Seymour Duncan SH-14

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Seymour Duncan SH-14

Post by Woodsie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:12 pm

I was helping out a friend who wanted new pickups installed in his Schecter Custom. He put a Dimebucker and Duncan Distortion in it. Not my thing but who am I to judge. Anyway, I was hesitant to take money from him but he wanted to pay me. the bridge pickup I removed was a Duncan SH-14 Custom 5. From what I can tell, it's a pretty good pickup. I told him that we'd call it even if I could keep it. He agreed. I think this will go nicely in the bridge of my LP Studio, in place of the 498T that's in there. Anyone have any experience with these?
==================================================================

littlerudolph

Re: Seymour Duncan SH-14

Post by littlerudolph » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:33 pm

Not a very hot pickup but hot enough but still acts like low output pup like most seymour duncan pickup. The custom line is pretty dark but the custom 5 is the least. its a great pickup that turn a mahog body guitar Van Halen worthy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLsktp3h ... detailpage
not my vid, just a youtube demo I found

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:14 pm

That clip is for the SH-5. Either way, I think it's worth a try. Should be an upgrade anyway.

littlerudolph

Post by littlerudolph » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:32 am

Duh :roll: .. stupid me I post pre-caffeine boost lol. SD make great pups anyway.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 am

littlerudolph wrote:Duh :roll: .. stupid me I post pre-caffeine boost lol. SD make great pups anyway.
All good my friend. lol

I have a SD JB in the bridge of my Gold Top. I like it a lot. I actually liked it more before I got my LP jr with the P90. That is my favorite now. The JB is harsh in comparison. I figure the SH14 has to be a big improvement in my Studio from the 498 or 490T, whichever it has. I forgot.

Surgeon
Tiny Terror

Post by Surgeon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:12 pm

I'm a big fan of the custom, the custom 5, not so much.

The difference between both isn't night and day but the Alnico 5 magnet in the C5 makes it sound smoother and a bit more hollow if that makes sense. It's a cool pick-up but the extra mids and top-end with a better defined bottom is what makes the Custom my favorite bridge pick-up.

If you don't like it stock, changing the mag to a ceramic to make it a custom is a piece of cake... just so you know. You could also switch it to an Alnico 2 to make it a custom-custom.

They're not super -hot but work very well for most applications though. That's a cool pick-up to get for practically free.

Progbusters

Post by Progbusters » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:45 pm

I just got a Custom5 and put it into my epiphone les paul. It sounds great. Big bass, flat mids, nice highs. Spanky on my AC15. And fits nicely with my Jim Root Terror. When I play classic metal i keep the gain around 5 and use a tubescreamer for leads - the pickup doesn't go overboard with the mids. I like lesser powered pickups when going high gain because it gives clarity and highs and doesn't give out mush and fizz.

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:24 pm

Woodsie wrote:
littlerudolph wrote:Duh :roll: .. stupid me I post pre-caffeine boost lol. SD make great pups anyway.
All good my friend. lol

I have a SD JB in the bridge of my Gold Top. I like it a lot. I actually liked it more before I got my LP jr with the P90. That is my favorite now. The JB is harsh in comparison. I figure the SH14 has to be a big improvement in my Studio from the 498 or 490T, whichever it has. I forgot.
Yeah, thought the JB was a little harsh as well but I switched it out for an Invader. It is a little hotter but still acts as a passive pup just more bass, bumped mids, and cut highs. SD's are my favorite pups by far.

Good luck. Let us know what you think of it.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:27 pm

I threw it in my Les Paul Studio. I use that guitar mainly for drop D and a backup to my Gold Top. It's a drastic improvement from the Stock 498T that was in it.

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:50 am

Woodsie wrote:I threw it in my Les Paul Studio. I use that guitar mainly for drop D and a backup to my Gold Top. It's a drastic improvement from the Stock 498T that was in it.
Glad to hear you like it. Can you explain how it is an improvement (ie clarity, more this or that, etc)? Also how does it compare to the JB you had?

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:31 am

Oh man. I'm terrible at putting what I hear into words. The Stock LP Studio pickup was just too high output, too harsh. I like the SD's tone. It's more articulate, musical, warmer. More versatile. I still have the JB in my Gold Top. I really like this pickup. I was finding it a little harsh too. Especially after I started playing my Junior with the P90. I lowered the JB a little and it came around to where I wanted it. I wish I could do better describing the differences. I'm not sure i'd pick the SH-14, if I had the choice. For free though, I'll take it.

hitgar
Orange Hero

Post by hitgar » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:04 pm

Woodsie wrote:Oh man. I'm terrible at putting what I hear into words. The Stock LP Studio pickup was just too high output, too harsh. I like the SD's tone. It's more articulate, musical, warmer. More versatile. I still have the JB in my Gold Top. I really like this pickup. I was finding it a little harsh too. Especially after I started playing my Junior with the P90. I lowered the JB a little and it came around to where I wanted it. I wish I could do better describing the differences. I'm not sure i'd pick the SH-14, if I had the choice. For free though, I'll take it.
Sounds like a good description to me. Thanks. :D

Did you add the extra cap to the JB to smooth it out? A friend told me about this and I don't have the pickup anymore to try it. He said that SD said to add it for that purpose but I don't know what value it has or where it goes.

Woodsie
Orange Expert

Post by Woodsie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:07 pm

hitgar wrote:
Woodsie wrote:Oh man. I'm terrible at putting what I hear into words. The Stock LP Studio pickup was just too high output, too harsh. I like the SD's tone. It's more articulate, musical, warmer. More versatile. I still have the JB in my Gold Top. I really like this pickup. I was finding it a little harsh too. Especially after I started playing my Junior with the P90. I lowered the JB a little and it came around to where I wanted it. I wish I could do better describing the differences. I'm not sure i'd pick the SH-14, if I had the choice. For free though, I'll take it.
Sounds like a good description to me. Thanks. :D

Did you add the extra cap to the JB to smooth it out? A friend told me about this and I don't have the pickup anymore to try it. He said that SD said to add it for that purpose but I don't know what value it has or where it goes.
I'll have to look into that.