Guitars going out of tune

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

msmith4432
Orange Master

Guitars going out of tune

Post by msmith4432 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:02 pm

I have had the worst problem in the last 2 weeks with my guitars slipping out of tune. Live I typically play a Gibson LP standard as well as a gibson custom 57 vos. Both are staying in tune poorly and I have had both recently to the guitar tech for a set up. I know LPs are notorious for slipping out but this has been really frustrating. Maybe it's the humidity down here in South Lousisana wreaking havoc on my guitars, but has anybody else ever had a bout with this problem :?:
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Guitars going out of tune

Post by a.hun » Thu May 02, 2013 7:07 pm

New strings?

Properly stretched in?

Same gauge as before?

Nut lube needed?

What did the tech actually do? Any truss rod adjustments?

LPs needn't be any worse at staying in tune than most other guitars...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu May 02, 2013 7:24 pm

a.hun wrote:New strings?

Properly stretched in?

Same gauge as before?

Nut lube needed?

Andy.
^^^ This.

And if you think LPs are tough to keep in tune, try something with a Bigsby some time! :wink: I use nut lube for those pretty much every string change on a D, G strings and sometimes the high B/E.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu May 02, 2013 7:36 pm

Did you change string gauge?

Even staying with 10-46,say, different brands have different gauges for the in between strings?

My LP is VERY stable tuning wise.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:42 pm

Thank for the responses, no the string gauge stayed the same. The tech was suppose to do a full set up, adjust intonation. On my 57 he actually set it up twice because it was slipping out of tune and he did it a second time for free. Lube, I'll have to ask him if he tried it. Truss rod, maybe it needs checked but its weird that its both guitars.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

thelatrobe33
Tiny Terror

Post by thelatrobe33 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:14 pm

msmith4432 wrote:Thank for the responses, no the string gauge stayed the same. The tech was suppose to do a full set up, adjust intonation. On my 57 he actually set it up twice because it was slipping out of tune and he did it a second time for free. Lube, I'll have to ask him if he tried it. Truss rod, maybe it needs checked but its weird that its both guitars.
Is it possible your "tech" is a crook and doesn't know what he's doing? I've watched YouTube videos and done setups myself that were better than what some "experts" have done. I have a '77 LP and it has beautiful intonation. I don't think LPs are that unstable... SGs on the other hand :lol:
Dual Dark 50, Friedman Smallbox, '78 Twin Reverb, PPC412A, PPC212C

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Thu May 02, 2013 9:02 pm

a.hun wrote:New strings?

Properly stretched in?

Same gauge as before?

Nut lube needed?

Andy.

Jepp. My Les Pauls stay in tune great. I always did the setup myself and learned a lot about my guitars, wich helped me to evne play better. Try it, it's easy ;D

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Thu May 02, 2013 9:38 pm

Do you play them a lot other than live? I don't have a Les Paul, but I have an ESP Eclipse and was only playing it maybe once a week for a period of time, and every time I did it would slide out of tune. However, if I played it every day, it seemed to settle right in and become very stable. Maybe jam with them more prior to the gigs if you're only busting them out when you play live?

I also second the suggestions to set them up yourself, at least once. It's a really good feeling when you know what needs fixing and how to fix it!
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu May 02, 2013 11:02 pm

How do your nuts look? That's a very common problem with Gibsons. They don't cut the nuts well enough at the factory.

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Thu May 02, 2013 11:03 pm

My first thought would be the tuning pegs. How old are the ones on your guitars? I have a 92 SG Standard, got it brand new back in '92, around '98 or so it was slipping out of tune bad, could not keep the guitar in tune no matter what I did, drove me nuts. Put a set of Sperzel locking tuners on and never looked back. Did the same to a 93 Les Paul Standard as soon as I picked it up in 2000. Both guitars stay in tune extremely well ever since installing Sperzels. Now I also have a 2006 Les Paul Classic with the "green" Gibson Delux tuners that come stock, its my main gigging guitar now, I have had the guitar for a year and a half and haven't had any tuning problems YET. But usually on Gibsons its those stock tuning pegs that are the culprit. Heck any low end guitar that's made in China or Korea usually has tuning stability problems because one of the ways they cut costs is by using cheap tuners on em.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:42 pm

Invin wrote:Do you play them a lot other than live? I don't have a Les Paul, but I have an ESP Eclipse and was only playing it maybe once a week for a period of time, and every time I did it would slide out of tune. However, if I played it every day, it seemed to settle right in and become very stable. Maybe jam with them more prior to the gigs if you're only busting them out when you play live?

I also second the suggestions to set them up yourself, at least once. It's a really good feeling when you know what needs fixing and how to fix it!
Very good suggestion, I usually practice with another guitar. I don't think my tech is a crook because he has to keep setting it up for free over and over if I'm not happy. It's his stores policy. I don't know how to set up a guitar but I'm going to learn. A good friend of mine is a tech in Tennessee and I'm moving back there soon so I'm going to,get him to teach me
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Randy Bass wrote:How do your nuts look? That's a very common problem with Gibsons. They don't cut the nuts well enough at the factory.
Checked the nut today, put a little graphite in it, hope it helps
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Thu May 02, 2013 11:48 pm

Get your nuts lubed up I'd say :wink:

Or as Randy suggested you might want to get them looked at :mrgreen:

Seriously though I used to spend more time tuning my LP than playing it, until I started using pencil lead in there...
Paul.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:11 am

OrangePaul wrote:Get your nuts lubed up I'd say :wink:

Or as Randy suggested you might want to get them looked at :mrgreen:

Seriously though I used to spend more time tuning my LP than playing it, until I started using pencil lead in there...
So you just put some pencil lead in? I tried that tonight we will see if it works. Hope so :(
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:17 am

msmith4432 wrote:
Invin wrote:Do you play them a lot other than live? I don't have a Les Paul, but I have an ESP Eclipse and was only playing it maybe once a week for a period of time, and every time I did it would slide out of tune. However, if I played it every day, it seemed to settle right in and become very stable. Maybe jam with them more prior to the gigs if you're only busting them out when you play live?

Very good suggestion, I usually practice with another guitar. I don't think my tech is a crook because he has to keep setting it up for free over and over if I'm not happy. It's his stores policy. I don't know how to set up a guitar but I'm going to learn. A good friend of mine is a tech in Tennessee and I'm moving back there soon so I'm going to,get him to teach me
Where at in TN? That's where I live.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI