Tone Test: Graveyard Content

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:39 am

Which lead tone do you like better out of the videos?

#1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stgdI3jiFEo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LClkryoQ ... MQyhxqeINC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He is using different heads in each vid as well.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

hitgar
Orange Hero

Re: Tone Test: Graveyard Content

Post by hitgar » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:28 pm

Looks like an ad30htc in the first vid and a RV mic'd in the second (2:31). There are also marshalls behind him so idk if they are blended or what.

I love the sound of the ad30 when its cranked into fuzziness but I do like the classic sound of the second clip as well. I guess if you sound good then you sound good.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:23 pm

He is actually playing a rockerverb on the 1st one and a hiwatt custom 100 on the second.

I am referring to the guitar player on the stage left.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:49 pm

hmm. i didn't take a look at the amps (except i obviously saw that #1 is an orange of some kind), but #1 is definitely more distorted and compressed...way more agressive. it also fits really well when the guitarist pulls back into rhythm. #2 is more focused and mid heavy, and a lot less gain.

if i could venture a guess...AD30 and OR120?

EDIT: oh wow, i was way off on the first one! i guess on the second one too, but that doesn't surprise me.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:52 pm

No, the lead player is playing a RV100 in the first video and a Hiwatt Custom 100 in the second.

I'm after which tone you all like the most between the 2 clips rather than what kind of amp they are.

both sound great to my ears, but I feel like I'm leaning torward the RV100 only judging on these clips.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

thelatrobe33
Tiny Terror

Post by thelatrobe33 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:52 pm

I like the RV100 tone better. It's way creamier. The Hiwatt sounds quite thin to me. Cool jams also... reminds me of Jethro Tull for some reason 8)
Dual Dark 50, Friedman Smallbox, '78 Twin Reverb, PPC412A, PPC212C

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:37 pm

loudness always sounds better in a mix

the tone on the left speaker rockerverb sounds louder and better to me than the right speaker ad30 sounds. but more or less they are similar toneprints for portions of the song and I would not be able to tell them apart.
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:47 pm

The first video won't play for me, but I find the sound a bit too clean on "As Years Pass By" compared to the studio version. It's an awesome song though. I'm sure I would like the Hiwatt better with a bit more gain, though I expect that I would still prefer the RV100 over it.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:01 am

Randy Bass wrote:The first video won't play for me, but I find the sound a bit too clean on "As Years Pass By" compared to the studio version. It's an awesome song though. I'm sure I would like the Hiwatt better with a bit more gain, though I expect that I would still prefer the RV100 over it.

Randy,

Look up Graveyard Buying Truth Live from Bonnaroo 2011

that is the first one that won't load for you and the one with the rockerverb in it.

For the other comments, the AD amp on the right is an AD140HTC.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:38 am

ironlung40 wrote:He is actually playing a rockerverb on the 1st one and a hiwatt custom 100 on the second.

You got inside knowlege ironlung40? Can't see any Hiwatt either side, only Marshalls and Engls. You sure on that?

Oh and the SG player is standing stage right!
('Stage right' is the right side of the stage for a performer when facing the audience. That is the same side as 'House Left', ie what the (house) = audience sees as left.)

Anyway I slightly prefer the sounds of both guitarists on the first clip.

I wouldn't judge a Hiwatt from one clip anyway. You can make them sound like most any other amp on the planet. Despite owning a Custom 100 I wouldn't claim to be able to recognise a Hiwatt - they are like musical chameleons.

Great band BTW. Like what I'm hearing lots!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:18 am

The overall mix is better for me on the first link I think.

The bass in particular sounds a bit too low for me on the 2nd which probably contributes to making the guitars sound a little 'hard' by comparison..
Paul.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:13 pm

a.hun wrote:
ironlung40 wrote:He is actually playing a rockerverb on the 1st one and a hiwatt custom 100 on the second.

You got inside knowlege ironlung40? Can't see any Hiwatt either side, only Marshalls and Engls. You sure on that?

Oh and the SG player is standing stage right!
('Stage right' is the right side of the stage for a performer when facing the audience. That is the same side as 'House Left', ie what the (house) = audience sees as left.)

Anyway I slightly prefer the sounds of both guitarists on the first clip.

I wouldn't judge a Hiwatt from one clip anyway. You can make them sound like most any other amp on the planet. Despite owning a Custom 100 I wouldn't claim to be able to recognise a Hiwatt - they are like musical chameleons.

Great band BTW. Like what I'm hearing lots!
Andy.
O.K. Stage right it is!!

Yeah, I have a bit of insider information as I've hung with these guys a couple of times, but how I found out about the Custom 100 was actually through a PG interview with Jonaton. He actually owns and uses the custom 100 these days in the band. I've only seen him uses RV100's in the states though, live and I assume that they rent them upon arrival here.

You can clearly see the hiwatt in the 2nd video at the 3:50 +/- mark. It doesn't have the hiwatt logo on it. It has been removed from the amp, and every time i've seen it it hasn't had the logo on it.

Here is a link to the interview:
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/I ... nburg.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He mentions a GT-OD from MXR too for venues where he can't get the Hiwatt cranking enough.

Here is a performance in my backyard in Nashville, Tn in January 2013. There is an OR50, RV100, and an AD200 on this performance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crjt3pMkX4E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by ironlung40 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:29 am

I listened to both of these clips without reading ahead and didn't even look at the youtube clips in case I would spot the proper amp... I just listened and liked #1 better, which would be the rockerverb. I like that Orange creaminess too, both amps sound good though I just prefer the 1st clip better.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:42 am

I think I'm liking the RV better too, for this band and music anyway. I guess we'll never know all things being equal how the Hiwatt and RV stack up in this context.

I think I remember hearing the guys say that they used Laney's, Oranges, and Hiwatts on the albums. Joakim stated that he had an old laney and had used some newer ones too, but that he was going to start using only Oranges. Nevertheless on what they used in the studio, I have seen them live many times and the Oranges always sound amazing for their music.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:03 am

ironlung40 wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:The first video won't play for me, but I find the sound a bit too clean on "As Years Pass By" compared to the studio version. It's an awesome song though. I'm sure I would like the Hiwatt better with a bit more gain, though I expect that I would still prefer the RV100 over it.

Randy,

Look up Graveyard Buying Truth Live from Bonnaroo 2011

that is the first one that won't load for you and the one with the rockerverb in it.

For the other comments, the AD amp on the right is an AD140HTC.
I was able to get a video of "As Years Pass By" from Bonnaroo 2011 to work. I do think the Orange sounds a bit darker, which I prefer, but the difference between the two isn't huge. I'd gladly "settle" for a Hiwatt Custom 100 if given the chance.