When are they going to make a MONSTER Terror?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ZombicidalMan

Post by ZombicidalMan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:19 am

This is my first post here, so I thought I'd ask something I've been thinking about lately. I'm in love with my Tiny Terror - it just has the sweetest dirt sound, turned me onto Oranges and low wattage amps. But more than just the great tone of the TT, it looks so go-go-gadget good, too. The all white finish with just a little bit of orange stands out, the lunchbox shape is awesome, especially in a dark setting when you can really see the tubes shining, and I like the idea of having no Tolex, just a metal frame. At the same time, I know one day I'll need/want a bigger amp like the Rockerverb.

So my thought is... when are they going to make, you know, a Monster Terror? It'd be really awesome if they made a large watt amp, like the Rockerverb or Thunderverb etc., but with a Tiny Terror style casing. I for one would like to see this amp realized, has anyone else thought about it? It'd have to a cool alliterative name too, like True Terror, or Tiny Titan, Titanic Terror etc.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Re: When are they going to make a MONSTER Terror?

Post by msmith4432 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:14 am

The dual Terror :D ... Twice the wattage and a second channel
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

ofcmaifa

Post by ofcmaifa » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:28 am

That would be cool. Something different than the standard wood shell. 100 watts of pure "Evil Terror". And a 3 channel model with clean, British sounding Orange with low mid high knobs and Dark Terror/TH series with the shape knob. Boom! Pure evil. LOL.

OrangeJuicer
Orange Hero

Post by OrangeJuicer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:36 am

Teutonic Terror.... 8) :D
"In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty"

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:08 am

ZombicidalMan wrote:It'd be really awesome if they made a large watt amp, like the Rockerverb or Thunderverb etc., but with a Tiny Terror style casing. I for one would like to see this amp realized, has anyone else thought about it? It'd have to a cool alliterative name too, like True Terror, or Tiny Titan, Titanic Terror etc.
Hi ZombicidalMan. Welcome to the forum! :D

Trashed Terror more like... :shock:

Bigger valve amps like 100 waters are surprisingly heavy. Usually 20kg+ because of the heavy stuff like big transformers inside. Beyond a certain size they'd need to make a metal case much thicker and much heavier to be strong enough to prevent it from pretty quickly looking like recycled junk. And if strong enough to take the normal knocks a larger metal case would pretty quickly get hard to handle IMO.

Wood + tolex is well tried and tested for bigger heavier amps - it works! It isn't just the weight though. Rather importantly if you and a corner meet up unexpectedly it doesn't usually make a hole in you!

Teutonic Terror?
Titanic Tearer Terror more like. :roll:

Boring maybe, but 'fraid thats how I see it...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:35 am

A Monster terror???? the thing already exists, it's called the ORANGE TH100 :mrgreen:

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:20 am

Customshop Terror 30 please for the same price as the old TT HW :mrgreen:
Paul.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:16 pm

I personally don't like the metal lunchbox style of the Tiny Terror. But I do own a Tiny Terror 10" speaker combo that is brilliant. The Tiny Terror tone is wonderful.

I would love to see a 50 or 80 watt version in a big Orange tolexed wood casing, and keep the design the same, just Volume, Tone, and Gain knobs - nothing else. I'm sure there's not much market for that, and people are rightfully opinionated to say they've done that with the Thunderverb series, I just would prefer a single channel, Mid-Terror, or something.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

ZombicidalMan

Post by ZombicidalMan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:59 pm

Very good points, Andy. I admit my TT is pretty heavy for the size too - when you compare it with wood and tolex models of similar wattage. Still though, I do love the look. Guess I'll be on the lookout for any Dual Terrors and maybe a TH model! First I think a 4x12 is in order

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:40 pm

The OR50 sounds very much like a 50-watt Tiny Terror to my ears, and looks even more amazing. That's why I bought it, I guess.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:04 am

Randy Bass wrote:The OR50 sounds very much like a 50-watt Tiny Terror to my ears, and looks even more amazing. That's why I bought it, I guess.
I've always kind of imagined the OR50 this way. It's an amp I've actually never played in person, but I've listened to a lot out of curiosity. And from what I know of it, I always pretty much thought of it this way except maybe just a bit fuzzier when the gain gets higher (past 3 o'clock). I might be wrong though, you'd know better for sure actually owning the amp. Just out of curiosity, with both amps at the same volume would the TT or OR50 be fuzzier at 3 o'clock on gain in your opinion? No worries if you've never tested this, I'm just curious cause most of the demos I've heard lead me to that conclusion, but there's no substitute for playing the amp yourself! :)
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:06 pm

Yeah, I do remember the OR50 being similar. But I want a three-knob single channel 50 or 80 watter! :twisted:

A single channel TH50 or 100 would be sweet.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:59 pm

DiabloS wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:The OR50 sounds very much like a 50-watt Tiny Terror to my ears, and looks even more amazing. That's why I bought it, I guess.
I've always kind of imagined the OR50 this way. It's an amp I've actually never played in person, but I've listened to a lot out of curiosity. And from what I know of it, I always pretty much thought of it this way except maybe just a bit fuzzier when the gain gets higher (past 3 o'clock). I might be wrong though, you'd know better for sure actually owning the amp. Just out of curiosity, with both amps at the same volume would the TT or OR50 be fuzzier at 3 o'clock on gain in your opinion? No worries if you've never tested this, I'm just curious cause most of the demos I've heard lead me to that conclusion, but there's no substitute for playing the amp yourself! :)
I would say that the OR50 does have a bit more gain/fuzz on tap than the Tiny Terror. The OR50 feels a little more compressed.

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:44 pm

I am all for a monster anything

I do want a dual terror though, super lightweight and small for 30 watts of tubey goodness :mrgreen:
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS