Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Re: Rant about guitarists/guitar techs/customer service reps

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:50 am

Chalk it up to experience: maybe he was just having a bad day too.

And put it this way... one good reason to learn to do your own regular tech work! Aside from levelling frets, I do pretty much everything on my acoustics & electrics now. Will save yourself a heap of cash.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:02 am

Guess what? There are LOTS of useless freakin' idiots out there. I try to avoid them if possible but it is kind of hard to avoid them all. But I don't go wasting too much energy on the ones I can't avoid.

I could rant about quite a few real numpties I've come across in guitar shops, but I really can't be bothered right now.
sidvicious wrote:The guys an aszhole. Won't be your last. Don't sweat it.
Yep, good advisze...

Like Jondog I also hate unclipped strings BTW. I may even have had a rant here about that once. :lol:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:24 pm

People are annoying, get used to it. If he does good work, put up with his BS for 10 minutes, get your guitar hooked up and move on.

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:38 pm

Invin wrote:
Orangesoda wrote:But I don't like giving people a hard time. I'm usually having to tell friends or family to chill and not be such jerks to whoever is serving us or helping us. Because then they will take it out on everyone else and that's why some people are horrible at customer service and they become jerks. Not kool lol
Yeah, a lot of people use those in the service industry as punching bags to get out their frustrations. After dealing with a ton of abuse like that when I worked at a gas station as a kid, I make it a point to be really nice to anyone that's serving me. I can't stand watching some coward pick on a kid in the service industry behind the shield of "the customer is always right", thinking that's a license to verbally abuse people and feel big.
No doubt. That whole 'customer is always right' crap is nonsense. That is why there are so many people that are so bad at customer service. They're tired of being stepped on constantly.

I've run into plenty of horrible people. Maybe they had a bad day. Maybe they don't like their job. Ok. This guy was very nice to the lady that was before me. It was pretty obvious what his beef was. And THAT'S what I think is so stupid. He was a total knob for something so trivial. He himself is giving people a reason to yell at him and treat him like crap.

I think I will kill him with kindness. I will give him a $10 tip and maybe he won't be such a wanker to the next guy :P

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:03 pm

My two cents:

I doubt that guy will last there long with that kind of attitude. Your job as a guitar tech is to do what the customer asks not pass judgement or offer unwelcome unsolicited advice.

Obviously, I would find someone else or get on youtube and learn what you need to know....

As far as the guy who touched the acoustic, if ANYONE ever touched one of my guitars without it being offered to him (highly unlikely by the way) I would be tearing him a new a$$hole. NO ONE touches my guitars except for a very select few... and even then....

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:22 am

bclaire wrote:My two cents:

I doubt that guy will last there long with that kind of attitude. Your job as a guitar tech is to do what the customer asks not pass judgement or offer unwelcome unsolicited advice.

Obviously, I would find someone else or get on youtube and learn what you need to know....

As far as the guy who touched the acoustic, if ANYONE ever touched one of my guitars without it being offered to him (highly unlikely by the way) I would be tearing him a new a$$hole. NO ONE touches my guitars except for a very select few... and even then....
Exactly. Pass judgement is what is not kool. Advice, opinions, suggestions, debating certain things? Sure. I'm totally ok with that. But to decide to ignore me and 'punish' me for something so insignificant. I'm curious as to how long it will take for him to call me back. Or how it will go the next time I go back lol. I will sure try my best to make it go as smooth as possible. Cuz I don't wanna tell him how I really feel lol. He was soooo nice when we spoke on the phone too. Poop

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:53 am

I've had a similar experience in the UK when I was in my late Teens / very early twenties....I'm guessing your a similar age, you don't want to make a fuss and maybe lacking in confidence to stand up for rights

My experience was going into local guitar store to buy an acoustic where I said to the staff member 'Can I try that guitar and that guitar'...He replied in a sarcastic way 'Why have you got four arms?'

I said nothing but found out he was sacked about a month later

Now I'm much older I don't stand for such crap but to be fair such things do not happen to me anymore.........in fact I seem to get very good service
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

CarbonToe.
Tiny Terror

Post by CarbonToe. » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:53 pm

Find out who the owner is of the store and write them a letter and tell them what you would like them to do to resolve your grievance even if it’s just a new set of strings of the correct gauge.
Gear: Kurt Cobain Jaguar, Kurt Cobain Mustang, American Std Tele ('10 3burst), Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange OR15, Orange Tiny Terror HW, Vox Night Train NT15H, Marshall JCM-1H, PPC112 Cab & a Marshall Custom Pin-Up

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:28 pm

This may sound a little harsh... but the dealer I can tell you now, will most likely think along these lines...

1) You couldn't find us when you bought your guitar...
2) You couldn't find us when you bought the replacement pickup and wiring harness...
3) But Oh suddenly you find us when none of the above works!

:mrgreen:
Paul.