OTR 120

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

montag

OTR 120

Post by montag » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:16 am

Hey everyone,

This is my OTR 120 that I bought from a shop in Oregon around 1997 or '98- the owner imported it from the UK as they weren't available in the US at the time. I've always found them to be a little mysterious as I've never seen another one anywhere else. Can I get some OTR love? I'm thinking of selling it, and might need some convincing to not. :)

What do you guys know about these amps?

Thanks!

dreamdistortion
Tiny Terror

Re: OTR 120

Post by dreamdistortion » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:34 am

Looks like a gorgeous amp. Much better construction than the new ones. Here's some info from the Orange site:

This amplifier is the Overdrive 120 4 x EL34 enhanced by eighteen modifications. Introduced in 1997, OTR stands for Oscillatory Transition Return. The OTR 80 is the 2 x EL34 version. The very early models featured the letters OTR on the front panel in a much larger font.

“Sound modifications suggested by Noel Gallagher gave the Overdrive more sparkle*, and they formed the basis of the new OTR.” - Adrian Emsley, Orange Amplification Technical Director

Would love to hear your thoughts on how it plays/sounds.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:00 am

:shock: Has that amp ever left your house!? That thing looks absolutely pristine!

I don't know much about them, but I was intrigued by the whole adding "sparkle" to the overdrive. Had one popped up when I was looking to buy my OD120, I probably would have jumped on it. Don't sell it unless you never play and have no need for an amp of that wattage.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:12 am

Don't know much about them but that is a sweet amp. Like myboss57 says, don't sell it unless you have no need for it. Wish the newer ORs followed that design.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:47 am

Hi montage. Welcome to the forum.

I love my 'Overdrive'. Sure I'd love your OTR too!

Probably not huge numbers made simply because they weren't around for very long. The OTR was actually the first model put out by Orange after original boss Cliff Cooper got the Orange rights back from Gibson. I've always suspected (only a theory though) that they weren't allowed to put out amps identical to the previous 'Graphic' and 'Overdrive' models, hence getting Orange Ade Emsley to do some slight mods. Little more gain and slight phase inverter redesign won't hurt the amp at all, and Ade has always known exactly what he is doing with his designs.
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very nice amp, and yeah, in lovely nick. Needs used! :!:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:23 pm

are you running it through that marshall cab? has it got g12t75's in it?
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

montag

Post by montag » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the responses- lots of great info here and linked!
myboss57 wrote::shock: Has that amp ever left your house!? That thing looks absolutely pristine!

I don't know much about them, but I was intrigued by the whole adding "sparkle" to the overdrive. Had one popped up when I was looking to buy my OD120, I probably would have jumped on it. Don't sell it unless you never play and have no need for an amp of that wattage.
To be honest, it really hasn't left my studio much- I only played one show with it! :) My band broke up shortly after I bought it, so I used it as a studio amp since. I haven't even really been playing with it in the studio much either, as I can't use that wattage in a nyc apt, hence why I'm thinking of selling it.

I'm curious as to how the newer construction compares to the older builds?

As for the tone- it very much does *sparkle* and the range is huge. It's remarkably clear, and the wide tone range runs the gambit, including thick, fuzzy, and nasty!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:11 pm

montag wrote:Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the responses- lots of great info here and linked!
myboss57 wrote::shock: Has that amp ever left your house!? That thing looks absolutely pristine!

To be honest, it really hasn't left my studio much- I only played one show with it! :) My band broke up shortly after I bought it, so I used it as a studio amp since. I haven't even really been playing with it in the studio much either, as I can't use that wattage in a nyc apt, hence why I'm thinking of selling it.

I'm curious as to how the newer construction compares to the older builds?

As for the tone- it very much does *sparkle* and the range is huge. It's remarkably clear, and the wide tone range runs the gambit, including thick, fuzzy, and nasty!
Basically unless you buy a custom shop, all the wire connections are terminal clipped on rather than soldered. Sometimes the clips are cheap plastic and hot glued to the board for "security", :roll: Cheaper components too in some cases. But, they still sound like an Orange.

Belford
Tiny Terror

Post by Belford » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:06 am

Oh my, that is a gorgeous looking amp! 8)
The OTR/OD is still my dream rock amplifier, one day..
They definitely aren't the right choice for home, but fantastic when turned up

Here's two good demos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcFCbzgBuMs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (OTR120, by Cam from Daria / Orange Amps)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDuJVSdWy_g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Overdrive Series II, by Gregs)

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:23 pm

What's up "Montag"!!??

This is Ben. I've talked with you a lot about this amp and almost bought it a time or 2, ended up finding and OR120 local to me, so that is why I did not, if you remember.

Glad to see you made your way to this forum.

Everyone will drool in here over that museum piece. It is the cleanest looking example I have ever seen and a rarer OTR to boot.

I hope you decide to stick around awhile, as this forum is the best for Orange amps, and many other topics too.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

montag

Post by montag » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:02 pm

Hey Ben!

Thanks for the grand welcome- it's good to see you here! This forum is great. Lots of awesome info, this thread included!

Cheers,

Alex

Forrrest
Tiny Terror

Post by Forrrest » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:25 pm

I have one
about the same age as yours.

what do you want to know about it.
I also have an OD120, which I had modded to the OTR specs since I prefer the sound of the OTR.
my band: https://neargrey.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forrrest
Tiny Terror

Post by Forrrest » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:20 pm

my band: https://neargrey.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:17 am

I have an OTR as well. But a 2x12 combo. It's basically been my only amp for the past 10 years... Just recorded an entire album on that and a Krank amp. It sounds brilliant.

I've put mine up for sale numerous times, as I've always wanted a top and cab instead, but I always regret it and it still hasn't left me. And I still haven't played any other Orange amp that sounds just as good...

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:16 am

Irritating position for the Standby switch.