Changing a Wah pot

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Changing a Wah pot

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:51 am

My Jimi Hendrix Wah pot needs replacing. I bought it back in 1996 ish.

The 1st time it got scratchy, I sprayed it quite liberally with WD40. It did the trick...... but not for long!!!!! :roll:
Anyway, now I've killed and is constantly scratchy, I need to replace it - here's the confusion:

What pot do I need?
Would one of these do for old Wah? Do you guys know where I can get one in the UK?

http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merch ... y_Code=WAH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Secondly, to solder it on, can you cofirm if those will be suitable - especially the solder type:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/gogas-lead-fr ... lder/25136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.screwfix.com/p/soldering-iro ... tid=140225" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously, if that's a success..... I'll have plenty lead and a soldering iron....... :twisted: And looking up DIY pedals will become VERY interesting me thinks.... I've always wanted to do one - a fuzz or a boost or something....... :mrgreen:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Re: Changing a Wah pot

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:24 pm

The soldering iron and lead are ok.

Now for your pot, you can also look at banzai. I've often ordered from them, and it went well.

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Wah-Parts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, have you ever tried a Morley wah, with the automatic on/off, and no pot but an opto led circuitry?
The day I tried the Bad Horsies, I've put my crybaby on ebay next day. :mrgreen:

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:41 pm

Cheers!!

Never tried the bad horsie - what's different about it beside the lack of pot?

In any case my wah still want fixing.
In that link, they say that both the hot pots II (100k) and hot pots IV (470k) are suitable for wahs.
Anyone knows the difference?
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:30 pm

basically with the morley you move the foot, the wah is on, you stop to move, the wah is off.
Stupid simple, and no more fear you don't push enough to engage or disengage the wah for your killer solo part.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:50 am

Hubaxe wrote:basically with the morley you move the foot, the wah is on, you stop to move, the wah is off.
Stupid simple, and no more fear you don't push enough to engage or disengage the wah for your killer solo part.
The concept is interesting - but does that mean that you can't use it to leave your tone at a particular point on the sweep?

Does it sound like a regular wah for the rest?
Ant

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:32 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Hubaxe wrote:basically with the morley you move the foot, the wah is on, you stop to move, the wah is off.
The concept is interesting - but does that mean that you can't use it to leave your tone at a particular point on the sweep?

Does it sound like a regular wah for the rest?
If you stay for example half course on the paddle, the pedal stays engaged on the sweep point.
It switch off if the paddle comes back to the zero position for more than a few millisecond (and you can setup this time with on pot on the rear).

Go and try one. I'd never come back to a cry baby, or a non-automatic switch wah.

It's no natural that you can just accentuate the last note of a rythm part. this is impossible to do with a cry baby like wah.
You use the wah as easy as you use a trem bar.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:49 am

Hubaxe wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:41 am
amywoods wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:54 pm
I would definitely recommend this soldering iron: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p74671
Well , I hope that Ant fixed it already since 2013.. Your favorite tool must be the shovel.. to undig old post :mrgreen:

:lol:

Yeah, the wah is fixed..... and has been gathering dust ever since. I don't really use it.

Funnily though..... my soldering iron is shot!!!! So I'm actually in the market for a new one......

How did he know??? :shock:
Ant

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:12 am

I think we're dealing with a spammer... not positive but resurrecting old threads is a big red flag...

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:38 pm

bclaire wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:12 am
I think we're dealing with a spammer... not positive but resurrecting old threads is a big red flag...
Yep, old threads + shopping link don't lie. Spammers!!!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:33 pm

And a clairvoyant spammer. I do need a new soldering iron after all.
Ant

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:06 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:33 pm
And a clairvoyant spammer. I do need a new soldering iron after all.
Yeah, me too. My butane one is not behaving of late, and my corded soldering iron seems to not get hot enough.

Stu Cazz
Rocker

Post by Stu Cazz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:36 pm

I discovered a really nice and pretty unexpensive solution for scratchy pot's.
Used Deoxit for cleaning but worked only for a short time. Found out that the key was lubricating after Deoxit.
There are special lubricants out there (expensive) but after some research I found something much better.
Just inject some 100% pure mineral oil into the pot and turn it back and forth.
Try it on some old pot if you don't believe me, you will be surprised.
It goes from sandy scratch too smooth as silk in seconds.
Micro Crush/Crush Pix 12L/Micro Terror/TH30 Head with 2x PPC112/Bax Bangeetar