Tiny Terror vs OR15 Question for Blues-Rock

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

fishmanchu

Tiny Terror vs OR15 Question for Blues-Rock

Post by fishmanchu » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:08 pm

I currently own a Micro Terror run through a PPC112 cab. My question is for anybody that plays similar music that I do and if the TT or the OR15 is the route to go. The MT is Ok, but seriously gets overwhelmed when I play with my son, who's a drummer. We play a lot of Black Keys, White Stripes, AC/DC, Sabbath and Foo Fighters.

Based on that selection of music would the TT or the OR15 be the better choice to handle the blues-rock sound of Black Keys, White Stripes better. Again, the MT is fine with the gain cranked, through my Big Muff when I play alone, but I'm looking for a step up to play with a drummer.

I'm leaning towards the OR15 for the EQ option and I like the tolex cover over the basic metal casing on the TT.

Thoughts?

msmith4432
Orange Master

Re: Tiny Terror vs OR15 Question for Blues-Rock

Post by msmith4432 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:38 pm

You will be fine with either one, the TT is a little more vintage fuzzy orange, at least that's what I remember being that I have never owned one just played it a few times the OR15 will be a little more compressed and have a little different feel but will do just fine in the things that you mentioned. Both will work so you really just need to play them and see which one you personally prefer. I would personally go with the or because its a little tighter which I like and it has more available gain and has an effects loop which I don't think the tiny has. As well you get a full EQ. Look at humbucker music they have great prices right now.
Mesa boogie Stiletto ace
OR 50 40th anniversary
Orange CS50
Orange 2x12 ppc
Mesa Boogie wide body 1x12
Gibson Les Paul custom black beauty(maple Fretboard)
Gibson Les Paul custom 58 vos
Gibson les Paul custom 57 vos

fishmanchu

Post by fishmanchu » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:13 pm

msmith4432 wrote:You will be fine with either one, the TT is a little more vintage fuzzy orange, at least that's what I remember being that I have never owned one just played it a few times the OR15 will be a little more compressed and have a little different feel but will do just fine in the things that you mentioned. Both will work so you really just need to play them and see which one you personally prefer. I would personally go with the or because its a little tighter which I like and it has more available gain and has an effects loop which I don't think the tiny has. As well you get a full EQ. Look at humbucker music they have great prices right now.
Awesome, thanks for your input.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:00 pm

If I could choose between the 2 with money not being a problem, I'd pick the or15, purely On looks alone. I'm shallow. :oops:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:24 am

The Tiny Terror is ideal for Sabbath. Buy it now.

StayLucky204

Post by StayLucky204 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:17 am

I have an OR15/2x12 and the tone is awesome for everything you mentioned. I play in a band that does both originals and covers, we cover both foos and sabbath. I can dial in perfect tones with ease with the OR15 @ bedroom level, moderate or buckin'! Can't really give an accurate opinion of it VS the TT cause I havn't logged that much time on one, but I did choose to buy the OR15 over it for more then just the looks, just sounded better to me.

Hope that helps, try them both out and go from there!

Cheers
Orange Micro Terror
Orange OR15
Orange 2x12-OB
Vox AC30
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Faded (Phatcat/JB)
Gibson 60s Tribute SG Special (P90s)
Fender MIM Esquire (Duncan lil'59)
Pedals: TC Trinity Reverb, MXR Carbon Copy, MXR Micro Amp, Cry Baby, Boss TU-2

kaipartai

Post by kaipartai » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:46 am

I've tried the TT once and didn't like it, and I love my OR15! It's all a matter of taste really, you have to try both and decide which on YOU like the best! Apart from sound, the OR is a clear winner, as you said, better EQ and a "real" chassi, looks better too!

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:15 pm

I'd say that the OR15 having a proper headshell, the three eq knobs, more gain on tap, and the effects loop would make it a winner for me over the Tiny Terror.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:35 pm

i'd say tiny terror. but either amp could achieve those tones, it's just the feel of them are totally different. only you can decide.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

fishmanchu

Post by fishmanchu » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:13 pm

I thank everybody for their input. I decided to pull the trigger on the OR15. I saw a deal that was too good to pass up and risk losing out. I am quite sure that either one would've been fine, but the EQ and shell really were the deciding factors to go the route I did.

Knowing myself, if I bought the TT, in the back of my mind I probably would've wished I got the OR instead. Pretty psyched about plugging in to this little beast.

Again, thanks for everybody that took time to offer their 2¢...