Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

msmith4432
Orange Master

Re: Guitars going out of tune

Post by msmith4432 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:22 am

ironlung40 wrote:
msmith4432 wrote:
Invin wrote:Do you play them a lot other than live? I don't have a Les Paul, but I have an ESP Eclipse and was only playing it maybe once a week for a period of time, and every time I did it would slide out of tune. However, if I played it every day, it seemed to settle right in and become very stable. Maybe jam with them more prior to the gigs if you're only busting them out when you play live?

I also second the suggestions to set them up yourself, at least once. It's a really good feeling when you know what needs fixing and how to fix it!
Very good suggestion, I usually practice with another guitar. I don't think my tech is a crook because he has to keep setting it up for free over and over if I'm not happy. It's his stores policy. I don't know how to set up a guitar but I'm going to learn. A good friend of mine is a tech in Tennessee and I'm moving back there soon so I'm going to,get him to teach me
Where at in TN? That's where I live.
Cleveland
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Fri May 03, 2013 5:45 am

msmith4432 wrote:
Cleveland
Does it rock there?
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Fri May 03, 2013 6:55 am

On LP or SG, the secret for tuning stability is..... the NUT.
It has to be adapted to your string gauge, and the angles have to be smooth.
My LP that have been my main guitar for years was fitted with a graphtech nut (the material is kind of autolube).
Now on short scale guitars like Gibson, the best tunning stability is obtained with a consequent string gauge (10-52 is my choice).

Janglin_Jack
Orange Hero

Post by Janglin_Jack » Fri May 03, 2013 7:15 am

Most tuning problems are from the nut. I have a les Paul that binds at the nut. Maybe the nut should be filed a bit.
"...weak with evil and broken by the world."

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri May 03, 2013 3:11 pm

msmith4432 wrote:
OrangePaul wrote:Get your nuts lubed up I'd say :wink:

Or as Randy suggested you might want to get them looked at :mrgreen:

Seriously though I used to spend more time tuning my LP than playing it, until I started using pencil lead in there...
So you just put some pencil lead in? I tried that tonight we will see if it works. Hope so :(
I use this method here using just a sharpened pencil...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sAQcAlAeKU

For wrapping strings tho I think this guy has one the best quick methods...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc

Notice how he picks up the guitar before he's even began wrapping the string :)

The guy on the first vid is also putting a twist in the string by wrapping it over the tuning post like that. I was always told by my old guitar tech that is bad news, as you are actually putting a kink or twist in the string along its length...
Paul.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri May 03, 2013 3:22 pm

I wouldn't recommend that method at all, I think that more than one wrap around the string is begging for trouble. The idea is that you want to pre-stretch out all the string you can, and it's very hard to stretch out string wrapped around the tuner post. It slowly stretches out over the entire time it's on the guitar, so it doesn't ever find a resting position.

I use this method, then go through and manually stretch out the string inch my inch over the entire length of the string. I also put pencil lead in the nut slots. As long as the nut is cut correctly, I've never had trouble with tuning this way.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri May 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Neiloler wrote:I wouldn't recommend that method at all, I think that more than one wrap around the string is begging for trouble. The idea is that you want to pre-stretch out all the string you can, and it's very hard to stretch out string wrapped around the tuner post. It slowly stretches out over the entire time it's on the guitar, so it doesn't ever find a resting position.

I use this method, then go through and manually stretch out the string inch my inch over the entire length of the string. I also put pencil lead in the nut slots. As long as the nut is cut correctly, I've never had trouble with tuning this way.

Yeah I've used this method too Neil. I think most gibsons from the factory come wound like this but with about 3 wraps on. I've never tried it with a single wrap though.
Paul.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:39 pm

Thanks for all the help, not go to my rockerverb post and help me get it up and going again
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri May 03, 2013 6:25 pm

Now that I own a Les Paul and mainly owning fenders my whole life, I notice it goes out of tune alot easier with weather changes.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Fri May 03, 2013 6:45 pm

I use the same method as Neil when putting on new strings.

I just think there is something perverse when talking about "nut lube."

I find I have to play a guitar hard for several days to stretch the strings out. Also heavier strings tend to stay in tune better, but changing gauges may mean changing nuts.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nedcronin
Rocker

Post by nedcronin » Fri May 03, 2013 9:15 pm

Big Bends nut sauce is a good lube for nuts. But this is a timely post for me, I always use Ernie Ball normal slinkys. I buy them 10-12 sets at a time. Anyway I put a new set on my strat last week and these don't want to stay in tune. I'm wondering if its possible that I have a bad set? These may be a couple years old, as I usually throw the leftover packs in with the new ones. Has his ever happened to any of you guys?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat May 04, 2013 10:42 am

a.hun wrote:Properly stretched in?
Didn't see an answer on that yet. If they aren't stretched in properly they'll never stay in tune however smooth the nut is...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat May 04, 2013 1:29 pm

I wonder about the Kluson tuning keys on my Les Paul. This is my first Gibson Les Paul so I don't have much experience with them but I've heard and seen a lot of people who swap them out for Grovers or similar. Is it because they don't hold tune as well?

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun May 05, 2013 11:00 am

nedcronin wrote:Big Bends nut sauce is a good lube for nuts. But this is a timely post for me, I always use Ernie Ball normal slinkys. I buy them 10-12 sets at a time. Anyway I put a new set on my strat last week and these don't want to stay in tune. I'm wondering if its possible that I have a bad set? These may be a couple years old, as I usually throw the leftover packs in with the new ones. Has his ever happened to any of you guys?
This is something I've wondered too when I had a dud G string in a pack of Dean Markleys which I'd had nearly a year before opening..
Jondog wrote:I wonder about the Kluson tuning keys on my Les Paul. This is my first Gibson Les Paul so I don't have much experience with them but I've heard and seen a lot of people who swap them out for Grovers or similar. Is it because they don't hold tune as well?
I'm pretty sure it's to do with the increased angle of the headstock on Gibsons causing tension differences either side of the nut which inturn I guess could makes the wraps on the tuners more susceptible too..
Paul.

msmith4432
Orange Master

Post by msmith4432 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:54 am

a.hun wrote:
a.hun wrote:Properly stretched in?
Didn't see an answer on that yet. If they aren't stretched in properly they'll never stay in tune however smooth the nut is...

Andy.
Yes they were, I changed strings again on my standard and its doing better, not where I want it but better
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc