Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Orangesoda
Orange Hero
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Post by Orangesoda » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:02 pm

Son of a.................

So I go into a guitar place to get work done on my guitar (neck pup isn't working after installing pup and harness). Said hello to the guy and asked him how's it goin. Just laid back. I told him what I need briefly cuz he was working on something. He looks at my guitar like he's smelling poop and he just gives me an ugly look and said it would be a few min. Could barely say the words.

So he finished up the guitar he was working on and he was so nice to the lady. He didn't charge her and he walked her to the door. He comes back and asks some other dude that got there after me if he could help him with something. He then walks behind his little station where he's mostly covered to work on something :? I'm there like 10 feet from him and he could still see me outta the corner of his eye but I was looking at pedals. His co-worker comes and he starts talking to him about stuff. I look over at him and make eye contact with him and he's still just goofin with him co-worker. After about 2 min he finally calls me. He did acknowledge that I had been patient and said he has 'forgot' about me. Then we go over my guitar issue.

I'm fairly certain as to why he was a jerk off. When he looked at my guitar the first time he stared at the strings. I left em unclipped specifically for him in case he needed to pull the pickups so he could leave the same strings on and not struggle to put them back on since they're new and I wanted to keep em. Because then when he started to help me he started going off about it being a catfish (lol I like that one) and he didn't wanna lose an eye and that the first thing he was gonna do was clip em. I did tell him why I left em on but he kinda cut me off and kept talking. He wasn't paying attention, he just wanted to clip the strings.

Why do we guitarists have to be like that? Because he doesn't like what I like he has to be a prick. I left the strings on only to make it easier for him just in case. Even if I don't clip my strings why would he clip em if I like them like that?! I remember once I went to guitar center and I asked the dude for some strings and I asked for 9's. He asked what I had and told him it was a tele copy. He then grabbed 10's and said I needed those so my neck wouldn't bend back. If I like 9's give me 9's punk! Bastard!

I was about to walk out of this guitar place and just figure this out myself but there aren't many places around and it was on my way to drop something off for work so it worked out fine. I'll just put up with it.

Then he was complaining because I had 4 push-pulls. He said he would rather just pick up a strat if he wanted strat sound cuz split humbuckers sounded like crap. Who said I wanted a strat sound? What if I don't want a strat sound and I just want a single coil sound?

I'm no demanding customer either. I don't feel entitled to special treatment either. If he REALLY had to take care of something before coming to me then that's fine. Clearly that wasn't the case. I don't need to be treated like a king, I just want my stuff worked on, I don't wanna be ignored for such a stupid reason.

Us guitarists seem to be that way. If someone does something we don't like to their guitar or amp or the way their sound is it's the end of the world.

edited by Billy

I'm mad. I will now go punch a baby..............................or maybe not lol.

apocalypsedude
Rocker
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:59 pm
Location: Richmond, Virginia

Re: Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Post by apocalypsedude » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:37 pm

I'm at the point where I would rather deal with a used car salesman than some little prick down at the local Guitar Center that's never been to a Motorhead concert, that tries to sell me on the latest, greatest gimmick.

I've had similar experiences at my local Sam Ash and Guitar Center...guys that think they know it all about gear. One time I was looking for EL34 tubes for my Rocker 30, I mentioned to the guy three times: EL34, he tells me I need EL84s, I said NO, I need EL 34s, thats what the Rocker runs on. He assumed that because its a 30 watt amp that it runs EL84s. I think I know what tubes are in my own amp, I've owned it since 2006! Then he gives me this dirty look. Pfffftt whatever buddy, needless to say, I went somewhere else for my tubes that day.

I've basically stopped doing business at these places, and buy what I need online usually. If I have a problem with my amp, I take it directly to a reputable tech in the area that I found on craigslist, same with my guitars, I take them to a real luthier, not some dipshit that works at Guitar Center. I guess most of these guys are pissed that they aren't making more money, or that their band hasn't broken it big in the music industry yet :roll:
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

mr_william
Orange Master
Posts: 2986
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:25 pm
Location: Sheffield, England

Re: Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Post by mr_william » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:41 pm

yeah, at the end of the day, if you're a paying customer, they should be trying to bend over backwards to help you.

like you said though, this guy's got a monopoly on the tech stuff there - not a lot you can do about it.
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .
Image

Invin
Orange Hero
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:03 am
Location: AB, Canada

Re: Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Post by Invin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:42 pm

Haha, yeah... I think there's snobs and crankies in any field. Definitely plenty in the guitar world. Off the top of my head...

