New Guitar Tuner & Small Pedal Board Questions

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

CarbonToe.
Tiny Terror

New Guitar Tuner & Small Pedal Board Questions

Post by CarbonToe. » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:57 am

Hi

I'm in the process of setting up a seperate practice rig for the living room.

I've the thumbs up from the missus with the caviat "as long as its not big & visually boring"

I've the amp sorted but want a mini pedalboard to lock 3-4 pedals onto which could be slid under my Television cabinet when not in use and at the mo just a tuner. (I will eventually add an Overdrive and I also like the look of the Eventide H9 as a multi use pedal)

I have a TU-3 on my main pedalboard and it works but is very boring!!! :lol:, so I fancy a Polytune for the living room. I know the mini won't be suitable as I'll need to run batteries (no local mains socket and want to minimise cables) but one question I've found it hard to get an answer to is will it swap over the display for Lefties, i.e. I want the Low E on the Right of the Poly.

For the Pedalboard I was thinking of a Pedaltrain Mini? Any better/cheaper UK suggestions?

Thanks
Gear: Kurt Cobain Jaguar, Kurt Cobain Mustang, American Std Tele ('10 3burst), Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange OR15, Orange Tiny Terror HW, Vox Night Train NT15H, Marshall JCM-1H, PPC112 Cab & a Marshall Custom Pin-Up

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: New Guitar Tuner & Small Pedal Board Questions

Post by Jondog » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:10 am

I don't think they make left handed tuners yet.

CarbonToe.
Tiny Terror

Post by CarbonToe. » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:13 am

Jondog wrote:I don't think they make left handed tuners yet.
LOL!! I expected someone to be witty!!! :mrgreen:
Gear: Kurt Cobain Jaguar, Kurt Cobain Mustang, American Std Tele ('10 3burst), Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange OR15, Orange Tiny Terror HW, Vox Night Train NT15H, Marshall JCM-1H, PPC112 Cab & a Marshall Custom Pin-Up

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:36 am

For your pedal board, I'd just get some pine board or other and make it myself. Essentially all you need is a "tray" in which you can put your pedals and that would slide easily under the TV?
You could then even paint it with a missus agreeable colour. If she choses the colour, she can't complain about it later...... :twisted:

That's what I'll do when I get a delay and fix my wha and will then need a pedal board, I'll build mine. Or so that's the plan!!!

As for the tuner, Id'say.... Live with it!

That said, I'll point something out that sombody pointed out to me not long ago re: battery/plugged in. The pitchblack tuner has a 200ma out plug. It means you can plug in you tuner, and have a daisy chain feeding 3 to 5ish pedals, perhaps more. So that could keep things reasonnably tidy re: power, so long as you can get power somewhere. If it's going to stay tidy below your TV, can't you power it from one of the plugs there?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

CarbonToe.
Tiny Terror

Post by CarbonToe. » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:11 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:That said, I'll point something out that sombody pointed out to me not long ago re: battery/plugged in. The pitchblack tuner has a 200ma out plug. It means you can plug in you tuner, and have a daisy chain feeding 3 to 5ish pedals, perhaps more. So that could keep things reasonnably tidy re: power, so long as you can get power somewhere. If it's going to stay tidy below your TV, can't you power it from one of the plugs there?
Thanks, I've just downloaded the Polytune manual and you can daisy chain pedals form it. (2A max current draw)

It also looks like you cannot swap around the display to put low E on the right, which is a bugger but not the end of the world.

I did suggest making a board to my missus but she thinks it will look too DIY!!! :roll:

Saying that I just looked up the costs of the Pedaltrain Mini (£80) and the Eventide H9 (£480)...........ouch.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:03 pm

I just finished putting together my acoustic board, which is a Pedaltrain Mini with a Fishman Aura, Boss Octave (v3) and a Polytune. It's small and compact and I power it with one of these:

I only do a few solo acoustic gigs a year so this set up is going to work really well for what I do. I can also run my Boss Looper off the Sanyo for a pretty good amount of time too.

As for tuners, since I'm in North America they turn counter clockwise, which I always thought was the same for lefties. If I ever plan a trip to Australia with my guitars though I'll have to find a clockwise to counter clockwise conversion kit.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:08 pm

The pedal train nano is a nice professional looking little board. If you don't mind spending $50 for it.

CarbonToe.
Tiny Terror

Post by CarbonToe. » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:30 pm

The Sanyo Eneloop Pedal Juice was a new product to me, looks really good but £100 buys a lot of 9v OR rechargable batteries!!

The nano is a little small as I want to get a Polytune, a T-Rex Møller 2 and possibly a Eventide H9 (assuming price drop :evil:) and leave room for future expansion.

As for the left handed tuner quips, hold your guitar vertical, a right handed guitar would have the low E on the left, a leftie would have it on the right, so its not so mad to expect my tuner to reflect this, esp if its Polyphonic! :wink:

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Pedal train jr then.

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:58 pm

I can assure you that on the Polytune, which I own, the polyphonic tuning function is basically useless as it doesn't track as well as checking a single string. I was excited about that feature at first, until I started using it with the band and had to resort to just checking each string individually. So I wouldn't let that feature sway you in your judgement of which tuner to buy, BUT I would still say that the Polytune is a great tuner, no other complaints about it. If space is an issue, you could always go with something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-CT20-Clip- ... B004W25PY8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use this little guy at home for jamming on the couch and it works great, that way I can leave my Polytune at the practice space.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:34 pm

i still maintain that the polytune is great for making on tune adjustments in between (or in the middle!) of songs. strumming once, seeing a little red LED and then zoning in on that string is a helluvalot faster than guessing unless you're really, really out.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

CarbonToe.
Tiny Terror

Post by CarbonToe. » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks All

I'm going to pop into GAK on Sunday and try out a few tuners.