Possible to use a Tele for Gilmour/Hendrix stuff?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:46 pm

I've always been a Gibson/Humbucker guy. I have two SGs, and two Les Pauls, so I have the humbucker thing covered, as well as a P90 in one of the SGs. Lately I've gotten back into Hendrix and Gilmour, I know both are known for Strats. I can't say that I have ever bonded with the body style of a Strat, to me you have to wear them fairly high on your body, you can't sling it low like a Les Paul.

Anyway, I was looking at this MIM Strat:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratDRBLK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But also wondering if its possible to approximate Hendrix and Gilmour tones with the bridge pickup of a Tele? Of course I understand that a Fuzzface and a Big Muff would have to come into play too. So not to sound ignorant, but is there a huge tonal difference between the bridge pickups on a Tele and that of a Strat when running thru a good amount of fuzz? This would mostly be for bedroom playing - strictly for fun. I also think that Teles look a helluva lot cooler but I have warmed to the look of Strats lately....sorta.

Between owning a small Fender combo, an Orange, a Marshall clone, and the aforementioned Gibsons, I could cover a lot of tone options if I also had a Fender single coil guitar.
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Re: Possible to use a Tele for Gilmour/Hendrix stuff?

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:34 pm

I would say if you get a Tele with a hotter wound bridge pickup you can get closer to a Strat than just a stock, twangy Tele bridge. Lots of choices there.

One place where a most Teles can't touch a Strat is the 2 and 4 position to get that "quack". I'd say you'd need a Strat to get specifically that tone. The neck pickups are a little different too. That said, I've played a lot of Hendrix, SRV on a Tele (my #1 is the Thinline in my sig). No one has ever complained at a gig when I've done it.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Absolutely.

Hendrix recorded The Wind Cries Mary on Noel's Telecaster.

I think if you're happy with the pickups, you'll be fine. Or do like I did and put a Lindy Fralin Blues Special bridge pickup in. really vintage but warmer and fatter than stock Fenders. When you listen closely to Hendrix, you hear that his guitar was pretty clean before he added fuzz and stuff....

apocalypsedude
Rocker

Post by apocalypsedude » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:19 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about a Tele with maybe a Duncan SSL5, which I believe is the current version of what Gilmour has in the black Strat. I actually live in Richmond VA, a few miles from Lindy Fralin's shop, so the Blues Special would be a contender too!
Orange Dual Dark 50
Rocker 30 head
Ceriatone 2555 (Marshall Silver Jubilee clone)
Framus 4x12 V30s
Fender Pro Jr.
LP Classic 2006
LP Standard 1993
'81 Greco, Japanese "lawsuit" LP Custom
SG Standard 1992

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:29 pm

Lindy Fralins are incredible. I swapped out my American Standard Tele pickups from Fender (1998) for a set of Fralin "Hot" Tele pickups. That's honestly all it said on the box. "Hot".

That was over 10 years ago and those pickups and my Tele Thinline has been the bar for my comparisons of guitars.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:42 am

bclaire wrote:Hendrix recorded The Wind Cries Mary on Noel's Telecaster.
ha! didn't know that one. i was just about to chime in and say that Wind Cries Mary sounds more authentic on my tele than my strat, but i guess that's a moot point now. :lol:

like said above, some stuff, only a strat can do. from what i can hear, most of hendrix's strat riffing is done on position 5 (which you can replicate on a tele) and 4 (which you can't).
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:49 am

Dave Kilminster did the entire The Wall tour with a Suhr Telecaster with a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge and a Suhr Fletcher/Landau in the Neck.

Sounded amazing and nailed all of Gilmour's parts.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:31 pm

OU818 wrote:Dave Kilminster did the entire The Wall tour with a Suhr Telecaster with a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge and a Suhr Fletcher/Landau in the Neck.

Sounded amazing and nailed all of Gilmour's parts.
This guitar had a trem? To nail Gilmour part, the trem is somehow important.

Edit: only idiots never change their mind :D I'm curious and found this... get a Tele :!:
http://youtu.be/Hu18Smz9r7s

Edit number 2: Get a strat, he's got a trem on the tele!!
http://youtu.be/q6gk0u60YVY

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:59 am

I use to play some Floyd on my Tele when I had one and it came close enough for me. I don't use the in between pickup positions much on a strat though.

I actually remember reading the solo on Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2 was done with a Les Paul with P90's.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Iceman63

Post by Iceman63 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:28 pm

Just wanted to give you a shout out apocolypsedude. I'm in Richmond myself!