Tone is everything

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:56 am

You'd be better off getting one of these http://www.thomann.de/gb/marshall_fridge.htm

tone isnt great but it does have some nice features, like better beer temperatures and if you have a sandwich that needs cooling....

honestly dont spend €650 on a 1w head made by marshall. you could have any number of better amplifiers for the same if not less money new or second hand.

i.e fender blues junior, orange tiny terror, vox ac15, r30, peavy classic 30, hell you'd probably find a vox ac30 for the same money on craigslist or ebay.

B

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr