What's on you pedalboard and what do you use it for?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: What's on you pedalboard and what do you use it for?

Post by Jondog » Wed May 01, 2013 4:26 pm

dbsens03 wrote:
Jondog wrote:Crybaby 535q-wah sounds
BB preamp- boost/drive
Fuzz factory clone-fuzz
EP booster- boost
POG 2- octaves
Strymon Möbius- phase,vibe,tremolo,chorus,flanger, rotary, filters, strangeness
Strymon Timeline-delay
Boss Fender 63 spring reverb-reverb
Tone Jones double looper- double effect loop /amp channel select
Use them for everything they're called for really, mostly experimenting and adding texture. Not prepared to part with my Strymons and POG 2. Love them a lot. If I could improve one it would be to add midi to the POG for switching presets. As I've reached my 30s I've noticed my eyesight going and I can't read what preset the LEDs are on! :(
Have you checked out the new EHX HOG2? You can get an additional food controller for up to 100 presets and it comes with an expression pedal, but from the looks of it, it does a lot of the stuff that the pog series does and a lot more. great for ambience and adding texture.
You $&@#%*$&!!!! Just kidding. But I just finished ordering and paying for one. Guess the Pog2 goes up for sale now....damn gas.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed May 01, 2013 7:38 pm

Jondog wrote:
dbsens03 wrote:
Jondog wrote:Crybaby 535q-wah sounds
BB preamp- boost/drive
Fuzz factory clone-fuzz
EP booster- boost
POG 2- octaves
Strymon Möbius- phase,vibe,tremolo,chorus,flanger, rotary, filters, strangeness
Strymon Timeline-delay
Boss Fender 63 spring reverb-reverb
Tone Jones double looper- double effect loop /amp channel select
Use them for everything they're called for really, mostly experimenting and adding texture. Not prepared to part with my Strymons and POG 2. Love them a lot. If I could improve one it would be to add midi to the POG for switching presets. As I've reached my 30s I've noticed my eyesight going and I can't read what preset the LEDs are on! :(
Have you checked out the new EHX HOG2? You can get an additional food controller for up to 100 presets and it comes with an expression pedal, but from the looks of it, it does a lot of the stuff that the pog series does and a lot more. great for ambience and adding texture.
You $&@#%*$&!!!! Just kidding. But I just finished ordering and paying for one. Guess the Pog2 goes up for sale now....damn gas.

ah! Yeap, that thread ain't doing much good to my GAS either!!!

I need to shift my ad5 so i can get your POG2..... ;)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed May 01, 2013 8:49 pm

I should have all I need now. I like the fact it has an expression pedal. I've been kinda missing my Whammy pedal and was thinking of getting one. Now I have a whammy pedal and POG all in one box., and then some. Might have to add a midi controller as the Strymon Timeline, Mobius and the hog all have midi capabilitity. My rig keeps getting simpler yet more versatile and complex all the time it seems. More functions/sounds, less boxes.
Just got an email from the shop I ordered the HOG2 from, they don't have any stock except the floor model and are giving me 10% off. Bonus!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed May 01, 2013 11:32 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
bclaire wrote:I have the TC Electronics G-System - all self-contained...

but I have a stick-on clock on it so I can time sets and just generally check on the time. Everyone should have one!
How do you feel that multi effect compares to individual quality pedals? It's expensive, but actually quite cheap compared to a few boutique pedals.
Sorry - I got lost in all the replies.

It's really world-class effects. I pretty much get anything I want out of it and sometimes I go spelunking in the other presets and find stuff.

It's a real pain to program though and the manual has some wrong info in it... so if I wanted to add/ change anything right now, it would be necessary to relearn how to do it.

Just for reference, I have programmed a combo delay and reverb; flange; deeper echo; octave low; some choruses and other mods; an auto-wah that I never use; a compressor; longer echoes; deeper reverb; slapback echo; a tremolo effect; and a bunch of others I forget. Also, some of them are duplicated in conjunction with channel switching to channel two on my AD30TC. Oh, and a NoveDrive distortion pedal in one of the loops that i can switch in and out.

But it's still missing a clock. :mrgreen:

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed May 01, 2013 11:36 pm

I just realised I should go to their website and see if there is an updated manual. That would be WICKED SMAHT (Boston accent) on my part.

(For the record I don't really have a Boston accent....)

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:52 am

bclaire wrote:I just realised I should go to their website and see if there is an updated manual. That would be WICKED SMAHT (Boston accent) on my part.

(For the record I don't really have a Boston accent....)
I read the White Paper and use the Vyzor editor. Took me an hour to program our 11 song set list into it. Seems to work pretty well but I need to sit down with the White Paper again and figure out how to tweak the global settings better.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Thu May 02, 2013 6:57 am

the big problem with effect pedals is the setup is fixed. I like to have the choice of different chorux setting& delay setting without turning knobs between songs.

That's why I like multieffect with a midi controller, and the pedalboard resume to the minimum. Volume pedal, wah, tuner, graphiq eq (not used ofetn), a distortion pedal (barely used).

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Thu May 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Last weekends version of my board - 2x Fuzz, 2x Delay, Tuner, Tremolo, POG2, Volume pedal.

Tuner, Vol.pedal and Tremolo are selfexplenatory.

- Fuzzfactory is for gated, punchy, nasty fuzz.
- Behringer Overdrive is for fat, bassy fuzz.
- Marshall Delay is to split the signal to two amps and give it a big echo with some tapee like modulation.
- DD7 is for slapback or solodelays.

The board changesall the time though, because I play in more than one band and need different sounds. But the DD7, volpedal, tuner and tremolo never leave.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:18 am

Update to mine:

My setup has now been finalised as:

TC Electronic G System

2 x Boss FV500H expression pedals (1 global volume, 1 whammy/wah/mod etc)

G System Loops:

1. Pro Co White Face Rat Reissue
2. Jam Pedals Rattler
3. Mojo Hand FX Iron BeLL #001
4. Paul Cochrane Timmy

The G System runs directly into the Normal Input of my Hiwatt DR103 but I am considering grabbing a Y-Cable to run into the Bright and Normal (kind of false stereo).

That's about all I need to get every sound I could probably imagine.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri May 03, 2013 4:03 am

POG2 sold, HOG2 en route

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Fri May 03, 2013 8:56 pm

OU818 wrote:Update to mine:

My setup has now been finalised as:

TC Electronic G System

2 x Boss FV500H expression pedals (1 global volume, 1 whammy/wah/mod etc)

G System Loops:

1. Pro Co White Face Rat Reissue
2. Jam Pedals Rattler
3. Mojo Hand FX Iron BeLL #001
4. Paul Cochrane Timmy

The G System runs directly into the Normal Input of my Hiwatt DR103 but I am considering grabbing a Y-Cable to run into the Bright and Normal (kind of false stereo).

That's about all I need to get every sound I could probably imagine.
How do you like the Iron Bell? Very tempting but I don't want just another muff clone. Was trying to decide between the Iron Bell or the Musket Fuzz.

ryanmaiden

Post by ryanmaiden » Sat May 04, 2013 11:27 pm

Just finished my "smart" pedalboard. I designed and built a software controlled loop switcher, which switches the effects pedals in/out of my signal chain using relays. The brain is a PICAXE microcontroller which is really easy to program and integrate into circuits. It works a bit like a multi-effects unit, I have 4 presets per bank (in some cases 5 where I've done some toggle functions in the software) so one button push switches in or out any/all of the effects and also the channel and custom boost circuit on my TH30.

The pedal with the waveforms on it is a vintage Phase 45 clone, and the blue one is a green russian BIg Muff clone.
P.S. the Joyo is awesome, everyone should get one.

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Sun May 05, 2013 11:08 am

hitgar wrote:Polytune - The secrete to my sound. (have to stay in tune you know)

Behringer Ultra Shifter Harmonizer- only on the board when recording bass lines on guitar

Blackout Effectors Fix'd Fuzz - Used mostly with the bloom and shade switches on as an
OD/colour boost

Black Arts Toneworks Black Forrest OD - Main OD used on both clean and OD amp settings.

Tech 21 Blonde - Used as a clean channel (through the OR15) by setting drive and vol virtually off.

Line 6 M9 - Used through the fx loop mostly for delay, reverb, phaser, and experimenting both with
sounds and with the looper for writing purposes
Update: Pigtronix envelope phaser en route. This way I can use the M9 for what it does best, 6 "ready to go" delay/reverb presets and looper.

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Sun May 05, 2013 8:20 pm

Guitar > wah > "tuna" > OD > Organizer > noise gate > amp

FX loop: phaser > reverb > EQ > Ditto

I just got the Monster patch cables, and they're super stiff with long solid ends which presented some challenges. For example, if you connect one to the input on an MXR pedal, you have to point the cable up or it covers the power socket on the pedal and no amount of bending will help. The cables are so stiff it's near impossible to have one end facing one way and the other opposite, because the cable in between just won't twist that way without sticking straight up in the air. It's hard to describe until you try to work with them, but wow, it was a tricky business rearranging my board with them in a usable manner.

A couple reasons for the layout:

Pedals I switch on/off the most are in the front (looper, reverb, phaser, wah) and stuff I don't want to hit accidentally is in the back. It's particularly important to have a lot of space above the Cathedral, because if you bump that white knob the slightest bit it'll completely change your reverb to another type and suddenly you're playing in... well, a cathedral. You definitely don't want to be doing the delicate tapdance of turning that knob counter-clockwise one tiny tick and then pressing down on it to get your preset without nudging it back off the spot again while playing live :lol:

The wah is the free-sitting EHX Crying Tone, and the Monster cables actually come in handy there because they're so stiff they hold it in place for me haha. I like having lots of space above it so I can still switch it on and off easily when I'm wearing shoes without catching my toe on another pedal.
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Wed May 08, 2013 1:56 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:It's all about the mid hump.......

Oh yeah, and being in tune.
I can't believe this joke is still running around here :lol:

My board:

Turbo Tuner
MXR Micro Amp
CAE MC404 wah
Big Muff Pi NYC
Box of Rock

Loop:
Deluxe Memory Boy
Boss Looper pedal (forget which one, it has two stomp pads)

I use it for alternative rock music. With some spaced out/fuzzed out ambience mixed in there. I could probably get rid of the micro amp and add a rat or some other distortion instead.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.