Best distortion pedal?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

StratusX
Rocker

Re: Best distortion pedal?

Post by StratusX » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:47 pm

ragincajun1919 wrote:I use the MXR Custom Shop GT OD pedal with great results on most amps I've used it with. Sounds pretty good (although not at all needed) with my TH100.
+1 to this!

I use one with my AD30 and it works great to get that hot-rodded 80s metal type sound. Alot of people probably pass over it thinking it's just another TS clone but it really is much more than a muddy mid-booster. GREAT pedal for the money!

Also, surprised no one has brought up a Fulltone OCD, ZVex Super Hard On, ZVex Box of Rock or, instead of the Big Muff, the Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh
Hi, my name is Ian.
1973 Gibson SG
2009 Gibson Melody Maker
2011 Gibson Midtown Standard
2006 Schecter Hellraiser
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC108 X 2
Orange AD30HTC
Orange PPC212

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:56 pm

StratusX wrote:
ragincajun1919 wrote:I use the MXR Custom Shop GT OD pedal with great results on most amps I've used it with. Sounds pretty good (although not at all needed) with my TH100.
+1 to this!

I use one with my AD30 and it works great to get that hot-rodded 80s metal type sound. Alot of people probably pass over it thinking it's just another TS clone but it really is much more than a muddy mid-booster. GREAT pedal for the money!

Also, surprised no one has brought up a Fulltone OCD, ZVex Super Hard On, ZVex Box of Rock or, instead of the Big Muff, the Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh
I´ve only played a version 4 of the OCD, and hated it. Based on what I´ve heard and demos I´ve watched, the previous versions are really good though.

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:23 pm

StratusX wrote:Also, surprised no one has brought up a Fulltone OCD, ZVex Super Hard On, ZVex Box of Rock or, instead of the Big Muff, the Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh
The Super Hard On isn't a distortion it's a boost.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:00 pm

Try a boss DS-1

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:10 am

I'd wait until ZVex releases the Raging Semi.

Orange Hero

Post by 0000 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:38 am

Leave this thread up long enough and you'll get everyone suggesting practically every distortion pedal known to man, eventually.

Hell... you'll even get people suggestion pedals that have not even been released yet ^^^

My suggestion... Death By Audio - FUZZ WAR.
-Electrical Guitar Company "Buzzo" Double-Cut, Solid Aluminum, Gold Anodized.
-Gronlund Newcomb Custom aluminum hollow-body guitar.
-Matchless Phoenix 35 w/ Matchless 4x10 Cabinet

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:48 am

DOD Grunge

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:51 am

0000 wrote:Leave this thread up long enough and you'll get everyone suggesting practically every distortion pedal known to man, eventually.

Hell... you'll even get people suggestion pedals that have not even been released yet ^^^

My suggestion... Death By Audio - FUZZ WAR.
Not fully released.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:52 am

Randy Bass wrote:I'd wait until ZVex releases the Raging Semi.
:lol:

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:47 am

enricoromanielo wrote:
StratusX wrote:
+1 to this!

I´ve only played a version 4 of the OCD, and hated it. Based on what I´ve heard and demos I´ve watched, the previous versions are really good though.

Agreed on the OCD. V2 I think was the best, it was the last one with a blue LED.

Here are my two suggestions:

The Hot Cake: Been on my board for 15 years, aside from my V847 Vox Wah it's the only pedal I have never replaced since I got it, and pretty much been a mainstay on every board. Set the drive to 0, presence to 0, and volume to 12:00 and there is 0 difference between your bypassed tone and effected tone. Just adjust drive and presence to taste. It can get really fuzzy, so watch out. Fantastic box. the OCD was very similar, but an inferior design to the Hot Cake. Manufacture support is unreal, my pedal died on me a few years ago, I sent it back to Mr. Crowther in New Zealand and he sent it back fixed up with my only cost being shipping... 10 years later after I bought it!

Empress Multi-Drive: I picked this up right after I grabbed my RV50 MK1 a little while ago to replace my defunct Emma ReezaFratzitz (also a bloody amazing distortion), and I love it! It's so versatile and just a complete blast. The PGS demos intimidated me, but I loved the tone. I don't think PGS did the pedal justice in terms of ease of use or versatility. But the nailed it for tone.

Both are in current use on my RV50 and simply beautiful.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

fer_23_43

Post by fer_23_43 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:11 am

I´ve got the crunch box, this one with 3 knobs. It sounds like marshalls, but with orange amps sounds so good!! another one I like too much is Proco Rat II. :D :D but don´t forget the OCDs :wink: :wink:
orange or18 plexi hand wired

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:25 am

Hotcake - new on my board, but I really like it. Sounds very much like simply turning the amp up.

MXR Custom Badass OD (the gold one) - Love this too. Loads of bite, loads of bass (if you want it)

Boss SD1 - I could happily use this for my drive sounds. It's slightly outclassed by "better" pedals, but still perfectly good enough.

Stringjunkie
Tiny Terror

Post by Stringjunkie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:03 pm

The Bogner Red pedal

CarbonToe.
Tiny Terror

Post by CarbonToe. » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:47 pm

Give the Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet an audition.

http://www.fulltone.com/products/fulldrive2-mosfet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great pedal. :D
Gear: Kurt Cobain Jaguar, Kurt Cobain Mustang, American Std Tele ('10 3burst), Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange OR15, Orange Tiny Terror HW, Vox Night Train NT15H, Marshall JCM-1H, PPC112 Cab & a Marshall Custom Pin-Up

Foef
Orange Master

Post by Foef » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:29 pm

What strikes me is that most people either praise fuzz or overdrive pedals. Hardly anyone suggests a true distortion.
For what i've heard, the suhr riot is a good one. I just bought the mesa throttle box. Real fat high gain distortion.
Bogner red is one i would also recommend. I have tried the mxr '78 badass distortion, but did not get along with it. Fuzzy loose bass end and there's alway a huge mid cut. There's a new one that should be good. Quite curious about that one.
Really... Go check some youtube vidoe's. They're quite helpful.
Squier 15 (1988)
Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband