Modeling amp needs to go. OR15 to take it's place?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Bensnake
Orange Master

Re: Modeling amp needs to go. OR15 to take it's place?

Post by Bensnake » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:38 pm

a.hun wrote:
Bensnake wrote:
Borderline Productions wrote:The Tiny Terror can also run at 7 watts
So can the OR15.
I think that is what 'also' means! :lol:

Andy.
Excuse me, I'm from Sweden... 8)
RV100 MKIII | '75 OR120 | OR100 | OR50 | CS50 | R30H | TT
2 x PPC412
Bax B. | Amp D.

Marshall 1959 HW + 1936V
Fender '65 Super Reverb Reissue
Vox AC30C2X + V212C

Playing Les Pauls and Teles...

Belabor

Post by Belabor » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:35 pm

Okay, final idea: because I'm mostly going in blind on this one, I'm going to drop a few YouTube links here to let you guys know what kind of tone I'm after in my head, and maybe some of you Dual Terror and/or OR15 owners can chime in whether either of these amps will be able to get close to this tone.

Red Fang - Wires
As far as I know, these guys only use Sunn Beta heads. Never seen one in person! Can the Orange's get there as well?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQPfQvLIseA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Witchcraft - Chylde of Fire
I think both of them will get really close to this, but which of them does this type of crunch to clean tone best?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT59QQwWWMg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Automatic Sam - Set It Right
Something most of you might not know. Especially interested in the rhythm guitar parts which are played on a neck strat pickup. Somewhat similar to Graveyard tone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV9zbhxULrg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kyuss - Hurricane
I know, I'd need a fuzz for this, but do they get close on their own? This is probably the highest amount of gain I'd ever want or need to use.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKc5hZxNwps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know I'm asking a lot of you guys, but I'm absolutely convinced my next amp is going to be an Orange, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to this kind of stuff. I hope you guys can bear with me. I'd like to thank everyone that has already helped me out so far! :)

JAMMAN798

Post by JAMMAN798 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:32 am

I can only speak to the tone of the OR15. Songs like "Wires", "Chylde of Fire", "Set it Right" would probably not work 100% well with the OR15 because the tone in those tunes is pretty tame and it there is need for some clean headroom being pushed. An Orange amp with a Clean channel would work well as you could drive the channel with pedals to get your exact tone, and switch over to the dirty channel for leads or note accents. When I listened to those first three tunes, the amp that came to mind that would work perfectly is the VOX AC30. However, the song "Hurricane" would work well IMO with the tone of the OR15.

As previously noted, there is minimal clean headroom on the OR15. You can get a nice clean chime tone if you just lower the volume on your guitar and pick or strum lightly.

I should also let you know that the circuitry of the OR15 is the same as the Jim Root Dark Terror. Only difference is that the Dar Terror is voiced slightly different.

ragincajun1919
Tiny Terror

Post by ragincajun1919 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:17 pm

I have an OR15 and recently picked up a Tiny Terror. The TT was neat but IMo sounded nowhere near as good as the OR15. I felt the or15 sounded much thicker and more full. Plus, I like a normal TMB EQ rather than the "shape" knob. I got rid of the TT, kept the OR15. Need another 112 and 412 though

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:55 pm

First off, those stoner bands don't use tons of gain. More of a classic rock guitar tone. You FOR SURE don't need an amp with four gain stages. If anything I'd steer clear of that so you have more headroom and more room on the gain knob to dial in your desired gain level.

I always say this to most people looking for an Orange to do anything but really low tuned metal or very heavy stuff, get a used Rocker 30 head and at least a 2x12. I would stay away from a 15w amp for stoner stuff. You need more low end of a larger transformer and wattage. That's my 2 cents.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:05 pm

I should add that a lot of these types of bands use Sunns, Ampeg V4s, 100w non-master Marshalls, Hiwatts, high wattage Orange, Twin Reberbs, etc because they are able to be played clean VERY loudly with no breakup, not because they have tons of gain. It's pretty common for a lot of these dudes to use pedals for gain / fuzz. Just some food for thought.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Last post, but a used (or new if you've got the cash) OR50 head may be right up your alley.

Belabor

Post by Belabor » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:43 pm

baytamusic wrote:Last post, but a used (or new if you've got the cash) OR50 head may be right up your alley.
Thanks for all the tips, man! I've got no where near enough cash on me for a used OR50, though. Used Rocker 30's go for about the same as a brand new TH30 combo here in Europe, but I've been seeing a few pop up for lower prices, so I'm going to Keep My Eyes Peeled.

I guess I am going to need something with a bit more headroom, although I still would really like to test drive the OR15. The Dual Terror is still very much in the equasion, but I've started looking beyond Orange as well. Something like a larger wattage Laney is also right up my alley, although their higher gain lines do have a different sonic character to them. Marshall is not really my cup of tea, and although I'd like a Fender in the future, I don't have enough pedals to really get the most out of them at the moment.

JAMMAN798

Post by JAMMAN798 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:06 am

You may be able to get an amp in your price range that would do it for you.... perhaps the Hughes & Kettner Tube Meister 18. It can mimic many amp styles with it's clean channel & crunch channel + lead boost.

I found it was a good amp for the money (for the head). It needs to run through at minimum a 12 inch speaker for good response (2 x 12 inch would be even better). Also it has pretty good clean headroom when you use single coil pickups.

Here is a video where I compared the Tubemeister to the Orange OR15:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEFzcEkKRfc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As you can see, it can "kind of" sound like an Orange amp, but not exactly.

If you're into recording, here is a demo video where I tried out the Tubemeister's Redbox:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ubs529PPPc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belabor

Post by Belabor » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:46 am

JAMMAN798 wrote:You may be able to get an amp in your price range that would do it for you.... perhaps the Hughes & Kettner Tube Meister 18. It can mimic many amp styles with it's clean channel & crunch channel + lead boost.

I found it was a good amp for the money (for the head). It needs to run through at minimum a 12 inch speaker for good response (2 x 12 inch would be even better). Also it has pretty good clean headroom when you use single coil pickups.

Here is a video where I compared the Tubemeister to the Orange OR15:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEFzcEkKRfc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As you can see, it can "kind of" sound like an Orange amp, but not exactly.

If you're into recording, here is a demo video where I tried out the Tubemeister's Redbox:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ubs529PPPc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have to go with the majority vote on your OR15 vs Tubemeister 18 demo: the OR is just a tad warmer/fatter and cuts through a lot better than the Tubemeister. I liked it! Great demo by the way, you can really hear the minute differences between.

I've looked through your other demo's, and they have only reinforced the fact that I'm not very fond of either the TH30 or the VOX AC30/15. They just don't have the fat rhythm tones I'm looking for, although the definitely hold their own in the lead department. What really got me looking into the OR15 were rhythm tones, and the same goes for the Dual Terror.

A new Dual Terror and a PPC112 cab would be at the top of my amp budget, so I'm not looking to spend any more than 800 euros (that's around a 1000 dollars). I've actually started thinking about buying a cheaper amp with more headroom (like an Ampeg GVT, Laney Cub or Fender Blues Junior) and spending my time looking for the pedals I want, but I still really love the drive sounds these Oranges put out.

Ehh, I guess I'm just going to need to think about this a bit longer. Though, the longer I wait, the more I'm looking forward to buying a bass amp as well. :lol:

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:03 pm

Blues Jr is cool, but not the right amp for your intended tone I don't think. It really doesn't have all that much headroom for a Fender. If you're thinking Fender you may want something with a little more power to use with pedals, like a Twin Reverb or something.

I bet the Dual Terror and 1x12 would make you happy for now if that's in your budget and easily accessible. It will sound a million times better than what you have now that's for sure. You'll appreciate having two channels trust me. You can always upgrade to a higher wattage amp if you really start playing lots of shows.

JAMMAN798

Post by JAMMAN798 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:45 am

I think the best amp for you, is just as you mentioned... a Dual Terror. That amp has the best of all worlds.... you could play pretty much most styles of music & it has plenty of power on tap. It's a great amp!