Xaviere Guitars!?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

myboss57
Orange Master

Xaviere Guitars!?

Post by myboss57 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:21 am

Anyone have one of these, any thoughts?

http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-820-Surf ... p_997.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've poked around, out of the few reviews from sites that I'm able to get to from work, people have positive things to say. I'm not a fan of the headstock (oh boo hoo), but for the price, can one pass this up?
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Xaviere Guitars!?

Post by bclaire » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:03 pm

I'm curious, too. They're located in the next town over from me, but I've been unable to see if it's possible to go try or pick up parts directly from them... I might just drive by and see what I can discover....

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:23 pm

Oh, that would be sweet if you could actually visit a factory or showroom of some type and get hands on! Definitely keep us posted. The more I've searched for reviews, there are some folks saying they aren't great, crappy tuners and some QC mishaps. None of it seems too terrible though, and for the price I can deal with some of that stuff.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:10 pm

And you think the G&L headstock is ugly, haha!

Well, if you do buy it, at least you don't lose much! It'll probably be tough to resell if you don't like it. A better move would be to take that money and add a little more, and buy the Classic Vibe used.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:18 pm

baytamusic wrote:And you think the G&L headstock is ugly, haha!

Well, if you do buy it, at least you don't lose much! It'll probably be tough to resell if you don't like it. A better move would be to take that money and add a little more, and buy the Classic Vibe used.
:lol: Yeah, that headstock ain't good looking either, but at under $200 I can deal with it or just buy a replacement.

And I may still just got the Squier route anyways, just can't believe these are so cheap! And I wouldn't resell it if I didn't like it, just give it to a nephew or smash at a gig or something. 8)
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:35 pm

I really like the selection, especially the thinlines. I"m curious.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:37 pm

Yeah, they have a great selection for sure. It was your new pup day that got me over to the GFS Site again, too. :lol:

I like the 335 copies a lot as well.
Gibson SG Standard
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:30 pm

they're only a couple of towns over from me too. According to online, they don't have a retail store. Mail order only. that's not to say you couldn't schmooze your way into the production facility. I've used a couple of their pedals and i'm still using their tuner. Decent quality stuff. I did order a neck from them for a cheap cheap Strat project I was working on. I never did use it but it appeared to have a slight twist in it. Who knows, it may have been me that was twisted at the time. They're in production with Earl Slick (of AD30HTC notoriety) on a line of really cool looking guitar straps.
==================================================================

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:52 pm

Into the production facility? More like into a warehouse full of boxes from China. haha.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Xaviere Guitars!?

Post by DiabloS » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:11 am

I took a chance and ordered one of these a few years ago, mine was a Les Paul copy though. I didn't keep it for very long. It wasn't terrible by any means, especially for the price but it felt a little cheap and had a few issues with knobs/switches just not working very smoothly. It played and sounded about as good as an Epiphone worth 3 times the price though, so it's not all bad. I think QC is probably a big factor with these, some people may luck out and get a real good one with no flaws here and there, which would be a steal. I have a feeling a lot of them would be like mine was though, pretty good for the price but not spectacular overall.

I'd have to side with Bayta on this one and just spring for a Classic Vibe, even a used one would be roughly the same price and those are extremely good bang for the buck guitars with few QC issues.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:27 am

I clicked on this thread to say just get a squier, but it has already been said. uhhh... +1

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:02 am

I'd probably just get the Squire as well.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:10 am

People On harmony central used to swear by them - but then, on those shores, polishing a turd was a favorite pastime.

To make them decent, hardware and electronic upgrades are usually needed, and once that cost is factored in.... One might as well look somewhere else IMO.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:03 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:People On harmony central used to swear by them - but then, on those shores, polishing a turd was a favorite pastime.

To make them decent, hardware and electronic upgrades are usually needed, and once that cost is factored in.... One might as well look somewhere else IMO.
This is true. As an admitted Turd Polisher (not a gay slur, by the way), I have had the experience of realizing that buying a cheap guitar and dumping loads of money into upgrades is a terrible investment.

I also can't bring myself to buy a Tele knockoff without the proper headstock shape. That only leaves Squiers and Fenders for me.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:25 pm

baytamusic wrote:Into the production facility? More like into a warehouse full of boxes from China. haha.

Probably. I've bought pickups from them for a cheap Aria LP copy that was a friend of mine's (pickups sound good BTW) and three or four of the Earl Slick straps - they're really good but they're printed and raw leather - I ended up using matte acrylic medium to coat them - one of them I used gloss acrylic medium. Worked great and added a proper finish to the straps...