DT
38%
OR15
62%

Total votes: 13

akadrg84

Re: Or15 Vs. Dual Terror

Post by akadrg84 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:37 pm

I love my OR15. I usually start with Gain at 12 O'clock and Volume at 12, depending on the pickups. When I play in my 40's Swing band I may roll gain back to 9 o'clock with the volume up to 3 o'clock. I use Gretch filltronic style pickups, or lower output PAFs. I also find it really likes single coil pickups like in my American Strat or the single coil dream pickups I put in my Wolfgang. It is very sensitive to pickup Output when you are trying to achieve a clean tone. I usually play clean at 2-6 on the guitar volume and roll on to taste for leads. Depending on the guitar/pickup combination that I use I set the maximum volume on the guitar to match the maximum amount of distortion I need, and roll back for the cleaner passages. I like that the OR15 cleans up without too dramatic of a volume drop. If I was needing a mixture of distortion and clean that was more than could be obtained with the use of the volume control on the guitar I would use two OR15 heads and an amp switcher. The OR15 is real picky on the types of pickups used and the types of speaker cabinets. I have a Reverend open back 2X12 that I love the size of, but the Jensen neo speakers are too bright for me. I have a Marshall 1X12 16 ohm speaker with a greenback that sounds wonderful. I have a Mesa 1X12 Lone star Special cab with a Celestion V30 that sounds great. Some Marshall 4X12 Cabinets sound muddy, but I have one that sounds great. I haven't opened the Marshall cabs up to know what speakers are in the cabs that sound good and bad. (Too Lazy for now). I have a custom made 2X12 Slant cabinet mounted horizontally that sounds great with 1 greenback and 1 vintage 30. My Lonestar 4X10 does not sound as well as I had hoped it would, might need a tone knob tweek. I would recommend not giving up on the amp if you get a speaker combination you do not like. If you are going to purchase one and only have one or two guitars make sure you play them through it as not all guitars sound good with that amp. Only 1/2 of the guitars I own sound good through it. The ones that sound good however sound great. I know that this might sound stupid to many, but I like the OR more for the clean tones that it provides. It kinda reminds me of the cleans from a Fender Twin at volumes that are a little too loud to use in a small venue setting. This amp can very effectively be tweaked with gain control volume control settings that will fit a lot of playing styles. When I say only half my guitars sound good through it I am referring to getting both a high gain and clean tones. They all sound great with higher gain tones. I hope that some of my rambling helps others appreciate their OR15.