Bad Cat Unleash anyone?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Bad Cat Unleash anyone?

Post by apocalypsedude » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:51 pm

Just found out about this bad boy:

http://www.thesignalrocks.com/bad-cat-unleash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not only is it an attenuator, but it has an effects loop, and supposedly turns any low watt amp into a 100 watter :shock:

Two footswitchable volumes too.... I can only imagine the benefits that this thing would have when coupled with a Rocker 30, if it does what it claims!

P.S. There's a video here:
http://www.badcatamps.com/unleash.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Bad Cat Unleash anyone?

Post by bclaire » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:13 am

I don't trust anything Badcat anymore since there's the American version and the import version which apparently has nothing to do with the actual Badcat company as far as I can tell....

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:11 am

It isn't an attenuator as such, but an attenuator + reamping device. Basically the thing will attenuate the whole signal and then feed it through to a 100W solid state amp which can take it back up to any level you want.

Despite what they say it isn't the first time this idea has been used. The 'Ultimate Attenuator' (which of course wasn't either ultimate or a true attenuator) did much the same thing. It was apparently a good sounding unit but the early ones at least weren't well engineered. Hopefully they sorted that before too many meltdowns!

The Bad Cat unit is probably a lot better built though.
bclaire wrote:I don't trust anything Badcat anymore since there's the American version and the import version which apparently has nothing to do with the actual Badcat company as far as I can tell....
Well I don't know which Bad Cat you are talking about Billy, but that can happen - two companies with the same name.

This company called Tecamp build TOP quality no compromise bass gear in Germany: http://www.tecamp.biz/en/products.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This piece of junk wasn't made by them though...
Image :roll:

The Badcat in discussion here is the company which Mark Sampson (formerly boss man at Matchless) started in 2000. Their amps are (according to their own website) all designed and made in California, US of A.
I've seen their build standards first hand and they are bomb proof, even down to details like locking double nuts on combos so they don't loosen off in use, that sort of overkill engineering. Superb!
And yes they do make the Unleash, it is on their website too, along with a big 'Made in USA' label on that page! :wink:
http://www.badcatamps.com/unleash.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've read one review of the unit which was pretty positive. Can't find it right now though and it was probably in Dutch anyway.

Now Orange, there is a company which would never ever put their name on imported goods, right...? :lol:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

enricoromanielo
Rocker

Post by enricoromanielo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:20 pm

Sorry to bring this topic back, but was just curious if anyone has tried it. I´ve read in TGP that some units were faulty, and Bad Cat was replacing them.

Did anyone try this with an Orange amp? Really interested in it - not just for the attenuation, but for the FX Loop. Think it would be a good match for the Rocker 30.

There are not many videos about the product on Youtube yet... Wonder if it is just because it´s a brand new unit...

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c
Rocker 30
Reeves Custom 10HG
Orange PPC212 OB
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster JA90
A few pedals

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:00 pm

bclaire wrote:I don't trust anything Badcat anymore since there's the American version and the import version which apparently has nothing to do with the actual Badcat company as far as I can tell....
I'm fairly certain it's still the same company. The CEO/President, John, posts pretty regularly over at TGP and I've read a few posts of his regarding the Cougar (import) series. Just a way to diversify the product line and get more units into the hands of players.

I would assume that's a little like Orange's strategy back in the mid 2000s. The Tiny Terror was a huge gateway amp (drug) for their English produced heads.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;