How do you have your amp setup?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

summerends

How do you have your amp setup?

Post by summerends » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:58 am

Hi All,

i just purchased an Orange Amp (CR12L) as a small practice amp until i am able to pick up my Hot Rod Deluxe (let it home during college). it sounds very good, and i'm definitely happy with the volume from such a little amp, but i am not much of a gear head.

I have no idea how to setup this bad boy to get the optimal tone :oops: (low,mid,high,gain settings etc). does anyone have some suggestions on this?

I'm playing a fender telecaster with noiseless pickups. I've always really played acoustics, but i really want to get into playing electric. I'm just looking for a nice sound. I have a blues driver that i'll use for distortion.

Thanks in advance for the info/suggestions! :mrgreen:

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Re: How do you have your amp setup?

Post by ScottyDanger » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:23 am

Blues tone? Might as well start with everything in the middle, and then roll the mids back a little bit, see how that suits you.
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:37 am

"blues tone" is about as subjective as "rock tone". a good starting point would be to roll off on the bass and treble and accentuate midrange. also use a lot less gain than you think you need. then...well, play something bluesy. if it's in the fingers, it'll be there.

another common solution is to hit a clean amp with something like a tubescreamer, which will more or less get you there quickly. this is useful with amps that have limited EQ controls (and i would say my oranges have all been pretty tame in their EQ sweep) or if you want to have the "blues sound" footswitchable, for example.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:59 pm

Mine is setup on my speaker cab. I find that configuration works best for me. :wink:
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

summerends

Post by summerends » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:15 pm

i'm not necessarily looking for a blues sound, i just have a blues driver petal :D

i'm still moderately "new" to electric and my availability to different tones/sounds.. id like to find something i can play a good variety on - something with a nice crunch (i.e. maxed marshall, angus young sound), also looking for something that sounds good clean.

was really just looking for some suggestions on what would sound good for clean, i'm going to fiddle with pedals and such to get my distortion.

thanks for the advice @scottydanger to start from the middle and roll back mids etc. i will try that out today.