Rockerverb feedback troubles with full gain

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mertas

Rockerverb feedback troubles with full gain

Post by mertas » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:37 pm

Hi,
if you put gain on dirty channel to 5:00 (full) i get strong feedback from amp to guitar and cant keep it under control.
I am playing in a small garage with our band.
Will I fix it with some noise gate pedal or is better to put some distortion pedal between guitar and amp to have possibility to put down gain on amp down?

how to solve it?
thanks

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Rockerverb feedback troubles with full gain

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:14 pm

Beside recording high gain leads, I can't see the need - imo, and I don't know everything!!!! - for having the gain that high, even for really heavy music. Have you tried less gain, higher volume and a boost for leads?

How and what do you usually use your rockerverb for?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:43 pm

Are you sitting right next to your amp when playing in the small garage? That can add a lot of feedback.

I have the gain on my TH 30 at about half, but I run an overdrive pedal in front and that adds some feedback if I don't have my noise gate pedal (ISP Decimator) on. I think a noise gate would probably solve your problem, and it's generally just a nice thing to have to quiet hiss, pedal noise, and things like that when you crank your amp up. I got mine a few years back and I can't imagine living without one now unless I only played low-gain stuff.
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:13 am

Invin wrote:Are you sitting right next to your amp when playing in the small garage? That can add a lot of feedback.

I have the gain on my TH 30 at about half, but I run an overdrive pedal in front and that adds some feedback if I don't have my noise gate pedal (ISP Decimator) on. I think a noise gate would probably solve your problem, and it's generally just a nice thing to have to quiet hiss, pedal noise, and things like that when you crank your amp up. I got mine a few years back and I can't imagine living without one now unless I only played low-gain stuff.
Yeah, I've had my ISP Decimator for about the same amount of time and feel the same way. I almost can't imagine not having one now. I used to get feedback at certain settings with boost pedals or when I stood at certain spots in relation to my amp. But now I can pretty much stand anywhere and I'm ok, no hum or hiss either. Any difference you'd be able to notice in tone is negligible at moderate settings, but it does kill the very end of your sustain if you're trying to stretch out REALLY long notes. The odd time that I want to do that, I just step on the pedal to turn it off while I hold that note though, but that's rare.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Post by nlimbaugh » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:27 am

To some extent I got better able to control high gain feedback better with practice (not that I'm so great) and have come to like a bit of feedback on tap FWIW. Move somewhere away from the direction of the speaker I spose. Feedback is my friend even if no one else likes to hear it. :lol:

richardfirebird
Tiny Terror

Post by richardfirebird » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:51 am

maybe chaging pickups? :roll:

"I killed a man 'cause he killed my goat
I put my hands around his throat
He tried to reason with the sky and the clouds
But it didn't matter, 'cause they can't hear a sound
It's just the curl of the burl"

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:09 am

mertas wrote:Hi,
if you put gain on dirty channel to 5:00 (full) i get strong feedback from amp to guitar and cant keep it under control.
I am playing in a small garage with our band.
Will I fix it with some noise gate pedal or is better to put some distortion pedal between guitar and amp to have possibility to put down gain on amp down?

how to solve it?
thanks
Thats not suprising with that amount of gain but how close are you to the Amp?
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

mertas

Post by mertas » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:47 am

garage has 3x5 meter and i am 1,5 m from the amp

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:39 am

That is a lot of gain. It isn't really too surprising you are getting feedback in a small space with the gain control maxed like that. Try shifting the balance of volume / gain and also the position of your speaker cab.

If you want to be sure you haven't got a microphonic valve you could always do a simple tap test:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... 38#p523138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
Last edited by a.hun on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:27 am

Getting feedback when you're on full gain is kind of a given fact. Especially in a small garage.