- Asked a manager in a guitar shop if he could budge on the price of an item, since it was nearly double what I could buy it for online but I'd rather buy it from him if he could just come down a little? Got an angry, long-winded, awkward rant about how big stores and the internet are ruining his business, right in the middle of the store. It was like he was scolding a child in public. I stood there and listened to the whole rant because what can you do? Walk out mid speech in front of a bunch of people? Awkward.

- At a show my band was playing, a guy from one of the other bands just helped himself to one of my guitars, stands at the mic and says, "Who's acoustic is this? You need to be using a humidifier and..." *rant goes on* Uh... what are you? The Crusader of Well-Humidified Guitars or something? You should at least wear a superhero uniform or something so we know righteous judgement is coming.
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

Ade
Orange Hero
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:36 am
Location: FNQ, Australia

Re: Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Post by Ade » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:47 pm

Orangesoda wrote:Us guitarists seem to be that way. If someone does something we don't like to their guitar or amp or the way their sound is it's the end of the world. Like this faggot. I don't care what he likes. Are there any of those here on the Orange forums?! You can go f.........fly a kite!

I'm mad. I will now go punch a baby..............................or maybe not lol.
I'll be the one to say it...

Mate, empathetic to your plight, but you lost me by the end. What, are you 15? Grow-up.

Ade
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412
Image

Orangesoda
Orange Hero
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Post by Orangesoda » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:51 pm

apocalypsedude wrote:I'm at the point where I would rather deal with a used car salesman than some little prick down at the local Guitar Center that's never been to a Motorhead concert, that tries to sell me on the latest, greatest gimmick.

I've had similar experiences at my local Sam Ash and Guitar Center...guys that think they know it all about gear. One time I was looking for EL34 tubes for my Rocker 30, I mentioned to the guy three times: EL34, he tells me I need EL84s, I said NO, I need EL 34s, thats what the Rocker runs on. He assumed that because its a 30 watt amp that it runs EL84s. I think I know what tubes are in my own amp, I've owned it since 2006! Then he gives me this dirty look. Pfffftt whatever buddy, needless to say, I went somewhere else for my tubes that day.

I've basically stopped doing business at these places, and buy what I need online usually. If I have a problem with my amp, I take it directly to a reputable tech in the area that I found on craigslist, same with my guitars, I take them to a real luthier, not some dipshit that works at Guitar Center. I guess most of these guys are pissed that they aren't making more money, or that their band hasn't broken it big in the music industry yet :roll:
Geez. Morons. This I went to wasn't guitar center. I don't want them doing this type of work. So I took it to a place that sells lots of good gear and has a real tech there.

Funny tho, I spoke to this guy on Wednesday and he was very nice and very helpful. Turned into an ass over 1 small thing.

Orangesoda
Orange Hero
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Post by Orangesoda » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:57 pm

mr_william wrote:yeah, at the end of the day, if you're a paying customer, they should be trying to bend over backwards to help you.

like you said though, this guy's got a monopoly on the tech stuff there - not a lot you can do about it.
I get that. Even then, I don't like to be a jerk and demand things. I can understand dealing with horrible customers. I like to treat people with respect and just treat them like people.

Orangesoda
Orange Hero
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Post by Orangesoda » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:07 pm

Ade wrote:
Orangesoda wrote:Us guitarists seem to be that way. If someone does something we don't like to their guitar or amp or the way their sound is it's the end of the world. Like this faggot. I don't care what he likes. Are there any of those here on the Orange forums?! You can go f.........fly a kite!

I'm mad. I will now go punch a baby..............................or maybe not lol.
I'll be the one to say it...

Mate, empathetic to your plight, but you lost me by the end. What, are you 15? Grow-up.

Ade
How did you KNOWWWWW?!?!?! My soft-as-a-baby's-bottom skin?! My recent thread on my bar mitzvah?!

