Best distortion pedal?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Blew1

Best distortion pedal?

Post by Blew1 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:13 pm

Hello everyone,

My current rig is a Gibson LP Classic Plus, a TH30 head and Orange cabinet, a BOSS GE-& Equalizer (for boosting mids / solos) and I will be getting myself a basic Crybaby Wah soon.
I have been looking at an overdrive pedal e.g Maxon OD9, Ibanez TS9, Digitech Bad Monkey etc as well and that's an ongoing matter...
I was wondering whether I'd be better getting a Distortion or something like the EHX Little Big Muff instead first as I already have the GE-7 for boosting and I can use the Crybaby for soloing anyway and was looking for something to boost heavy riffs more.
Can anyone recommend a good heavy distortion that would go well with the TH30?

Here are some I am considering :
-Seymour Duncan Twin Mayhem
-Dr Green Black Death
-MXR Custom Badass
-EHX Little Big Muff (yes I know its a more or less a fuzz but its still being billed as a distortion)
-BOSS DS1

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
Blew1

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Best distortion pedal?

Post by Jondog » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:47 pm

Cross the DS-1 one off the list unless your getting a keeley modded one.

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:53 pm

I would recommend that you try out a T-Rex Mudhoney II, if you can find one in your area.

http://t-rex-effects.com/products/disto ... -ii-1.aspx

It has two channels, that can only be used independently from each other. Each channel has gain, volume and tone, as well as a boost switch. When running a channel in normal mode with medium gain, it's very much like an overdrive which can be shaped to nearly any characteristic with the tone knob. When you flick the boost switch, it boosts the gain, which launches the pedal into distortion territory. I boost channel 2 which is running a bit hotter on gain and volume, and a little lower on the tone, for a thick, fuzzy distortion. This pedal - unlike some of the other distortion pedals I've used in front of my Orange TH100, sounds absolutely amazing! Check it out!

/edited for typos
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:11 pm

Never played it though a TH30, but the best distortion pedal I´ve ever played is the Suhr Riot. It is incredible and versatile, totally worth the price. Wampler Plextortion and Pinnacle are also good options, but I much prefer the Riot.

Catalinbread has some great pedals as well.

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

jesperbc
Orange Hero

Post by jesperbc » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:10 pm

I had the Wampler Plextortion. Sounded awesome when I tried it in the store on an AC30, sounded great at home on my AC15, sounded thin and fizzy no matter how I set it on my TH100.
Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:08 pm

enricoromanielo wrote:Never played it though a TH30, but the best distortion pedal I´ve ever played is the Suhr Riot. It is incredible and versatile, totally worth the price. Wampler Plextortion and Pinnacle are also good options, but I much prefer the Riot.

Agree with the Plextortion. I had a TH30 and ran the Plextortion through it. MI Audio Crunch Box is great. Love that pedal. I will always have a Crunch Box. Which is why I'm now getting the upgraded Super Crunch Box! :P

saturnine
Rocker

Post by saturnine » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:53 am

Orangesoda wrote:
enricoromanielo wrote:Never played it though a TH30, but the best distortion pedal I´ve ever played is the Suhr Riot. It is incredible and versatile, totally worth the price. Wampler Plextortion and Pinnacle are also good options, but I much prefer the Riot.

Agree with the Plextortion. I had a TH30 and ran the Plextortion through it. MI Audio Crunch Box is great. Love that pedal. I will always have a Crunch Box. Which is why I'm now getting the upgraded Super Crunch Box! :P
I totally agree with that! The MI Audio Crunch Box is a great pedal AND it works really well in front of the TH30.
Let me know when you´ve tried the Super Crunch Box :)

/J
Orange RV50 MK I Head
Orange PPC412
Orange PPC112 x2
Orange Micro Terror
Ibanez TSA15H
2x Gibson SG Standard
Peter Naglitsch Custom
Fender Tele ´72 Roadworn
Fender Tele FSR Custom
Squier Tele Classic Vibe
Jackson ATX
Jackson TH-2
Hagström Viking
Pedals...

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:19 pm

saturnine wrote:
Orangesoda wrote:
I totally agree with that! The MI Audio Crunch Box is a great pedal AND it works really well in front of the TH30.
Let me know when you´ve tried the Super Crunch Box :)

/J
Yea man no prob! I placed the order and it should arrive Thu or Fri. I have a TV50 and a a 70's Twin so I may do a vid playing through those 2. I have the TV50 for sale so if I don't sell it before then I'll play through it. If it gets sold I'll wait until I get a Rocker 30. If anyone has one they wanna get rid of I'll take it :P

ragincajun1919
Tiny Terror

Post by ragincajun1919 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:24 pm

I use the MXR Custom Shop GT OD pedal with great results on most amps I've used it with. Sounds pretty good (although not at all needed) with my TH100.

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Post by ECWeagles » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:05 pm

I have the Super Crunchbox and it is fantastic.

I used to have the Riot and liked it very much, but the SCB really is much more versatile, given that you have High and Low gain settings and 3 different compression levels.

Highly recommended.
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:20 pm

ECWeagles wrote:I have the Super Crunchbox and it is fantastic.

I used to have the Riot and liked it very much, but the SCB really is much more versatile, given that you have High and Low gain settings and 3 different compression levels.

Highly recommended.
Yeah, the Riot is much more for higher gain stuff. Works really well for 80s metal and hard rock. I am going to give that Super Crunchbox a try. Very interested in the Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive as well.

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Highly recommended.
I like both as well and have both on my board.

The Riot for 80s-90s stuff and the SCB for a boosted drive lead.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Orangesoda
Orange Hero

Post by Orangesoda » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:32 pm

Highly recommended.
Nice nice. One pedal that I think is very underrated that I really like is my Jekyll and Hyde OD and Distortion. That pedal along with my Crunch Box will never leave. I highly recommend those 2. They sounded great through my TT. I don't use the OD side too much, just can't get enough of the Distortion side.

Chackbay

Post by Chackbay » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:54 pm

I am all about my Suhr Riot. I can send my Rocker 30 into orbit with the gain on the Riot rolled back and the level up. Its crazy man!

The OCD is not a distortion pedal, but is will also make an already overdriven amp sound like a raging beast.

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Chackbay wrote:

I am all about my Suhr Riot. I can send my Rocker 30 into orbit with the gain on the Riot rolled back and the level up. Its crazy man!
You mean like a boost in the Dirty Channel? I´ve never used it like that with my Rocker 30... I just use the Riot in the Natural Channel to get some really heavy distortion tones for some of the tunes, whilst leaving the Dirty Channel set up for a nice classic/hard rock tone.

Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals