Different High Gain amps under $350

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Mattydaddy1

Post by Mattydaddy1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Hey again guys, so I'm just a hobbyist in my basement. I am starting to dabble into the high gain world for prog. metal type music to annoy my wife with. I currently get most my high gain sound from a Metal Muff W/ Top boost pushed by a Tubeworks Tubedriver (Bumble bee) to give it a more realistic tubey sound. My AD30 just doesn't get me into the highgain world, just wondering what you all would suggest to look for on Craigslist/Guitarcenter used under $350. I've heard such polarizing reviews on just about every head. I'm wanting to run it through my ad30 speakers (V30's). I'm not brand specific so if you have a good recommendation for a Crate, Carvin, Peavey or anything else I'm into for the sound. I like the sounds of the Dual Recs and 5150. Anyone on a Blue Voodoo?
Guitars: 01' AM. Telecaster STD, 04' BC Rich FX6, Taylor 710 L9, DIY Cigarbox slide
Amps: Orange AD30TC, 65' Fender Bandmaster, 65' Ampeg M-15, 67' Gibson Hawk, Crate Gunnison

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Re: Different High Gain amps under $350

Post by baytamusic » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:23 pm

I'm not personally a high gain player, but I've always thought that for that sort of tone, the 5150 sounds pretty dang good.

Mattydaddy1

Post by Mattydaddy1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:32 pm

baytamusic wrote:I'm not personally a high gain player, but I've always thought that for that sort of tone, the 5150 sounds pretty dang good.
Right, I agree they are pretty sweet, but they are outside of what I'm really looking to spend, So I'm seeing if some lesser known brands, or sleeper amps are out there that I don't already know.

I've only been playing guitar for 6-7 years now. My amps started off super clean with the bandmaster, then got a little dirtier with the ampeg and the Gibby when pushed, then I got the AD30 and have been into heavier rock/ stoner, now I'm craving some chug chug chug, but as a percentage of my playing towards that style is only about 10% of my playing. I like not love the sound of the Metal Muff with the Real tube, but it's still just guitar foreplay I'm looking to go all the way and willing to pay for it, but with a cheap hooker.
Last edited by Mattydaddy1 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guitars: 01' AM. Telecaster STD, 04' BC Rich FX6, Taylor 710 L9, DIY Cigarbox slide
Amps: Orange AD30TC, 65' Fender Bandmaster, 65' Ampeg M-15, 67' Gibson Hawk, Crate Gunnison

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:34 pm

Keep an eye out for a sovtek mig. That's exactly what you want, and they're in that price range.

Otherwise, you could get a (better) metal pedal. The metal muff isn't the greatest out there. Check out some pedals like a wampler triple wreck, an Emma psyiuoadoat (or however you spell that), or something like a blackout musket
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Mattydaddy1

Post by Mattydaddy1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:54 pm

jason41224 wrote:Keep an eye out for a sovtek mig. That's exactly what you want, and they're in that price range.

Otherwise, you could get a (better) metal pedal. The metal muff isn't the greatest out there. Check out some pedals like a wampler triple wreck, an Emma psyiuoadoat (or however you spell that), or something like a blackout musket
I've heard great things about the Poor Man's Marshall, but does this max out in crunch territory or does it go super heavy?

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:02 pm

the one i played got pretty heavy. but then what would i know...i play BTBAM-esque prog metal with a Rocker 30 in one of my bands ;) definitely had more gain and a more metallic sound than the Rocker, not to mention the AD30
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Mattydaddy1

Post by Mattydaddy1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:04 pm

jason41224 wrote:the one i played got pretty heavy. but then what would i know...i play BTBAM-esque prog metal with a Rocker 30 in one of my bands ;) definitely had more gain and a more metallic sound than the Rocker, not to mention the AD30
So more like a JCM800 or 900?

As far as the Metal pedal, I picked up the MM for $35, just to see if I would like playing heavier stuff. Turns out I do, but as with any pedal, I want to get the sound out of the amp if i can.

