Confused. Orange pro XLR cables?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Confused. Orange pro XLR cables?

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu May 30, 2013 4:36 pm

Are all XLR to 1/4"? Why would they do this? I can't think there's a huge demand for an XLR to 1/4" except in some pretty special cases.

Can someone explain this to me? Am I missing something? Out of the many XLR cabes I have it has got to be a ration of 20 XLR-XLR to 1 XLR-1/4"
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Re: Confused. Orange pro XLR cables?

Post by OrangePaul » Thu May 30, 2013 6:02 pm

For use with a micophone into a jack input?
I'm sure there's other uses.

But yeah why would you normally unless it was just out of necessity..
Paul.

alexauxier
Forum Admin

Post by alexauxier » Thu May 30, 2013 6:35 pm

It is true that our speaker cables are either 1/4" to 1/4" - or - XLR to 1/4". We made the XLR to 1/4" cables mainly for our Terror Bass amps, which only have XLR outputs.
--
Alex Auxier
Orange Amps
Artist Relations Manager

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu May 30, 2013 10:18 pm

alexauxier wrote:It is true that our speaker cables are either 1/4" to 1/4" - or - XLR to 1/4". We made the XLR to 1/4" cables mainly for our Terror Bass amps, which only have XLR outputs.
I had to have my local shop make a custom XLR to 1/4" cable back when I got my TB500, so I can appreciate Orange now offering one. I kinda want one anyways, even though I got rid of the amp.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:28 pm

Randy Bass wrote:
alexauxier wrote:It is true that our speaker cables are either 1/4" to 1/4" - or - XLR to 1/4". We made the XLR to 1/4" cables mainly for our Terror Bass amps, which only have XLR outputs.
I had to have my local shop make a custom XLR to 1/4" cable back when I got my TB500, so I can appreciate Orange now offering one. I kinda want one anyways, even though I got rid of the amp.
Oooooohhhhh, That makes a lot more sense now. Since Orange didn't make an XLR-XLR I found a company via Amazon that sells orange colored mic cable, which I do use at gigs. It might look a little off but everyone know's what channel my vocals are before they ever get to the board. :lol:
Jake
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:06 pm

XLR is just so yesterday. 'Speakon' (by Neutrik) is the happening speaker connection. It is physically a very good connection system, and almost all manufacturers of higher powered bass amps are using Speakon connections now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakon_connector" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:28 pm

I was about to say, i've not come across an XLR amp-cab connection before in the guitar and bass world. 1/4" or Speakon only.

Seems like a curious choice for the speaker out, Alex...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:40 pm

The Terror Bass speaker outputs are Speakons though . . .

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:51 pm

I had to read Alex's post a few times. I think the direct out of the BT was xlr only, which would make some sense to have an xlr to 1/4"
Jake
"One of the 400"

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:52 am

Oops. My custom cable for the TB500 was a Speakon to 1/4" speaker cable. The XLR to 1/4" was for my V4 cab's "Cannon Jack".

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:14 am

so then, the XLR-1/4" is for balanced out to DI? do the speak-on jacks also accept 1/4" as an output?
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)