Should I look at the ad30?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jeffp

Should I look at the ad30?

Post by jeffp » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:25 am

I'm waiting patiently for the or100. No, not really. It's very hard. I think the rv50 is a solid 2nd choice. But, I wonder if I'm overlooking the ad30? I m only into classic rock and ill never change. I'm an older player and I know... It's only rock roll but I like it! I was sure about the two channels and the effect loop. I have a g system on a very nice and simple pedalboard. I have to admit looking at a few videos the ad seems all rock but lacking the must have effects loop. I like old fashioned overdrive (think tom pettys Mary Jane, neil youngs cowgirl in the sand,thin lizzys jailbreak , doobies bros, allman bros kinda tone.I'm somewhat afraid of ending up with something too modern in gain. Any need for worry on the new or?

BrianFantana
Orange Master

Re: Should I look at the ad30?

Post by BrianFantana » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:04 am

The AD30 (in my opinion) is the best sounding current production Orange amp.
...and I own one for this reason.

superguitarrero

Post by superguitarrero » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:12 am

I just got on ebay an AD15 a few days ago, and the only thing I can say I don't like is the fx loop, but I can live without it. Sounds amazing for me, not too modern, not much gain either, takes pedals amazingly well, very dynamic and very clear... It's got it all for me, but reverb and fx loop. The old ad30 is basically like this, but more power, and the 2 channels model is gorgeous too. If you ask me, definitely check the AD's
AD1512

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Of course you should look at the AD30. It's quite good looking after all..... ;)

I've got an AD15 & RV50 MKI.

They both can do the same things. It's true, the AD15 is more vintage, very fuzzy, lots of sag, very compressed, meaning, you can go from cleanish playing to dirty by picking harder, with barely a change in volume.

It souds brilliant, however, it is quite short on gain, only 2 gain stages, I wish it had a 3rd. Great sounding amp.

The RV50 is different - uncompressed clean channel & compressed dirty channel.
Whereas the AD30 could do dirty and dirtier at any volume, the RV50 will need to be deafingly loud to do that.

For what it's worth, I prefer my RV50 - probably because its dirty channel it warmer, and has more gain available. I don't need buckets of gain, but at noon with a LP and sounds epic - adjust to taste...... :mrgreen:
I think the RV50 does blues better than the AD amps, though the AD will do most classic non marshall type rock better.

Both great amps. No idea about the OR100 - we're all waiting for your feedback on it..... ;)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:23 pm

I currently own an AD30htc, OR50 and TT and I play/gig a lot of classic rock, blues, blues rock.

The AD30 will cover pretty well all of the examples you listed except for maybe the Allman Brothers (I'll get to that here in a sec). The drive on the AD30 is a little looser and grittier in the bottom end than Mike Campbell's typical AC30 drive but that just makes it cool IMO. The reason I say the AD30 would have a little trouble "nailing" the Allman tones is simply a lack of bigger iron and clean headroom. I've always found the Duane/Betts tones to be surprisingly clean and just on the verge of breakup. That said, I've played a lot of ABB on my AD30 and it does great. It can do just on the verge of breakup to mid gain nicely.

Do you absolutely need 2 channels? I only ask because I've started gigging my OR50 since I got it last year (I've owned the AD30 for 5-6 years now). It's a great vintage sounding amp and with the defeat-able master and your guitar volume you can get some great cleans and good dirt. No loop though.

From most accounts the OR100 is similar to the OR15 and the OR15 seems to have a more modern vibe than vintage. I personally would try the OR100 before buying if that's the case.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:59 pm

Hell yes you should get an AD30!!!!!!
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:28 pm

The amp you really want for that is a Rocker 30. :) No loop, but none of those classic rock guitar god dudes used loops back then either.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:07 pm

BrianFantana wrote:The AD30 (in my opinion) is the best sounding current production Orange amp.
...and I own one for this reason.
The Micro Crush Pix is the best sounding current production Orange amp I own... (Fact!) :wink:
baytamusic wrote:The amp you really want for that is a Rocker 30. :) No loop, but none of those classic rock guitar god dudes used loops back then either.
Discontinued, but a big +1. If you don't actually need 100W, which I suspect you might not if thinking about an AD30.

Different amps though the R.30 and AD30. I'm actually wondering how similar the preamps of the R.30 and the OR100 will turn out to be. Obviously the OR100 clean channel has more controls, but even so the R.30 always did a pretty good take on the vintage OR amps both sound and feel wise. The AD30 in contrast is a very good Orange take on a (very compressed) vintage style amp. The ORs were ever exactly typical vintage amps, and were very uncompressed. Time will tell how close to the vintage ones the new OR100 will be in that respect, but I'd be surprised if it was anything like as compressed as the AD30.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

jeffp

Post by jeffp » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:30 pm

very interesting opinions!......How feasible would it be for a proffesional to install a loop in a Rocker30, or AD30?

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:36 pm

I just sent back an AD30HTC and have owned an RV50 since 2007. The AD30 is much fizzier, but I did not have the chance to experiment with changing out the stock "PM" chinese preamp tubes. The AD30 runs pretty hot and was/is much louder than my RV50 biased at 20mA. So don't think the AD30 is a quiet amp by any means. I prefered my 6v6 RV50 quite a bit more than the AD30.

My best advice, try before you buy - or at least be able to return it if you don't like it for some reason.