NPD - Pharaoh Fuzz + incoming Beano Boost

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:03 am

I've got 2 new pedals on order. The Analogman Beano Boost Treble Booster and a Black Arts Pharaoh Fuzz. I'm actually hoping to stack them together to give me a nice fuzz tone that will still cut through a mix. Anyone else ever use the Beano Boost into an Orange amp? I found a few older threads by searching and it looks like some people used to rave about them on here years ago (2005-2008-ish) through their Orange amps but I haven't heard of them here since I've joined the forum.

EDIT: Pharaoh Fuzz has arrived!
Last edited by DiabloS on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Gorgar
Tiny Terror

Re: Incoming NPD - Beano Boost + Pharaoh Fuzz

Post by Gorgar » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:45 pm

The Sun Lion (fuzz into beano) is always the first thing in my chain, and if I could have only one pedal, that'd be it. I especially like the way the beano side sounds in front of other distortions.

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:12 pm

My Pharaoh is on the way too, ordered it yesterday! I'm hoping it stacks well with an OCD or the Fulltone Fatboost :twisted: Sorry, no experience with the Beano boost, but I would assume that anything "transparent" will work.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Pharoah's rule with oranges :) :twisted:

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:31 am

pharaoh also rules with my ac30... sooo good
accept darkness.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:13 am

Well I just got my Pharaoh Fuzz tonight and sadly it's pretty late so I couldn't really get it loud enough to see its full potential. I found a bunch of cool tones though, it will definitely be useful for recording at the very least. You can even still get some good sounds with it when the amp has a fair share of gain on it already. It seems to play pretty well with existing preamp dirt. I'll still have to try it with the band to see how well it'll do for live, but either way happy with the purchase so far!
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:37 pm

Well I've had a chance to play with both the Pharaoh Fuzz and the Beano Boost and I have to say the biggest surprise here was the Analogman Beano Boost. It sounds amazing as a lead boost! For those not familiar, it's a rangemaster clone (used by Eric Clapton, Iommi, etc.) with NOS germanium transistors.

It's actually designed to be paired with darker sounding british amps and it really makes your leads sing and bring them to life. It's also very responsive to picking dynamics, It can go from whisper quiet to balls out screaming leads just by how I pick the strings. It's not really a transparent boost, but that's kind of what I love about it. It brings out other frequencies that seem to makes your amp come to life when it kicks in. It's not piercing either, it's kind of bright but still juicy sounding and not too thin.

I'd even recommend this to everyone with a single channel amp with no FX loop looking for a lead boost. Even with the gain at 2 o'clock on my TV50, it makes my leads stick out way more because of the tone shift. Very happy with this pedal, best boost I've ever paired with an Orange!

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: NPD - Pharaoh Fuzz + incoming Beano Boost

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:55 pm

Interesting that beano boost! I use my poorly danelectro cool cat in much the same way, but I expect yours must be on another level altogether!

I keep hearing about those Germanium transistor!!! What's the deal with them? They seem to be in such high regards!

Did you get more time with your pharaoh? Any more thoughts?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:33 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:Interesting that beano boost! I use my poorly danelectro cool cat in much the same way, but I expect yours must be on another level altogether!

I keep hearing about those Germanium transistor!!! What's the deal with them? They seem to be in such high regards!

Did you get more time with your pharaoh? Any more thoughts?
I don't know much about the advantage of Germanium transistors honestly, other than that's what they used back in the 60's/70's so it helps to get a more vintage sound. The pedal is also more quiet than any other boost I've tried, which is supposed to be another quality of germanium transistors according to the manual.

I found a video of the Beano Boost through a Tiny Terror, it's not the best demo but still shows the way it really brings the amp to life. I'd start the demo past the 1 min mark, since the start is kind of useless if you're gonna watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kl1gsTwv7Y

As far as the Pharaoh Fuzz, I like it! I've had the chance to play it more and it's versatile for sure, I feel like I still haven't discovered all it can do. My only complaint so far is that it brings its share of noise/feedback with it, but I guess that's normal for almost all fuzzes. I'm still not sure if I'm just gonna use it for recording and playing at home, I still need to test it out with the band. I think I actually prefer it when I'm not going into a completely clean channel so far, it feels like it's kind of intended to blend with a bit of breakup when using it on the low-medium settings.

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:36 am

its really killer! I use it with my decimator ;)
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

Igneous
Tiny Terror

Post by Igneous » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:19 pm

You know, as much as I want to, I cant fall in love with the Pharaoh. First off its more a distortion than a fuzz and the other night I tried a whole practice with it and it just kinda sucked. Went back to dirty channel...

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:02 pm

Igneous wrote:You know, as much as I want to, I cant fall in love with the Pharaoh. First off its more a distortion than a fuzz and the other night I tried a whole practice with it and it just kinda sucked. Went back to dirty channel...

That's interesting to hear. I was wondering if the Pharaoh might be my solution but probably not then.

My swollen pickle is a good at fuzz, but only when almost maxed out - otherwise its a very good distortion.

I like how it sounds maxed out for Fuzz, but then some chorded notes can fart out badly outside of power chords. Great for leads though - or distortion.

Anybody would recommend an all out fuzzy fuzz?
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:27 pm

You guys are nuts :roll: I've never heard a pedal that works BETTER with the Rocker 30's natural channel.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:39 pm

apocalypsedude wrote:You guys are nuts :roll: I've never heard a pedal that works BETTER with the Rocker 30's natural channel.

What tones do you get out of yours? More like distortion or all out fuzzy goodness?

I remember watching that very cool video demo of the pharoah - it did sounds very good but not necessarily any fuzzier than my swollen pickle... it's difficult to say for sure without actually trying it though.
Ant

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:55 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
apocalypsedude wrote:You guys are nuts :roll: I've never heard a pedal that works BETTER with the Rocker 30's natural channel.

What tones do you get out of yours? More like distortion or all out fuzzy goodness?

I remember watching that very cool video demo of the pharoah - it did sounds very good but not necessarily any fuzzier than my swollen pickle... it's difficult to say for sure without actually trying it though.
It depends on the setting, the Germanium setting is a more subtle fuzz but the Silicon mode can get pretty fuzzy. I still think this pedal blends in with dirt already coming from your amp very well, but it's also giving me feedback so I can only use it an as effect really. I wouldn't be able to use it for a whole song since as soon as I stop playing it squeals really loudly. Any other fuzz pedal might react the same way though.

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror