NPD! (The Creamery Pickups)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jesperbc
Orange Hero

NPD! (The Creamery Pickups)

Post by jesperbc » Wed May 08, 2013 11:10 am

About a month ago I ordered a matched set of pickups from The Creamery in Manchester, and yesterday I brought my guitar home from Hansen Guitars in Stenstrup, who installed them for me. I bought a Classic '83 "Hair Metal" to replace an EMG-81 in the bridge and a Creamery '59 to replace an EMG-85 in the neck.

The standard 3-way switch was replaced with a 5-way switch, and the pick-ups were wired so that I can use each pick-up as a pair of parallel single coils.

Got into the rehearsal space, warmed up the tubes and plugged in. First strum = MIND BLOWN!

The note definition is fantastic, the clarity is great and they sound open and warm.

The Classic '83 has an output of 13.6k, slightly lower than the Seymour Duncan JB I have in another guitar, which I've often thought of as being too shrill or too hot. It has just the right amount of push to break up my Orange TH100 on the clean channel, and it has a really smooth sound, when played through my Tubescreamer. The parallel mode is like a hot single coil, with a little push breaking up the amp, while retaining clarity.

The Creamery '59 is just a really great, balanced sounding PAF-style humbucker, that really breathes through the clean channel. The parallel mode is like a really punchy single coil - I'm really in love with the sound in this mode - it's really inspiring.

I can absolutely recommend The Creamery, since Jaime will make any kind of pick-up you want, with a vast amount of costumization options.

Here are a couple of pictures:

Obligatory Instagram photo. :)

Gear: Orange Rocker 30 head, Orange TH100 head, Orange PPC212OB cab, pedals galore, Fender MIJ 52 RI Tele w. BKP Blackguard Flat '52s, Fender MIA Standard Strat w. Fender CS Fat '50s, ESP LTD MH-1000 w. BKP (AlNiCo) Nailbomb/VHII.

nedcronin
Rocker

Re: NPD! (The Creamery Pickups)

Post by nedcronin » Wed May 08, 2013 3:07 pm

Nothing like striking Gold on a pickup swap! Congrats! I bought an ESP Eclipse a few years ago, despite the EMG pickups as it was such a nice guitar. I immediately went with a set of Duncan 59's and ultimately replaced the bridge with a custom wound slightly hotter PAF. Glad you found a nice combo that works for you.