Guitars going out of tune

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Re: Guitars going out of tune

Post by Norrin Radd » Sun May 05, 2013 6:12 pm

IME, strings go out of tune from being OVER stretched when initially installed. A longh time ago a read about a method propsed by Bill Lawrence where he recommends putting a new set on (no stretching), tune up a half step from where you play (so F for most of us) and let the guitar sit overnight.

I have been using this method for about 4 years now and all issues I have had with tuning stability vanished. "POOF". I kid you not. This DOES work. The scientific explanation had a bunch of metallurgy and co-efficient stuff that was way beyond me. All I know is I follow the procedure and it works. And the strings last me longer. I just removed a set of Ernie Ball Cobalts I had on for 14 months (yeah - and I play about an hour a day 6 days a week). And they were still maintaining tuning - just ran out of "life". Plus, I wanted to clean the fingerboard. But I digress.

Point is - the method works! Give it try. :)
Greg

nedcronin
Rocker

Post by nedcronin » Sun May 05, 2013 8:49 pm

Hmm, tune up a half step and leave it overnight. It just can't work. Too logical, too easy!
I'm going to give this a try next time!

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Mon May 06, 2013 12:20 am

Certainly sounds like the logical way to stretch a string. Think I'll be giving this a try too.
Paul.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon May 06, 2013 1:16 am

I don't know if that works or not, but it only takes a few minutes to stretch a set of strings. I'd rather do that than wait all night

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon May 06, 2013 12:51 pm

Norrin Radd wrote:IME, strings go out of tune from being OVER stretched when initially installed. A longh time ago a read about a method propsed by Bill Lawrence where he recommends putting a new set on (no stretching), tune up a half step from where you play (so F for most of us) and let the guitar sit overnight.
If overstretched (or unevenly stretched along their length) the intonation can be totally shot and they'll never play true. That is definitely true.
Jondog wrote:I don't know if that works or not, but it only takes a few minutes to stretch a set of strings. I'd rather do that than wait all night.
Yeah, me too. I'd always rather slightly under stretch a string at first than over stretch it. Uneven or over stretching = bad intonation and usually a string which won't resonate right at the correct pitch and sounds bad too - nasty wolf tones, poor sustain. But with a little practice it is easy to get it spot on, and PDQ too.

The big disadvantage of deliberately over tuning a semi tone and letting them fall back to correct pitch is that it may well work well enough for some strings / gauges, but not for others. I see a real risk of over stretching some that way - it just isn't precise enough to cover all strings, even in the same set, simply because they don't all need the same amount of stretching!

That SECOND LINK from OrangePaul is well worth watching, but if you can't be bothered (why not?) he does pretty much exactly what I do:

For starters I don't hold with that 'just change strings one at a time' nonsense. :shock: Guitar necks are immensely strong and you won't damage them at all by removing all the strings at once, so I do exactly that. (Being careful with fall apart Gibson type bridges!)

When winding each new strings up to tension I keep tension on it with my other hand so the wraps round the tuner stay under tension. (Number of wraps isn't critical as long as the string is well locked to the tuning post with a sharp kink as he showed and the wraps stay under tension. I've just re-done several basses with just two full wraps. Two to four is plenty enough on any bass or guitar unless you really need the break angle from the nut, and yes to many can cause more stretching in problems.)

Using a tuner I'll get all the first string (low E) to correct pitch. Then I'll pull it up from the board moderately hard at a couple of points along it's length with my thumb and finger, stretching it above the nut too. It'll fall back below pitch, so I tune back up to pitch and do it again. (Just leave the tuner on, you are going to do this a few times! :wink:) As it drops less and less in pitch I'll stretch more gently because it is now getting there. When it stops falling below pitch with moderate to light stretching (both sides of the nut!) it is basically perfectly stretched in.

I'll get the first string to the point where it is only dropping very slightly in pitch, retune it to correct pitch and move to the next string, and do the exact same, then all the rest in turn. When each string is very nearly staying up to pitch I'll do a quick re-run of them all and get things spot on.

Haven't overstretched a string in years! :D

For me having the strings correctly stretched means that I can pull an instrument out of its case after some weeks and it'll either be bang in tune or just slightly out with all the strings evenly out in the same direction. (Usually slightly south, unless the weather has turned. And lightly south - due to being fractionally under stretched is better, you always want to tune up, not down. Either way a very quick tweak - if needed - and I'm sorted. Normal to hard playing won't put the guitar out of tune.)

Only normal strings I can't (well, don't dare to) stretch in totally within a couple of minutes are nylon ones. There everything is way more exaggerated: they take a lot more stretching (lengthwise), but at a lower tension, and it is much easier to wreck them. Uneven or over stretching = really bad intonation and usually a string which sounds really bad - nasty wolf tones, very poor sustain. Being impatient one time I thought I'd try deliberately overpitching them (a semitone) and see how that worked. It didn't, I had to replace the lot straight off! :(

Even with nylon strings though I can usually get it so that everything is staying pretty much bang on pretty fast. But again I'd always prefer them to be fractionally under than overstretched so I can simply tune slightly up to correct pitch when I next grab the guitar - done.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon May 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Jondog wrote:I wonder about the Kluson tuning keys on my Les Paul. This is my first Gibson Les Paul so I don't have much experience with them but I've heard and seen a lot of people who swap them out for Grovers or similar. Is it because they don't hold tune as well?
Don't think so, probably mainly just preference. Even fairly cheap and nasty tuners, unless actually slipping, can hold pitch well. Nice ones are just smoother and easier to tune. Honestly, tuners themselves hardly ever cause guitars to go out of tune.

In my experience if the strings are properly (correctly) stretched in, the other main thing on a fixed bridge guitar which can cause tuning problems is a sticky or badly cut nut.
Borderline Productions wrote:...changing gauges may mean changing nuts.
Shouldn't! :shock:

If moving up in gauge the slots may need widened fractionally. But a correctly cut nut has U shaped slots, and with the bottoms correctly rounded thinner gauge strings will always stay properly centered through the string tension. You don't need side of slot contact. Stronger still you don't actually WANT side of slot contact because you don't want any friction there! If you look at how Gibson normally cut nuts (as opposed to Fender say) only the bottom half of the string actually sits inside the nut. That's okay. So is having a nut much higher than the strings. As long as the sides aren't gripping the strings it makes no difference. The reason Fender cut them deeper is to prevent the strings jumping out. They don't have the big 'Gibson' headstock back angle to keep them all there.
Good info in this short thread on CUTTING NUTS.

Pencil 'graphite' is exactly what I use on my nuts. Keeps them smooth, comfy and grab free. Ooh er, missus! :wink:

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:13 am

this has been a great thread........I learned a lot about re-stringing and am going to try out a couple of these methods and see if helps me restring quicker and stay in tune better. I have trouble with the dreaded G string on my SG most often. I believe I need my nut dressed up a bit as well as using some better technique on wrapping/locking on the peg when I restring.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:07 pm

Just wanted to resurrect this thread from a "little" while ago. I have been using the Bill Lawrence method I described above since I posted that response. I have used gauges from 9s to 11s (and everything in-between) and the method has been successful and ludicrously consistent. I just don't have string tuning issues anymore. Period

Oh yeah - they may go slightly out of tune with changes in temp and humidity as the weather/meteorological conditions change inside and out, but that is about it. And they only require very minor tuning adjustments throughout their lifetime. I've been using EBMM cobalt strings, partially due to a nickel sensitivity and partially due to the fact that they sound great, and a set lasts me 6-8 months. You fellas can use whatever method you want to stretch strings - but I've found mine!

Who said they can't wait overnight? Doesn't everyone on this forum have more than one guitar??? :twisted:
Greg

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:53 pm

Heck of a necrobump!

My guitars barely stay in tune for a minute. Always been a problem with me. I just play too hard. If I'm recording I make an effort to play as soft as possible while retaining an aggressive attack. Even my glorious telecaster that can sit in the case for 6 months and still be in tune is no match for my angry fingers. I've accepted it at this point, and tune as much as possible (even mid song if I have time). I haven't heard of the "tune up to F" trick, but I will defiantly try this next time I change my strings.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:42 am

Norrin Radd wrote:IME, strings go out of tune from being OVER stretched when initially installed. A longh time ago a read about a method propsed by Bill Lawrence where he recommends putting a new set on (no stretching), tune up a half step from where you play (so F for most of us) and let the guitar sit overnight.

I have been using this method for about 4 years now and all issues I have had with tuning stability vanished. "POOF". I kid you not. This DOES work. The scientific explanation had a bunch of metallurgy and co-efficient stuff that was way beyond me. All I know is I follow the procedure and it works. And the strings last me longer. I just removed a set of Ernie Ball Cobalts I had on for 14 months (yeah - and I play about an hour a day 6 days a week). And they were still maintaining tuning - just ran out of "life". Plus, I wanted to clean the fingerboard. But I digress.

Point is - the method works! Give it try. :)
Interesting, never heard of that method but I'll give it a go.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:20 pm

Wow, old thread, boy a lot has happened since I started this thread, for one I moved 2 and now I'm in Cleveland Ohio and not Baton Rouge La
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:27 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:Heck of a necrobump!

My guitars barely stay in tune for a minute. Always been a problem with me. I just play too hard.
I suspect that either...
1. You aren't stretching them in right from the start or
2. you aren't winding them neatly under tension downwards on the tuning post or
3. Your nut isn't lubed (or maybe isn't properly cut), causing the strings to stick.
Problems staying in tune (however hard you play!) are usually one or more of these.

I see I've covered all those in more detail on posts above, so have a wee read back and / or just watch the video mentioned:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That shows exactly how to wind the string on under tension, (see how he holds the string tension above the fretboard with spare fingers), and to stretch it in by pulling up and retuning, repeating this until it doesn't drop any further. Get all those right and any decent hardtail guitar (or well set up 'trem' guitar) should stay in tune just fine from the start. I can restring and have a guitar or bass stable in a few minutes total. One string takes maybe a minute.

Break a string at a gig though and 'overnight' is no damn use to anyone... :lol:

Andy.

MikeD
Orange Expert

Post by MikeD » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:08 am

a.hun wrote:

3. Your nut isn't lubed

Andy.
....gets me every time!!! :lol:
Gibson: Angus Young SG 03 / LP Standard 05 / Firebird V 01
Orange: RV50 mkII & ppc212-c / Micro Dark & ppc112 / TH30 Combo

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:17 pm

for the LP agreed its all about the nut.. and big bends nut sauce it is..

but.. why is almond milk called almond milk?...because it wouldn't sell if it was called nut juice..
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:31 pm

Well I've always had problems with my guitars staying in tune. Have about a dozen right now, and it's always the same. My main ones have all visited a luthier, and had nuts re-cut. I also started with the "Martin Style" string locking on the post. Well I learned it from a Martin video, doubt they invented it.

Always have trouble with my acoustic going out of tune as well, but I hammer on that thing. Heavy right hand.

I'll also lube up the nut with a pencil from time to time.

I'm defiantly used to tuning my guitars after every song at this point. Doesn't help that my main guitar is an LPJ, which has questionable intonation in the first place.

:)