Anyone use a GoPro camera?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

myboss57
Orange Master

Anyone use a GoPro camera?

Post by myboss57 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:33 pm

So my girlfriend got me an early birthday present, a flight on the Memphis Belle B17 (the one from the movie, not a model that actually saw combat) that they tour around the country. They take you up for 30 minutes and you get to move around and sit in all the different crew positions and experience flying in a real vintage bomber from WWII. I'm pretty stoked and even more so because my grandfather was a bombardier on one in WWII and I just recently got a copy of his flight log from his 55 missions over Germany and Italy - insanely interesting to read the first hand accounts of what all those guys went through!

Anyways, my above ramblings aside, I'm thinking of getting a GoPro Hero2 Outdoor Edition (this edition comes with all the accessories for mounting and strapping it to things) for the flight. I am sold on one cause I could also film my band's shows from interesting vantage points with it, and otherwise have fun taking it places like skateboarding or scootering around town.

Anybody have one of these? Is there a reason I should spend another $200 and get the Hero3? It seems like the Hero2 will do me just fine. Just wanted some fellow Orangers' opinions!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Re: Anyone use a GoPro camera?

Post by enricoromanielo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:08 pm

Nice present!!

As for the GoPro, the former rythim guitarrist in my band used to take his to record some sessions. I believe he ownded the GoPro 2. The quality was very good! I think you should go for it! I believe the main difference between the models if the quality of the image when you record while moving (e.g., on a bike, surf board, snowboard etc).

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:12 pm

Thanks! Yeah, the GoPro2, Hero2, I think it's the same more or less. Seems like the quality is great, from what I've read. And since I'm not going to be doing any extreme sports with it or serious videography, the 2 probably is the way to go price and features-wise.

Haha, I guess I've talked myself into the 2 already, just wanted to get some opinions though - I want to be sure.

Thanks again!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:50 pm

:cry: I love this place... please let the GAS end :lol:
Paul.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:25 pm

:lol: this is my gas refuge!!
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:43 pm

That sounds awesome. I have nothing to add about the camera, but I'm looking forward to seeing some footage of the flight. I've been inside of all of the major WWII bomber models (on the ground) at air shows except for the B-29.

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:22 am

I personally am not a big fan of the Go-Pro's. The only reason they're so popular is their rugged-ness, as far as image quality goes there are better products out there. The latest model is however a lot better on IQ than the Hero-2.

I think the Sony Action Cam is interesting, since it has image-stabilization. There are two models, one with and without wi-fi (to control stuff via smartphone, I guess). Image quality is a bit crisper than the Hero-2, though has a little more lens-flare.

Watch these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzT6g-UjXnM (includes slow-motion 120fps @ 720p footage)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvfXWzmldYI (direct comparison with Hero-2)

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:59 am

Thanks for the recommend on the Sony camera, never heard of that one. The reviews on Amazon are few and somewhat mixed though, but I'll keep investigating. And I'll have to check out those videos when I get home from work later.

And I'll try and get something together and post footage on here after the flight! I've been inside of a B17 before, they have one at Fantasy of Flight near Kissimmee, Fla. (if you are ever in that area, check it out, place rules). I'm really excited about actually going on a real flight in one!
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412