RV100 Humming a lot on Dirty Channel

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

RV100 Humming a lot on Dirty Channel

Post by Alex Sheeny » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:56 pm

Well, the title explains the post itself.

It's been like almost a year since I bought this RV and because it was shipped overseas through USPS, i thought since the beginning this amp had some issues like the clean channel volume knob and treble knob scratching and the volume having a real bump from 0 to 1. And now the Dirty channel hums a LOT when I push the gain a bit further from 1:00.

I'm already looking forward a tech to take a look at it, but it seems a hard task to find one in my city. The question here is: does anyone here ever had any humming issues like that? Is this something I could fix myself?

Thanks!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: RV100 Humming a lot on Dirty Channel

Post by Jondog » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:06 pm

A simple thing to try is spraying contact cleaner or deoxit in the pots. Preferably the deoxit because it'll lubricate them as we'll as clean them. Possible your tubes need changing?
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1602/.f

Alex Sheeny
Rocker

Post by Alex Sheeny » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:49 pm

Is there any way to know if the tubes need to be replaced? (besides the orange tube tester hahahah)

Zachohh
Rocker

Post by Zachohh » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:28 pm

I think usually if a tube or done of the tubes were out, the LEDs would be on on the back, and it would be noticeably less loud. I think. Haha. It hasn't happened to me yet with my rv100... But that's what I've garhered from reading the forum.

Anyways, another thing to try would guitars. Have you tried playing with more than one guitar? When I was picking up my rv, I tried 5 or so guitars and half of them just buzzed really bad on the dirty channel. Also if you're playing fairly loud and sitting close to the amp with the pickups facing it, that could do it too.

Hope you get it figured out!
Orange Rockerverb 100
Vox AD120VTH w/ AD212
Gibson Firebird V
Fender Telecaster
Seagull and Ovation Acoustic Electrics

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:16 pm

Zachohh wrote:I think usually if a tube or done of the tubes were out, the LEDs would be on on the back, and it would be noticeably less loud. I think. Haha. It hasn't happened to me yet with my rv100... But that's what I've garhered from reading the forum.

Anyways, another thing to try would guitars. Have you tried playing with more than one guitar? When I was picking up my rv, I tried 5 or so guitars and half of them just buzzed really bad on the dirty channel. Also if you're playing fairly loud and sitting close to the amp with the pickups facing it, that could do it too.

The LEDs are only for the power tubes. The dirty channel is the one humming when the gain is pushed up higher so I was talking about the dirty channel preamp tubes. Tubes would not cause the pots to be scratchy when turned. The volume can jump suddenly when the pot is dirty as the wipers may not be making full contact.

Zachohh
Rocker

Post by Zachohh » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:02 am

Jondog wrote:
Zachohh wrote:I think usually if a tube or done of the tubes were out, the LEDs would be on on the back, and it would be noticeably less loud. I think. Haha. It hasn't happened to me yet with my rv100... But that's what I've garhered from reading the forum.

The LEDs are only for the power tubes. The dirty channel is the one humming when the gain is pushed up higher so I was talking about the dirty channel preamp tubes. Tubes would not cause the pots to be scratchy when turned. The volume can jump suddenly when the pot is dirty as the wipers may not be making full contact.

Oh good to know! Thanks for clearing that up for me about the LEDs!
Orange Rockerverb 100
Vox AD120VTH w/ AD212
Gibson Firebird V
Fender Telecaster
Seagull and Ovation Acoustic Electrics

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:56 am

A faulty tube could let be part of the problem. ...especially if you still have the stock chinese pre amp tubes. I personally would change these asap for either tungsol or Ehx

You could try a visual check of the tubes ...any discolouring or flaky bits inside the tubes for example

and you could swap round the clean channel preamp tubes with the dirty channel preamp tubes. If this sorts the hummimg you know the problem is one of the dirty channel Pre Amp tubes.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30