You want a good boost pedal for your Orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

You want a good boost pedal for your Orange?

Post by Jondog » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:19 am

Xotic RCBooster. Wow, I like it better than my Xotic BB preamp. BB is great for adding more gain and boost, but the RC will do it too on a lesser scale. The tone on the thing is INCREDIBLE! My Rockers Natural channel LOVES IT, gives it an almost Fenderish clean sound that breaks up nicely! Do try.

Surgeon
Tiny Terror

Re: You want a good boost pedal for your Orange?

Post by Surgeon » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:12 am

Good to know! I'm quite enamored with my SHO but I'll have to give this one a try...

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:51 am

Just watched the PGS demo, gotta say it sounds really interesting! Especially since I've been using the Natural channel exclusively on my R30 for the last couple of weeks. Having that treble and bass control could be really handy,

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:26 am

I see they even do a bass version for those of us who are sometimes known to play a little bass through their R.30! :lol:

I'm really glad that I'm not a major pedal GAS kind of guy otherwise you lot would bankrupt me. But if I hadn't bought an MXR Micro Amp I might have been tempted simply for the extra EQ possibilities.

As it is oddly enough I can get pretty nice Fenderish sounds through the Natural channel using my Tech21 VT bass pedal. Or with either of my small Fender combos...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

jangle
Orange Hero

Post by jangle » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks for intensifying my GAS : :cry:

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:34 pm

jangle wrote:Thanks for intensifying my GAS : :cry:
:lol: It's a seriously nice pedal. It really compliments the tone. Even nice on the dirty channel, doesn't take over the sound of the amp at all but adds definition to it. Really liking it, running the BB into it sounds really good too.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:47 pm

I used one for about a year or so as the last pedal in my chain. It was strictly for clean boost/adding a little hair to the end of the signal. I found that after a while the pedal didn't see as transparent as I initially thought.

1. Noticeable reduction in the mids when engaged
2. Adds a "digital element" to the tone. I can't really explain this one.

I ended up with the Wampler Ecasty. With the gain down, treble at 1 o'clock, and bass at 11 o'clock it sounds identical to the original tone. At that point I usually increase the gain until there is a little bit of grit.

I didn't experience the same problems with the Xotic Bass RC Booster.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:13 pm

No, I wouldn't say it's transparent. Like I said it sounds Fender like which is a less mid type sound. Digital? I can't say that. The BB has lots of mids compared to the RC. For straight up transparent boost I like the EP booster. The RC is a nice compliment to the Rockers EQ on the Matural channel.