Best value in instrument cables?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

dreamdistortion
Tiny Terror

Re: Best value in instrument cables?

Post by dreamdistortion » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:02 am

I've been using Fulltone cables for several years now and they've never failed and have always sounded great. Very well priced for the quality, too.

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:36 am

CANARE with NEUTRIK silent connector. You can unplug straight from the guitar... you will realize how cool this is when you have one. Worth every cent and then some. This cable and the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner are the best accessory investments I have ever made period. This is not a paid advertisement. :D

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:07 am

nlimbaugh wrote:CANARE with NEUTRIK silent connector. You can unplug straight from the guitar... you will realize how cool this is when you have one. Worth every cent and then some. This cable and the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner are the best accessory investments I have ever made period. This is not a paid advertisement. :D
Could I bother you for a link to these exact products? I'm kind of a webtard and am getting a few different items that may mathc the description. Thanks to everyone who has helped me here by responding!!!
Eddie

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:27 am

I've always been a fan of Planet Wave cables. Never had a problem with any of mine but I've heard that if one ever breaks you can just take it to any authorized dealer and they'll let you exchange it for a new one.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:40 am

a.hun wrote:Can you solder. Do you know anyone who can? If so just buy a length of decent cable and enough Neutrik jacks and make them up yourself.

Or if in the UK go here:
http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
+3

Have had mine for years with very very little trouble from any of them. If they do go, take the plug off and solder it onto some new cable (van Damme, Klotz or similar quality). This is professional grade stuff that just about every AV company in the UK uses.

The silent jacks that Neutrik make are really good too.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

orangebassman
Tiny Terror

Post by orangebassman » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Has anyone tried the Orange cables? They are pretty pricey but look really high end. I'm going to order a couple with my OBC115 this week and see what they are like.
Spector Euro 4LX, Spector Coda4, Orange Terror Bass 1000, Orange OBC410 and 115 cabinets. Orange and Spector endorsed bassist for Lone Star Demons. http://www.reverbnation.com/lonestardemons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:10 pm

They look like Neutrik plugs on some sort of cabling with 'armour plating'. Can't vouch for the cabling failure rate, but the plugs should be solid. Look good as long as they're not overpriced.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

CarbonToe.
Tiny Terror

Post by CarbonToe. » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:39 pm

a.hun wrote:Or if in the UK go here:
http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
I agree, great service and an excellent product.

Their cab cables are blue as well so you dont get them mixed up with your guitar cables.
Gear: Kurt Cobain Jaguar, Kurt Cobain Mustang, American Std Tele ('10 3burst), Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange OR15, Orange Tiny Terror HW, Vox Night Train NT15H, Marshall JCM-1H, PPC112 Cab & a Marshall Custom Pin-Up

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:04 pm

I use yellow cabling for all of mine... never come across anyone else with it yet.
Joe

G(sus) saves

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:05 am

Eddie wrote:
nlimbaugh wrote:CANARE with NEUTRIK silent connector. You can unplug straight from the guitar... you will realize how cool this is when you have one. Worth every cent and then some. This cable and the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner are the best accessory investments I have ever made period. This is not a paid advertisement. :D
Could I bother you for a link to these exact products? I'm kind of a webtard and am getting a few different items that may mathc the description. Thanks to everyone who has helped me here by responding!!!

procablesnsound.com This is the place where I got mine I'm pretty sure. I found them when I was trying to find a company that made a series cable to connect cabinets. I guess they buy the pieces and solder the stuff together. The sonic research people should have a website I can only assume. That tuner made me a better player.

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:24 am

If you care about your sound, you need to listen to cables.
For years I had an excellent Whirlwind (sturdy made), but I had occasion to try some cables with other guitar players, and I had to admit my cable allowed too much high frequencies on the 8k band, despite turning down the amp treble button, and this with all guitars.
I now use Spirit XL cable, this one sounds much more balanced with a nice headroom on the bass.