NSD: Electro-Voice SRO 15

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

NSD: Electro-Voice SRO 15

Post by Randy Bass » Thu May 16, 2013 12:52 am

I just picked up some SRO 15s that need to be reconed. These monsters were made in Buchanan, Michigan back in the 70's. They actually have a ceramic magnet under the huge bell cover (the 12" version had an Alnico magnet). I think they weigh over 20 pounds each. They are huge.

I am wondering if anyone has heard functioning ones before. I've never heard them, but I'm sure they will be suitable for vintage bass tonez. There's not much info about them on the interweb. Maybe I'll build the first Tiny Terror 2x15 combo 8) .

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Re: NSD: Electro-Voice SRO 15

Post by Neiloler » Thu May 16, 2013 5:41 am

That looks like some sort of sonic death tube! :)

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu May 16, 2013 7:17 pm

Neiloler wrote:That looks like some sort of sonic death tube! :)
I can only assume that they were developed in conjunction with an elaborate wolverine eradication program in some rural part of the Upper Peninsula. Wolverines eat entire animal carcasses including bones, you know :shock: .

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Thu May 16, 2013 7:57 pm

I would imagine being Electro Voice they will be pretty 'clean' sounding which should suit bass..

Oh btw welcome to the forum too :lol:

I don't think I've ever seen a thread started by Andy yet either! I'm sure he'll respond with a link to prove me wrong if one exists :D
Paul.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Thu May 16, 2013 8:27 pm

Randy those things look immense. All I can tell you in dead seriousness is that any vintage equiptment I have ever tried can be made to be incredible sounding, if you just find out what it "needs". Could a treatment during recording, or it could be the right guitar, or high volume, right room, effect, etc etc etc...We had an old Yamaha poweramp with a Leslie-style rotary in it from the '70s...was terrible for almost everything at non-deafening volumes...but cranked it caused a resonance within the cab that can only be described at a some kind of vortex through spacetime....recorded from about 5 feet away it was the most retro vibe I've ever heard...think opening riff from "My Friend Jack" or something. I also have a 15" JBL in my '74 Musicman HD130 that when cranked kicks out so much bass that it sounds like it's imploding....awesome. Have fun!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu May 16, 2013 8:52 pm

Dear Wendigo...
...that is very disturbing indeed. Keep up the good work! :lol:

Don't know those particular EVs at all RB, but big magnets usually mean very tight control of things, so they should sound awesome. If you can get them properly re-coned that is. Try somewhere like this and see if they have the right kits to do the job:
http://www.speakerrepair.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu May 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Do you need to wear a lead vest with those?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu May 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Jondog wrote:Do you need to wear a lead vest with those?
Hopefully not - my S&M Starter Kit only came with a leather vest. I may need to wear a cup though just in case the low frequencies are capable of inducing sterilization.

I have found a recone kit where the important bits (voice coil, spider, and cone) are preassembled so that novices can attempt the full recone themselves with a higher probability of success. If I send the speakers out for reconing, I'm sure I'll pay dearly for shipping. Either way, I'm looking forward to the bowel-shaking destruction that these suckers should deliver. They will probably get paired with my V4-B eventually.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri May 17, 2013 6:29 am

Glad to hear you got your kit. And for the speakers too!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!