Best value in instrument cables?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Eddie

Best value in instrument cables?

Post by Eddie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:48 am

Hi folks. I am needing to replace some aging guitar cables and was wondering what was the best bang for the buck as far as cables go. I don't have a pile of poop ton of cash laying around and am budgeted pretty tightly lately, so I can't afford to get anything high end, but am looking for a reasonably-priced gem that has a decent track record.

Sorry for the weird rambling question and thanks in advance for any help!!!
Eddie

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Best value in instrument cables?

Post by bclaire » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:40 am

No worries...

I get the Live Wire cables - they have a lifetime warranty but I always lose my receipts for them so I've never actually gone that route but I really like the cable and the value.

I kinda like to replace cables once a year....

guilleonline
Orange Hero

Post by guilleonline » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:40 am

DiMarzio cables...if you can find them. I always find myself ordering them but they have been VERY good and consistent for me. They have lasted me short of a decade (one 9 yrs. the other one 11yrs.) before they gave in , and when that happened I just sent them in and got new ones from the factory. Great quality and peace of mind. I know have about 10 of their cables (counting couplers for pedals) and all of them going strong. The only store I can seem to find them in person is Samash.
There is nothing like a fender clean, but there is nothing like an orange crunch

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:25 am

Can you solder. Do you know anyone who can? If so just buy a length of decent cable and enough Neutrik jacks and make them up yourself.

Or if in the UK go here:
http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

alanbama
Tiny Terror

Post by alanbama » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:32 am

bclaire wrote:No worries...

I get the Live Wire cables - they have a lifetime warranty but I always lose my receipts for them so I've never actually gone that route but I really like the cable and the value.

I kinda like to replace cables once a year....

Yeah I do that! Get cables with lifetime warranties and never use them. :shock: I need to solder some ends on a few cables now. And I like the Live Wire cables also.
Image Need I say more?

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:55 am

I use DiMarzios as well. From what I can tell they are excellently made and decently priced.
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:36 am

After years of trying cable after cable (Rodam, Road Hog, Fender, Planet Waves, some others), soldering them when they broke, getting replacements, buying new ones, I finally bought some Monster cables (the "rock" version) that haven't given me any troubles. The prices on them seem to vary wildly, but I got mine on Amazon for between $20-$30 for the 12-21ft lengths. So far I'm glad I broke the cycle of constantly fixing and replacing cheap cables, which just cost me more in the long run.

If you can find a good price on them, they're definitely the best value I've found. I wanted to try DiMarzios but anywhere I've found them that can ship to me they're crazy expensive, so I guess the best value will depend on what you have access to :)
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:46 am

a.hun wrote:Can you solder. Do you know anyone who can? If so just buy a length of decent cable and enough Neutrik jacks and make them up yourself.

Or if in the UK go here:
http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
+1

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:17 pm

a.hun wrote:Can you solder. Do you know anyone who can? If so just buy a length of decent cable and enough Neutrik jacks and make them up yourself.

Or if in the UK go here:

Andy.
+2 you can easily get a top quality cable this way.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Have to say I've tried that van damme cable and I'm not a fan...

Soundlab cables here in the UK are surprisingly good quality for the price i've found.
Paul.

thelatrobe33
Tiny Terror

Post by thelatrobe33 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:24 pm

I've just finished changing out all my cables to Lava Cables and I've been very happy. I have the high end stuff and it's amazing the change in sound quality over the garbage I was using. They make something in every price range.
Dual Dark 50, Friedman Smallbox, '78 Twin Reverb, PPC412A, PPC212C

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Moster cables are great, but who can afford them?

Get high quality cable through Full Compass or Sweetwater or other venders, some Neutrik jacks and solder your own. They are as good as Monster cables at a much lower cost.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:40 pm

I had been gigging with Monster Rock cables for the last decade and have had Monster cables for the last 15 years or so. I've had to exercise the lifetime warranty twice now and it was as simple as walking up to the accessories counter at a Guitar Center, making the swap and printing a GC receipt. I never had the receipt when I swapped them out either and they didn't give me any flack.

This last time I swapped a 21' Monster Rock for a LiveWire Elite(? or something) which was 18.5' since they didn't have any of the MR cables in stock. I like it. Sounds as good as the Monster I'd say.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Surgeon
Tiny Terror

Post by Surgeon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:52 pm

I buy bulk Mogami cable and Amphenol connectors. Solder them myself at whatever length I desire.
Add some colored techflex sleeving to ensure that noone ever confuses my cables with theirs and voilà!
I've reheased with them, gigged with them,e tc... never had a single problem. I can go as nuts with solder as I want to ensure they're solid and really crimp the cable ties. They'll last forever I'm afraid.

Best cables ever for quite cheap.

I order my stuff from Redco.com. Fast shipping, great prices.

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:09 pm

Borderline Productions wrote:Moster cables are great, but who can afford them?
I can't stress enough how much the price varies on them. I've seen the same cable as high as $90 or as low as $20. I used to think they were some unattainable crazy expensive thing, then I got those ones on Amazon for the same price as I had been paying for "regular" cables.
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2