Well think about it this way. There's a take away. Maybe there's someone here who might have acted that way with someone. They might change their ways. Maybe there's some of us who like to force our ideas down people's throats as if what we know is best........."Ade, mahogany just sounds better, OK?! Only a fool would use a different wood! Rawr!" Kinda lame right? Sharing ideas and opinions? Kool. Being a prick for no reason? You may get punched in the face. Now we don't want any Orange forumers getting punched in the face or going to jail for assaulting a douche and then having a his cell mate, Spike, carve out his rectum for the next year..................over some strings! Lol! Relax Ade! Has sum fun!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange
Posts: 10149
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:44 am

Re: Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:36 pm

Invin wrote:...- At a show my band was playing, a guy from one of the other bands just helped himself to one of my guitars, stands at the mic and says, "Who's acoustic is this? You need to be using a humidifier and..." *rant goes on* Uh... what are you? The Crusader of Well-Humidified Guitars or something? You should at least wear a superhero uniform or something so we know righteous judgement is coming.
:lol:

That's insane. You should have told him that you forgot your humidifier at home and you could drive back and get it if it would make him feel better.
_________________
Image

BRC
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Post by BRC » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:43 pm

Im not shy...I will flat say.."Do you have a problem with me...??" It will floor him not knowing how to respond..Really, try it...

Jondog
Duke of Orange
Posts: 7190
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:16 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Post by Jondog » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:14 am

Shitty service does suck for sure. But as far as the strings go, and I understand it was in good intentions that you didn't clip them, I can't blame him for being concerned for his safety. They are sharp and wisp around quick enough you might catch one in your finger (I've done it more than once, and they went to the bone!). I hate unclipped strings, I get it if it's a rush job between songs or something, but they're bloody dangerous otherwise. Even when I through strings out I make sure they're tightly wrapped so they don't poke through garbage bags.
Image

Orangesoda
Orange Hero
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Post by Orangesoda » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:22 am

Jondog wrote:Shitty service does suck for sure. But as far as the strings go, and I understand it was in good intentions that you didn't clip them, I can't blame him for being concerned for his safety. They are sharp and wisp around quick enough you might catch one in your finger (I've done it more than once, and they went to the bone!). I hate unclipped strings, I get it if it's a rush job between songs or something, but they're bloody dangerous otherwise. Even when I through strings out I make sure they're tightly wrapped so they don't poke through garbage bags.
I seriously doubt his main concern was his safety lol. He had to rant about it and he was a total douche. If it was just safety he could just clip em without a word being said about it lol.

But I will try my best not to be a douche either. As long as he don't say "there's a 5.99 charge for some strings. I had to inspect ur pup so I removed em and had to put new ones on" I'll flip lol.

sidvicious
Orange Master
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:43 pm
Location: southeast arkansas - the delta

Re: Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Post by sidvicious » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:37 am

The guys an aszhole. Won't be your last. Don't sweat it.

Are you an aszhole?
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

Orangesoda
Orange Hero
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Post by Orangesoda » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:18 am

sidvicious wrote:The guys an aszhole. Won't be your last. Don't sweat it.

Are you an aszhole?
Well yesterday I did happen to kinda sorta threaten a guy with a machete cuz he took 2 min to get me some ketchup. Is that bad???

Lol. All joking aside, no, I don't 'demand' I be served or have a red carpet rolled out for me. I didn't say 1 bad thing to the guy. He sure did deserve it. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I think if I woulda told him to go sit on his finger and spin then yes I woulda been the anus hole lol. But I don't like giving people a hard time. I'm usually having to tell friends or family to chill and not be such jerks to whoever is serving us or helping us. Because then they will take it out on everyone else and that's why some people are horrible at customer service and they become jerks. Not kool lol

Invin
Orange Hero
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:03 am
Location: AB, Canada

Re: Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Post by Invin » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:45 am

Orangesoda wrote:But I don't like giving people a hard time. I'm usually having to tell friends or family to chill and not be such jerks to whoever is serving us or helping us. Because then they will take it out on everyone else and that's why some people are horrible at customer service and they become jerks. Not kool lol
Yeah, a lot of people use those in the service industry as punching bags to get out their frustrations. After dealing with a ton of abuse like that when I worked at a gas station as a kid, I make it a point to be really nice to anyone that's serving me. I can't stand watching some coward pick on a kid in the service industry behind the shield of "the customer is always right", thinking that's a license to verbally abuse people and feel big.
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests