Getting into synth??

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Getting into synth??

Post by ECWeagles » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:36 pm

I've a hankering to get into synth. It may be no more than a hankering but I'm still thinking about it.

I'm interested in learning some keys based musical theory, and would rather not learn piano.

I'm not interested in in big swirling pads, buying a Nord or anything like that, more straightforward synth leads and experimentation is what I'm after.

I won't ever be a synth player in a band, looking at it as a hobby, a way to learn some more theory, and possibly having something to add to the odd song here or there.

Anyone else done the same? Anything to think about or avoid doing?

Also any ideas for starter synths?

I'm not looking at a full size keyboard machine. Was looking at Novation mininova or arturia mini beast or something like that.

Looking forward to your input!
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Getting into synth??

Post by Jondog » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:59 pm

I'm not I to synth much, but I do have an m-audio USB keyboard that I mess around with a bunch of synth plug-ins I have on pro-tools. Can be fun. That's one approach.

Companyman
Orange Hero

Post by Companyman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:22 am

The only way to go with synth for me is vintage analog, authenticity over digital simulation. I used to play in a noise ensemble with horns, cello and dude with the hugest collection of vintage Korgs, Sequential Circuits, Moogs, Arps etc.....pile of poop was bonkers and there isn't any simulation that would have the same presence, at least in a live situation...this is an expensive rabbit hole if you fall in!
http://www.myspace.com/earmarksaints
http://www.myspace.com/ceoman

My user name is everything that I am NOT !

Zachohh
Rocker

Post by Zachohh » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:23 am

I work with a guy who pre ordered one of these: http://www.zzounds.com/item--KORVOLCAKEYS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the price point and with how well he talks it up from all the info he's read and videos he's watched, he's almost got me convinced to buy one just to check it out. Pretty cheap. Apparently awesome, but that's coming from a co worker.

Might be worth looking into! :)
Orange Rockerverb 100
Vox AD120VTH w/ AD212
Gibson Firebird V
Fender Telecaster
Seagull and Ovation Acoustic Electrics

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:00 pm

There are two options for me:

Best sound is analog (moog, fender rhodes, wurlizer for example) which is expensive...

or

Get the cheapest synth you can find (or controller) that has midi in/out/thru and use software synths. This has the advantages that you have lots of sounds (tons of free ones even) and can always get new ones. I have the second type of setup in my basement studio and I can tell you, the softsynths are so good now that you wont realy miss the vintage stuff considering the cost difference.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:06 pm

I was going to suggest M Audio as an affordable and decent solution (although, anecdotally, not particularly durable if you're hoicking it around to gigs).

You then get some synth modules to rack up. If you've got a decent laptop or iPad, the range of software you can get these days and use via the controller is pretty immense.

We've got an app made by Camel Audio for the iPad. The basic thing is free, but you can add bundles of various sounds. You can use it on the iPad also without a controller... give that a go and see how you like it.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

thelatrobe33
Tiny Terror

Post by thelatrobe33 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:39 pm

Take a look at the microKorg. It's reasonable and a ton of fun, particularly if you're not terribly serious about it.
Dual Dark 50, Friedman Smallbox, '78 Twin Reverb, PPC412A, PPC212C

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:46 pm

I second the MicroKorg. I picked one up second hand for a really good price. In my first "synth" band, we didn't have a bass player so the keyboard player used it for the bass parts. I'm my current band, the bass player switches between bass guitar and the MK to change up the sound a little.

If you are looking at spending more on a new one, go for the XL version no question.