Rocker 30 re-issue

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Rocker 30 re-issue

Post by Jondog » Sat May 11, 2013 2:55 am

The more I delve into Orange anp builds and trends, the less likely I see it to be re-issued. It's very unique compared to the rest if the line. Everything now seems to use the same skeleton, and veins, different muscle. Same PCB or circuit, transformers, power section, switches. TH30 uses the same as the dual terror. Terror series, #4 and OR15 same. Lots based off the Rockerverb. It would almost out of the way of the way things are to re-issue a cathode biased EL34 amp with a huge power transformer and 30 watt output transformer, 3 gain stages and single stage natural channel amp. There was nothing like it before it came , and there hasn't been anything like it since. Even the new OR amps aren't the same as the originals. I'd expect a reissue to look more like the TH30 with a full EQ, than the original. If they did reissue it, I hope to be amazed. I'm actually good with them not doing a reissue as I have one, but there's always been talk around here of confusion to why they discontinued it. I think it just doesn't fit their current production line.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Rocker 30 re-issue

Post by a.hun » Sat May 11, 2013 8:00 am

Bit of a James Dean of the amp world - went far too soon. I'm just glad they made it in the first place!

Love my R.30C dearly. For my own tastes / needs it is a near perfect Orange guitar amp. Yeah, unique design, and well named too. (Which is IMO why they should have called the subsequent Rockerverb amps something else - they aren't really very similar at all! :lol:)

I suspect a few years down the line there may be another Orange with the same name. Largely because of the continuing cult 'buzz' about them here and elsewhere. But if it doesn't have the same design it won't be a real Rocker reissue. A 'reissue' would need to be just that - an exact same circuit reissue. Frankly I don't see it happening either.

A Rocker Mk.2 could be interesting, but since there is so little I'd change on the amp myself it'd have to be just as well thought through as the original. And hopefully it'd have the same sort of pared down but effective design as the original. Simple effectiveness was the key. A Rocker '30 / 3 / 0.3 Classic Deluxe-o-dirt Plus' with 'hurt / kill / NUKE 'EM!' modes wouldn't have quite the same straight 'plug and destroy' appeal as the original!

Fair to say that it'll definitely go down as an Orange modern classic. (Already there? Probably!) Wonder just how many of the heads / combos Orange finally made in total? Enough anyway that there'll always be a few out there changing hands s/h and giving the curious a special little something to look forward to.

Yeah, if you've already got one it matters less if they reissue / update it or not. But it remains a bit of a mystery why such a great amp was pulled from the line. I guess it just made sense at the time (to Orange) to go for 'theme and variation' series amps. Pity one of the great characters had to go to make way for them... :?

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Dave666
Orange Hero

Post by Dave666 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:03 am

Why re-issue the Rocker30? I already got one!! :lol:
Orange Rocker30C loaded with a Creamback 65
Zilla Super Fatboy 2x12 loaded with Creamnback 65's
Gibson Flying-V - PRS Mira S2

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Sat May 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Yeah, that! :wink:

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sat May 11, 2013 12:38 pm

Dave666 wrote:Why re-issue the Rocker30? I already got one!! :lol:
Is that the Rocker 30 on your recordings? great sounds :)

My opinion is making a 30watt amp in the UK maybe just got too expensive for orange to produce. I know there's the AD30 but maybe they couldnt justify two UK built 30 watters?
Paul.

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Sat May 11, 2013 1:24 pm

It really is the enigma of the Orange line, hell the entire amp world. I have a buddy that has expensive taste in guitars and amps, he got Rockerverb 50, after playing my Rocker 30 because he thought it would be like the Rocker but with more features, and he still swears that my Rocker sounds a helluva lot better :twisted: My Rocker 30 just laughs at my bandmate's JCM 900 50 watter, makes it sound like a toy :lol: I've always thought it was more along the lines of a Fender Bassman that was modded for high gain, just an uncluttered, no frills circuit design. To find something comparable, you'd have to pay way more on the boutique market. I will never sell mine, fell in love with it again the other night at home, after being frustrated trying to get a good tone at a low volume level out of my 100 watt Ceriatone. Plugged straight into the Rocker 30 and was back in gain heaven. The Ceriatone is great when cranked up past noon, but by then its blowing the doors off and the neighbors are calling the cops! The Rocker 30 just sounds pissed off as soon as you flick the switch....at any volume, and it does it without any pedals.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

Dave666
Orange Hero

Post by Dave666 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:38 pm

OrangePaul wrote:
Dave666 wrote:Why re-issue the Rocker30? I already got one!! :lol:
Is that the Rocker 30 on your recordings? great sounds :)
Those songs were recorded with my old Marshall 2210, which is not longer in my possession.
Our next album will feature my Rocker30 which will be recorded next winter...
Orange Rocker30C loaded with a Creamback 65
Zilla Super Fatboy 2x12 loaded with Creamnback 65's
Gibson Flying-V - PRS Mira S2

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Post by Jabberwocky » Mon May 13, 2013 11:50 am

Like many other Rocker 30 owners on here, mine is a keeper. From the first moment I tried it in the shop (Head and 2 x 12) I was sold on it's tone, versatility, simplicity, sheer power, look and price, and the fact that it is very unforgiving of poor guitars and poor playing.
I too remain puzzled as to why it was pulled from the range, but I am guessing it is a combination of all the suggestions here plus perhaps a falling sales graph.

If there were to be a re-issue, and I agree with Jondog in that it is a big 'If', I don't think it will be any time soon. It's a classic to those who own one but whether it is perceived as a classic across the guitar world is another question. Maybe if more prominent guitar legends had used them they would have become more iconic, but I have not seen that many legends using the R30 (happy to stand corrected). Lots of ORs and ADs. Not many R30s.

As many on here have said, I don't care if they do re-issue. I have one! and when I am older and greyer and arthritis demands I stop playing, then that old R30 is likely to pull a good price !!
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:44 am

Jabberwocky wrote:Like many other Rocker 30 owners on here, mine is a keeper. From the first moment I tried it in the shop (Head and 2 x 12) I was sold on it's tone, versatility, simplicity, sheer power, look and price, and the fact that it is very unforgiving of poor guitars and poor playing.
I too remain puzzled as to why it was pulled from the range, but I am guessing it is a combination of all the suggestions here plus perhaps a falling sales graph.

If there were to be a re-issue, and I agree with Jondog in that it is a big 'If', I don't think it will be any time soon. It's a classic to those who own one but whether it is perceived as a classic across the guitar world is another question. Maybe if more prominent guitar legends had used them they would have become more iconic, but I have not seen that many legends using the R30 (happy to stand corrected). Lots of ORs and ADs. Not many R30s.

As many on here have said, I don't care if they do re-issue. I have one! and when I am older and greyer and arthritis demands I stop playing, then that old R30 is likely to pull a good price !!
I haven't seen lots of ORs....who are these players you speaketh of that use the OR? I am interested, as I have one.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Tue May 14, 2013 2:47 pm

One of the guys in the Dropkick Murphys has two Rocker 30 heads in his setup. Saw it on a Premier Guitar Rig Rundown.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992