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:51 pm

A few of the amps mentioned already are probably going to be way over your budget. For that price, I'd recommend a Randall. You can usually find them pretty cheap on the used market, should be within reach of your budget. Even their solid state or hybrid 2X12 combos sound really good for chugging metal riffs.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Mattydaddy1

Post by Mattydaddy1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:14 pm

DiabloS wrote:A few of the amps mentioned already are probably going to be way over your budget. For that price, I'd recommend a Randall. You can usually find them pretty cheap on the used market, should be within reach of your budget. Even their solid state or hybrid 2X12 combos sound really good for chugging metal riffs.
Randalls didn't even cross my mind, that's great that's why I'm asking. Any models in particular? Also I think I might be able to get a Blue Voodoo for that range, maybe not, any experience there?

DiabloS
Orange Master

Post by DiabloS » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:23 pm

Mattydaddy1 wrote:
DiabloS wrote:A few of the amps mentioned already are probably going to be way over your budget. For that price, I'd recommend a Randall. You can usually find them pretty cheap on the used market, should be within reach of your budget. Even their solid state or hybrid 2X12 combos sound really good for chugging metal riffs.
Randalls didn't even cross my mind, that's great that's why I'm asking. Any models in particular? Also I think I might be able to get a Blue Voodoo for that range, maybe not, any experience there?
I had both the G2 (solid state) and G3 (hybrid) series combo amps years ago when I played mostly metal, I always thought they were great bang for the buck metal amps.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... -amplifier

My taste has changed since then and I won't say it's as good as a $2000 all tube amp or anything, but they're great for the price on the used market. You can usually find them for roughly $350-ish. I've known 3 other people who have owned this same amp and they were all happy with it for playing metal too.
DOWNLOAD THE DIABLO STRANGE EP FOR FREE HERE -> http://diablostrange.bandcamp.com

Currently own:
Dual Terror
Micro Terror
PPC212OB

Used to own:
Thunderverb 50
Rocker 30
Tiny Terror

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:41 am

I don't think the Blue Voodoo will be the best choice unless you find a really good pedal to do the heavy lifting. I don't consider it to be a "metal amp" by a longshot, though it could serve as a cleanish pedal platform. I have a Crate PowerBlock (150 watts solid-state) that I'd rather use as a pedal platform for metal, especially for the price ($100 on Craigslist). It can even make a Boss Metal Zone sound slightly better than terrible. I have seen 5150 1x12 combos in my area for around $350, so that could be an option too.

I was actually in a similar situation to you a while back. I didn't want to spend a lot since I only like to mess around with heavier stuff occasionally and didn't want to spend a lot. I also didn't want to spend a lot. I ended up getting a Randall Titan head (200 watts solid-state) for $150 on Craigslist. It is surprisingly good for metal and 80's stuff. There's enough gain that I don't need or want to use a pedal with it. It's also got separate controls for mid level and mid frequency, so it's not just a scoopy headache machine. Titans aren't that easy to find, but solid-state Randalls generally are a great value on the used market for metal players. That should at least give you a few more amps to consider.

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:50 pm

Get ya a peavey butcher and slam it with a pedal.

Mattydaddy1

Post by Mattydaddy1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:00 pm

jojo68 wrote:Get ya a peavey butcher and slam it with a pedal.
That's another JCM sleeper, would be nice, but once again out of the budget.

Mattydaddy1

Post by Mattydaddy1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:38 pm

Can B52's get me there????? I've heard the AT-100 is the poor man's Mesa??? Anyone???? Are they worth the money or just a waste?

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:17 am

The 5150's are great, but will be out of that 350 range. They do need some volume, though. It's cousin XXX may be had for that or more like $400ish.
It's a cross between a 5150 and a Recto. Sounds great at low volumes. Switches power tubes, too.

The Krank 1Gen Revolution is a great head that can be had cheap. High gain, but not super high gain.
Definitely loud, too. I have a bunch of heads, but wanted something to horse around with in my basement.

I picked up the Solid State Dime head for a deuce. It does need Greenbacks or better for a good sound.
I am happy with it. I can run down, hit the switch, and play on!.

Otherwise , for a bit more, I would get the Thunderverb 200.
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------