NGD frustration: strat, ad30

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jax510
Rocker

NGD frustration: strat, ad30

Post by jax510 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:34 am

I just got a fender classic player 60's strat! I can't find my camera at the moment so no pics yet sadly. I have been playing it on my ad30 and when I turn up the gain there is a really buzzy unpleasant sound when I am playing (I don't mean the single coil sound when I am not playing) which is more pronounced when playing the g string but it occurs with any pickup and pretty much all over the fretboard to different degrees. It is present enough to be unpleasant and my wife commented on it so it's not just in my head haha This doesn't occur when I kick on my sd 1 but when I use the amps distortion the buzz comes back. The pickups are 57/62. The buzz doesn't seem to occur when I play humbuckers through the amp, although I suppose the oomph from pickups could just be overcoming the buzz. I do like the clean sound, especially the neck pickup, which doesn't buzz at all. Any ideas? Suggestions? Could something just be loose that the strat frequencies are rattling or something?

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Re: NGD frustration: strat, ad30

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:56 am

Check your tremolo clamp wire is connected to the shielding.
On a Strat you can improve the cavity shield with copper tape.

Do you have a screen (pc monitor), or an halogen lamp around your amp guitar?

I've a Strat and it's very quiet on the hum side, even at stage volume.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:49 pm

Yeah, as above.

Check the other groundings in the controls cavity as well, to make sure nothing's come loose or is pressing against something it shouldn't be.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

mr_william
Orange Master

Post by mr_william » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:39 pm

if it's happening in position 2 or 4 its obviously not a single coil issue.

is there any sign of any strange rattling/vibrating when unplugged?

does it do it when the ad30's set clean? both channels?

any chance of trying a different speaker cab?
Will.
Bink wrote:Will you're a genius!! :D
Randy Bass wrote:For the record, mr_william is a genius :D .

jax510
Rocker

Post by jax510 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:02 pm

Hubaxe: I will check that stuff out. I do have a laptop nearby, but the buzz sound only occurs when I use the ad30's overdrive. It isn't a loud single coil hum when not playing. I will check the other things you mentioned.

irishadmiral: I will check that as well.

mr._william: I don't hear anything unusual when unplugged. It will be a little while before I can try it with another cab but I am going to try the strat on other amps to see what happens. It sounds beautiful clean. I was wondering about the 2 and 4 position thing but the 57/62 don't have a reverse wound middle pickup so there is no hum cancelling with these. I will try more of both channels to compare.

I tried using more overdrive from a sd 1 going into the amp and that improved the sound. Maybe I just don't like the sound of single coil overdrive into the amp and there isn't anything wrong? :oops:

Im going to try some other strats through it and see what happens. Thanks!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Slowly turn in a circle and see if it goes away at one particular spot. That would be 60 cycle hum....

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:59 pm

bclaire wrote:Slowly turn in a circle and see if it goes away at one particular spot. That would be 60 cycle hum....
Or 50 Hz in some parts! :wink:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!