OT: Collaboration

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jax510
Rocker

OT: Collaboration

Post by jax510 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:05 pm

I noticed that a lot of artists in the r&b, hip hop and rap world work together on songs all the time it seems like. All these songs of so and so featuring so and so. Why do they do that, and why don't rock bands tend to do it? I mean, you get "super groups" that put out albums but rarely do rock artists join up to write a single song. Is that the nature of the music genre's or do rock players tend to have more of an ego when it comes to writing songs or what?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: OT: Collaboration

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Slash has done that - collaborated with many other artist - Lenny kravitz, Michael Jackson (if memory serves me well?) and I believe even did a solo album with all songs made with various other artists.

Nick cave has collaborated with a few people too - I'm sure there are plenty others.

Sadly - to me - Hip & Hop, rap and rnb sells a lot more volume - and so collaborations are a lot more noticed. I guess they probably are engineered by agents who don't care so much about the music but know good associations will shift a lot of crap to the masses.

Did I mention yet that i hate rap, hip hop and rnb????? And marketing?

Well, I didn't see that rant coming..... :lol:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Invin
Orange Hero

Post by Invin » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:27 pm

One theory I have is that the R&B/hiphop world is all about individual names and not so much full bands, and usually featuring another big name in their song title only requires sampling a line or two of vocals and looping it in the chorus. Cheap promotion, more sales, minimal effort.

Personally I'm not a big fan of it in any genre. I can't really think of any favorite songs I have with guest vocals on them :?
TH 30
Eminence Wizard & Governor 2x12
ESP Eclipse II JB/'59, Charvel San Dimas Style 2 JB/'59
Tomkat Bender, TU-2, Crybaby Mini, Palisades, Xotic RC, Euphoria, MVP, Sentry, Blue Sky, Grand Orbiter V2, Timeline, Alter Ego, Dispatch Master, Ditto X2

philhed
Rocker

Post by philhed » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:51 pm

Invin wrote: I can't really think of any favorite songs I have with guest vocals on them :?
paul mc cartney and john lennon sing the backing vocals on "we love you" by the rolling stones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6D3jE4A24o

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:51 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:Slash has done that - collaborated with many other artist - Lenny kravitz, Michael Jackson (if memory serves me well?) and I believe even did a solo album with all songs made with various other artists.

Nick cave has collaborated with a few people too - I'm sure there are plenty others.

Sadly - to me - Hip & Hop, rap and rnb sells a lot more volume - and so collaborations are a lot more noticed. I guess they probably are engineered by agents who don't care so much about the music but know good associations will shift a lot of crap to the masses.

Seems Fatherhood is mellowing you somewhat Ant :lol:
Paul.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:00 pm

OrangePaul wrote:
Les Paul Lover wrote:Slash has done that - collaborated with many other artist - Lenny kravitz, Michael Jackson (if memory serves me well?) and I believe even did a solo album with all songs made with various other artists.

Seems Fatherhood is mellowing you somewhat Ant :lol:

I will try and remember to insert multiple expletives next time in order to keep up the standards.... ;)

And Yes, it does mellow one out a bit. His 1st tooth made an appearance this weekend - got me all misty eyed..... :D
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:43 pm

I think it may have to do with how the songs are produced. For rap a lot of the creative process is in the studio, while rock bands write before they get in the studio.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;