Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Rocker 30 combo vs Rockerverb 100 Mk II

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:01 am

TESLA_EL34 wrote:
Boy_Narf wrote:If it were me?

Rocker 30 no question. I retired my RV100 earlier this year. I will never get anything close to what I paid for it so it's sitting in the closet for now. I find the R30 superior in every aspect (less bass of course, but that is what bass players are for).

The only issue you might have is the lack of clean head room, but there are topics that teach you how to deal with that.
why do you think its superior?
Woops guess I missed this one :)

I have had the RV100 for a long time now and loved it at the beginning (my first real amp). I started to think that my cheap guitars were the issue. Unfortunately because of this amp I sold a guitar that I really regret selling. I just couldn't get any clarity out of the amp. So I sold the guitar and picked up something more expensive with different pickups (young and stupid). It sounded pretty much the same but I was blinded by new gear and ignored it. As time went on I expanded my guitar collection and discovered that the muddiness/dullness had nothing to do with any of my guitars. It was the amp the whole time. I didn't want to admit since it was so expensive but there you go. No matter what I do with that amp its just a mud festival. Yes I have tried different EQ settings, gain settings, tubes, and bias values, but it makes no difference. The second I got the Rocker 30 I was blown away. The difference in clarity is like night and day. Even at full gain I can hear all of the individual notes ring out. The worst part is that I will never get anywhere near what I paid for this thing. Even trying to trade it in for something of similar value is impossible. The offers I get from stores are under 50% what I paid for it, and it isn't much better privately.

It's not all bad however. My favorite tone on this thing is to max the master and use the gain as a volume knob. There are some really nice clean tones to be had before the distortion kicks in. It also has a ton of clean headroom (now that I actually know how to control a guitar pickup).

At any rate, I regret buying this amp every day. I figured the more cash I spend the better the tone will be. If I could do it again, I would get the R30 no question. For now I am hanging onto this amp and hoping it might appreciate in the next few years, or someone will want to trade it for an AD30HTC + cash (PM me if interested hahah).

I'm finished now :)