American Football

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

chuckbat1
Tiny Terror

American Football

Post by chuckbat1 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:32 am

Thank God it's football season. All training camps open. I'm ready. I can't stand Colin Kapernick
Tiny Terror
TH30H
Orange PPC 1x12 Cabs

msmith4432
Orange Master

Re: American Football

Post by msmith4432 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:37 am

I'm with you and I'm ready... Sorry my Brittish brothers but our football is better and your futball is well... Soccer :D
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

BaBaBooey
Tiny Terror

Post by BaBaBooey » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:55 am

I'm so ready! F Capernick.... F the whole 49ers.... I've been a Bronco since '84, so nothing personal 9er fans.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:00 am

At least our football is played with the feet :)
Where's the skill in carrying a ball in your hands... American 'football' or Rugby for that matter :|

I take my hats off to you guys tho for producing the race track at Laguna Seca. For a nation famed for its long straight roads the cork screw is one hell of a corner. Would love to see F1 cars race round there.
Paul.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:38 am

I Love Football (the proper original kind) and can't wait for the season to start - only a short month now......
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:58 pm

It would be less confusing if the NFL started calling it "Throwball". The kicker and punter are the only guys who actually kick the ball, and for that reason, they aren't considered "real" football players :D . Oh the irony.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:19 pm

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:55 pm

My friend Kate from the UK puts it this way:
"What you Americans call football is a bunch of rugby players running around wearing armor."

I'm not a fan of USA Football but I do love watching some UK Football from time to time....

OR73
Rocker

Post by OR73 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:28 pm

bclaire wrote:My friend Kate from the UK puts it this way:
"What you Americans call football is a bunch of rugby players running around wearing armor."

I'm not a fan of USA Football but I do love watching some UK Football from time to time....

I love this argument. They don't understand that people would die if they didn't wear pads. Quarterbacks would have a lower life expectancy than smoke jumpers..

I don't think rugby fans understand just how large and fast american football players are. The speed of the game is just incredible and the impacts enormous.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:10 pm

OR73 wrote:

I love this argument. They don't understand that people would die if they didn't wear pads. Quarterbacks would have a lower life expectancy than smoke jumpers..

I don't think rugby fans understand just how large and fast american football players are. The speed of the game is just incredible and the impacts enormous.
There's no doubt about, proper football, rugby and American football are 3 very different sports requiring different qualities from their athletes. The demands on the bodies are very different.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:14 am

The band is better than the sport.

Also Karpernick is ok by me. Go 49ers!

Janglin_Jack
Orange Hero

Post by Janglin_Jack » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:46 am

OR73 wrote:

+1. My buddy's nephew played offensive tackle at Villanova. He as 6'5" and 275 lbs. Wayyy too small and slow to play in the NFL. :shock: Offensive tackle needs to be well over 300lbs. Linebackers are fast as hell, tight ends are big and can catch. Defensive ends are huge and almost as fast as a sprinter.

My Aussie buddy used to ask why all the players "fell down" right after they snapped the ball. He has since read lots about American Football and he is a tremendous fan and very knowledgeable, now.

BTW - at a work meeting, I met some Aussies and Kiwis. Some big guy said he played Rugby in New Zealand. I asked him a few questions and I said about all I know about Rugby is the scrum. He yelled to his mates that I wanted to learn about Rugby. They grabbed the napkin holder and threw it to me. The proceeded to make a scrum as they bit my ears and punched my stomach and pinched me like monkeys. We had a lot of fun tearing that bar apart.

I think all the sports take tough guys, but the demands are very different in each sport.

Mike
"...weak with evil and broken by the world."

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:34 am

I grew up in north Florida where college football is a religion. I know on most levels college football is completely ridiculous with NCAA making billions while students athletes don't get paid (other than scholarships), football players suffer long term health problems with concussions, no playoff systems etc... but if Florida is playing on TV you better believe I'm watching it (Go Gators!) I have no rational explanation for this. I moved from Florida to Oregon almost a decade ago, I graduated from Portland State University (terrible football team) not UF. I guess it's because it was one of the few things that everyone in my family liked. My dad was a workaholic who to this day rarely stops moving but we always made time for college football.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:54 am

JRogero wrote: I have no rational explanation for this.

I don't have one either, and it doesn't make sense to me, but it;s weird how for some, including myself, following your team takes huge importance, way beyond any logical explanation.

I guess it probably draws on long held instinct of belonging to a tribe or something similar.
I'm somtimes almost ashamed how watching my team lose or win can make my day a great day or a rubbish day.

I know I should know better, yet....... :oops:
Ant

OR73
Rocker

Post by OR73 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:31 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
OR73 wrote:

There's no doubt about, proper football, rugby and American football are 3 very different sports requiring different qualities from their athletes. The demands on the bodies are very different.

Indeed, I think of soccer players as endurance athletes. They have to run constantly and have to be in shape like marathon runners almost.

American Football is a game of bursts of energy and bursts of speed. The athletes are built to carry as much weight and as much speed as possible at the expense of long term endurance (hence the 4 quarters and 2 sides of the ball).

Rugby is a little bit of both, The guys are in between sizes of soccer and the NFL, and still a lot more on the endurance side of things than NFL players are.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy